Chapter 29

I gulped as I looked at Jay. He motioned me to come over to him. I slowly walked over and let him put his arm around me. He looked over at Jeff. "Thank you for helping me find Elena. Well leave you two alone now." With that, I left with Jay and my basket. 

 "Um...I was going to come find you...I wondered if you wanted to have a picnic.." I began. Jay just nodded. He didn't speak. I sighed and stopped walking. Jay stopped walking and looked at me, his arms crossed. "Jay, I know you're frustrated. I don't blame you. But-"

 "But what, Elena? Why do you not want him killed?? Do you want to die?? Do you want any of us to die?? If so, then why do we have to hide our marks??"

 "Jay, please!" I begged. I took a deep breath and looked at him with a firm but gentle expression. "Part of me does want him dead. Part of me wants him to pay for his crimes. But another part of me doesn't want him dead because he has a son. He's twelve years old...He's been adopted three times but he was returned. And finally, just so he'd have an heir, Alpha Richard adopted him two months before my birthday. That boy needs a home...He needs someone to love him...If Alpha Richard dies, that boy will go back to the orphanage. Who knows if he'll ever be adopted again. We both know it's hard to find older kids a home..."

 Jay's eyes went wide at my explanation. He narrowed them and looked me in the eyes, as if trying to see if I was being truthful. "This is the truth...Isn't it?" 

 "Yes, Jay. His name is Charles. But he prefers to go by Charlie." I said softly.

 "Why didn't you tell us any of this?" Jay asked, his frustration flaring again.

 "Because, like I said before. Part of me wants him to pay for his crimes. I am angry with him for what he's done. And Charlie and I were never close friends. He goes to a private school in the pack. Sometimes, I hate to admit this, but I forget about him. No one talked about him much back at the pack."

 "That's sad..." Jay mumbled. I gave a small frown. I closed my eyes, taking him in my arms. I knew he knew very well what it was like being an orphan. I knew he had a hard time with it. Jay gave me a small smile as he tucked my hair behind my ear. I blushed a little. Jay sighed. "Alright. I understand your reasoning. If I can, I will keep him alive. I promise. But if I can't, then I will adopt Charlie myself. I promise you that."

 I could feel tears forming in my eyes as I blushed at his words. I smiled at him and hugged him tight. "I love you, Jay...."

 "I love you too, Elena, my beauty..." Jay whispered into my ear. When we finally let go of the embrace, Jay still held my hand in his. "Come on. We can go have that picnic now."

 I nodded and let him lead me to the park. We stopped at a nice little spot near a stream and set up our picnic. 

 "Ooo, ham and cheese sandwiches!" Jay smiled, his eyes sparkling. I laughed as I watched him unwrap a sandwich. In the time I've known him, I learned he really likes his ham and cheese sandwiches. "Mmmm!~ These are good, Elena!" he said between mouthfuls. 

 I chuckled a little as I took a napkin from the basket. "Here, Jay, let me help you. You have a little mustard on your chin." I reached over and wiped his chin clean. We both were blushing. I looked down bashfully. I took a bite of my own sandwich. "I'm glad you like the sandwiches."

 Jay smiled at me. "I think I would like any food that you make, beauty."

 I rolled my eyes. "Jay, it's hard to mess up a sandwich."

 "Well, these are the best sandwiches I've ever had." he replied, taking another bite. 

 "Well, I'll have to make more of them." I told him, smiling at him. I took a bag of cheddar sour cream potato chips out of the basket and opened them.

 "I'll look forward to it." Jay smiled back, taking a bite of a chip. He gave a small smile as he sighed, looking around. "I remember our first picnic..." 

 I nodded slowly, giving him a small smile. "That was the day my niece was born...And the day I found out that you had the stupidest hobby." Jay and I laughed.

 "Well, I've changed since then." he replied.

 "Only after you scared me half to death." Jay looked down in embarrassment. I gave him a reassuring smile, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Jay, it's ok...I just...I was just scared...But I understand why you did it...I just don't want it to happen again..."

 "And it won't, beauty...." Jay said in a quiet voice. He put his arm around me and I leaned my head on his shoulder. I could see his eyes shifting from his own to his wolf's. I know Jay says it won't happen again, but I just....I don't know...I just can't help but feel scared it might happen again...And seeing Bolt hovering in Jay's eyes, wasn't reassuring.