Chapter 8

It was a hard time for all of us. Joseph, I could tell, felt really bad. Jay trained harder than ever. Kian was often alone in his room. Usually with tears in his eyes as he stared off into space, or looking at an old picture of daddy and mom, tears in his eyes. Kian and I were really close to our parents, so I guess their death, really affected us. I often was alone. Part of me longed for Jay to just be there for me and comfort me, but he never came. I was alone most of the time. I mean, I saw them at meals, of course, and even plenty of other times. Kian, I hadn't seen at meals in a couple days. Elisabeth I didn't see as much either. But I can't blame her. She has a baby and she's trying her best to comfort my brother. I do go see my brother in his room sometimes, but he never says anything. Neither of us say anything. I just sit beside him with my arm around him. 

 I sighed sadly as I sat down on my bed with a book. At that moment, I heard a knock on the door. I sniffed the air and sadly realized it wasn't Jay. But, I was surprised that it was Kian. 

 "Come in," I spoke softly. He slowly entered. "Kian...?" I looked at him. 

 He looked down at the floor. "Elena, I'm sorry...I've basically been just...shutting people out in all my grief....That wasn't right. I haven't even held my own daughter...I'm a terrible person!" 

 "No, you aren't! Never say that about yourself, ever! You are the best brother in the world! You are a great husband, father, and friend. I don't think they could ever ask for better than you. What matters now, is that we're all there for each other. All we have, Kian, is each other. I will always be there for you no matter what." 

 "And I'll always be there for you, little sister..." he gave me a small smile before hugging me. When we released each other, we sat down on the bed. 

 "Something needs to be done about Joseph and Jay." I told him. 

 "What do you mean?" 

 "Joseph, it's obvious, feels really bad. Like he failed us. Jay, I think you can guess." 

 He closed his eyes and put his hand on his head. "You're kidding....That idiot!" 

 "Kian, what happened with Jay? Why does he train so much?" 

 "I don't know much. You'd have to ask him. Though I'm not sure you'd get much out of him. But I was there, a few years ago, when he trained so hard, he just...collapsed. We were all worried about him. Elisa, me, Joseph, and Janie. I think something happened years ago to his family. That's made him....cold, very protective of those he considers family, and it's caused him to work harder. Much harder." 

 "He can't keep this up, Kian! Werewolf or not, he's gonna give himself a heart attack!" 

 "I know. Either that or something will happen. And it won't be good." I nodded and sighed. Oh, Jay...What's wrong with you..? "I suggest we talk to Joseph first. I know we need to talk to Jay, but one, I think only you can talk some sense into his hard head," I raised an eyebrow at him. "Ok, ok, sorry. But it's true. Jay is really stubborn. Anyways, two, he's gonna be harder to get through to than Joseph." 

 "Maybe you're right. Let's go.." 

 We got up and went to the pack house to find Alpha Joseph. We found him in his office, surrounded with paperwork. Janie was there with him. 

 "Hey, Joseph, Janie.." Kian greeted. 

 "Oh...Um.. .Hi, guys.." Joseph said slowly. I could hear the guilt in his voice. 

 "Listen, Joseph, we know you feel guilty for not being able to stop this. But it wasn't you're fault." I began. 

 "But if I went there or something-" 

 "No! Dude, quit it! I'm the idiot here, not you. Well, possibly Jay, but that's another story." Kian interrupted. 

 "It was no one's fault but Alpha Richard. Don't blame yourself for something you had no control over.....He probably would have killed them anyway....." I went quiet at the last part. I sighed sadly, looking up at him. 

 "They're right, Joseph....You're in here all the time, trying to find a way to bring him to justice. It'll happen in time but we won't be ready or win this battle if you are too busy blaming yourself for their parents' deaths." Janie said firmly but gently. "I love you. You know that. But I am not going to sit here and watch you feeling sorry for yourself. Now, let's go eat. And then I say, we have a date in our room." 

 Joseph sighed. "I guess your right...I'm sorry, Elena, Kian...I'm sorry, my love." 

 "It's ok, Joseph," I said softly. Joseph left the room with Janie. I stood there, thinking about my mate. 

 "One down, one to go. And this one, is not gonna be easy." Kian remarked. I nodded slowly. Somehow, I had a bad feeling something was wrong. Misty was whining. 

 "Misty, what's going on?" 

 "Something's wrong with our mate!" My eyes went wide at her words. Something was wrong with Jay....?