Chapter 22

The next day, Elisa and I went with Kian to the pack house. Elisabeth had Evelyn in her arms. When we got there, I saw Jay, sitting on the stairs. He looked upset. I frowned before telling my brother and his mate to go on ahead. They nodded in understanding and went inside. 

 "Mind if I join you?" I asked gently.

 "Go ahead..." he mumbled. 

 I gave a small smile as I sat down beside him, putting my arm around him. I let his head rest on my shoulder as I gently played with his hair. "They told you about the meeting last night?" He nodded in response. "I assume it's bad news...?"

 "Well, no, actually. It's good news. It's just the information was a little distressing." 

 "What was it?" I asked. Kian hadn't yet told me about the meeting. He was probably as distressed as Jay right now, so he just didn't want to talk about it.

"We've narrowed down that the spy is a warrior. Male. Which doesn't exactly help a ton, seeing as we don't have many female warriors, but, still, it helps a little." 

 I nodded slowly in understanding. "So, do we have any ideas as to who he might be?" 

 "Not really." he stated, shaking his head. "I hate to think that one of the warriors did this....Especially one that has been around for a long time...But, there's no other option..."

 "Why?" I asked, frowning.

 "No warriors joined our pack recently. And even if they had, if they wanted to continue being a warrior in our pack, they would have to go through a six month trial." Jay told me, raising his head to look at me. "Joseph and Janie want to be sure they can trust the warriors that come to our pack. They want to be sure they can handle themselves.

  Because of that six month long trial, and no warriors joining the pack in the past year, it's impossible for it to be someone new. Joseph said he would keep us posted on any new developments." 

 At Jay's explanation, I suddenly understood why my brother and Jay seemed upset. Warriors are trusted by the members of the pack. By the Alpha, Luna, Beta, and Gamma. They are supposed to protect the pack with their lives. Not betray it. When he joined this pack and became Beta, Kian came to trust the warriors here a lot. And Jay grew up here, so naturally, he trusts the warriors here a lot as well. 

 "I assume Joseph isn't thrilled with this information either?" I asked quietly.

 Jay shook his head and shrugged. "Not really. I think we all are glad we have some information on who the spy is. But also, I think we're all a little frustrated with the fact it's a warrior."

 I nodded slowly. "Perhaps this warrior was threatened....? Maybe he didn't have a choice." I suggested, trying to raise his spirits.

 "Even if that is the case, we would have to relieve him of his duties as warrior. He has broken our trust. And you know very well trust is something that must be earned. It's hard to earn it once it's been broken. And when it comes to this, I don't think he could ever rebuild our trust enough to resume his duties." Jay told me in a firm, but gentle voice.

 I sighed, nodding in understanding. "You're right..." That's all I said. We didn't talk any further on the subject of the spy. If Jay was anything like Kian, he most likely didn't want to talk about it.

 We sat there in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company. Jay had his head leaning on my shoulder, a small smile resting on his face. 

 A while later however, Kallan came running towards the pack house, tears rolling down his cheeks and blood on his head. Jay and I looked at him, frowning in concern. We stood up as he stopped in front of us, panting and crying.

 "What's happened, Kallan?" Jay asked in a firm voice.

 He just shook his head and ran off inside. I looked over at Jay, frowning. "Something is very wrong with him." I stated. Jay nodded in agreement. "Where was he this morning? Do you know?"

 Jay shook his head, shrugging. "He wasn't at breakfast. I don't know where he was. Even his friends didn't know."

 "Hmm...Maybe we should go see what's wrong..." I said slowly. 

 "Alright, beauty." Jay replied, standing up. 

We walked inside hand-in-hand. When we approached Kallan's room, we suddenly heard screaming. Jay and I frantically hurried inside the room, only to stop short, our eyes wide. Right in front of us, stood Kallan, shirtless. But, that really was not what had us shocked and worried. Kallan had a bandage wrapped around his chest and stomach. It was bloody and it looked like it really needed to be changed.

 Rose was crying in his arms, as he tried to comfort her. Elanor was being comforted by Ash. Kallan looked like he was in pain and bleeding. We needed to tend to his injuries and stop that bleeding. Not being human, does not mean you won't die if you lose too much blood.

 Jay growled, making everyone's gaze snap towards us. Jay has grown really protective of them. I think he's begun to think of them as family. Kallan looked down, still holding Rose. Jay held a serious, angry look in his eyes. But I doubt highly he was mad at Kallan. Most likely, he was mad at whoever hurt him. As am I.

 At that moment, Joseph, Elisa, Kian, and Janie came hurrying up. Elisa carrying a crying Evelyn. They stopped short, their eyes wide. Kallan seemed to cower under our gaze. The poor boy...I felt so bad for him...I've never seen him like this before.

 Joseph stepped forward and lifted his head to look at his head wound. He held a serious look on his face. "You have some explaining to do, Kallan."