Chapter 44

A couple days had past. During this time, rogues had attacked our pack. We were able to capture a few for questioning. They've been thrown in the dungeon below the pack house. Joseph, Kian, and Jay have all been down there multiple times. More times than I can count it seems like. Several times, they've been with a couple warriors. Some I actually know. Warriors Don and Felicia are down there with them right now, actually. 

 I sighed, shaking my head as I sat at a table in a restaurant with Kallie, Lily, Vicky, Elisa, and Janie. We were catching up and getting to know each other. Hanging out at the mall. It did take a while to convince Vicky to come with us, seeing as Alec is still ill. But, in the end, she finally agreed to come. Mainly because Alec told her too, probably.

 I tried to focus on the conversation and company, but my mind kept wandering to the rogues, Alpha Richard, his son, and the spy. Who could the spy be?? Jay, Joseph, Kian, and Janie have limited all information to only those few warriors who have their utmost trust. Don, Felicia, Jake, and Patrick. They all have been in on a few meetings. They really trust them and so do I. But....I can't help but wonder....No one but them knows about our plans. No one but them have been in on the questioning of the rogues, who haven't given up any info. 

 In my mind, the traitor has to be one of those four warriors. I hated the idea of it. And I knew my Joseph, Janie, my brother, and mate would hate it too. But, I have an uneasy feeling that I'm right...Even Misty seems to agree. She's never cared for Don or Jake. Usually, I'd shrug it off. But now that I really think about it, I wonder if maybe one of them is the spy...I also wonder though....Why? Why would they betray the pack? Their friends and family? Everyone they care about? Maybe they were threatened? But how did Alpha Richard even get access to them in the first place?? I need to talk to Jay, Kian, and Joseph...

 "Elena!" I was suddenly brought out of my thoughts by Kallie's exclamation. I sat bolt upright and looked at her. "Finally. I've been calling your name for five minutes." Kallie rolled her eyes. I knew that was probably an exaggeration, but it's fine. Kallie is prone to exaggerate sometimes.

 "Sorry, I was thinking about something." I admitted sheepishly. "What were you saying?"

 "Well, we wanted to know how you and Jay met." Kallie stated. "What were you thinking about anyway? Your mate?~"

 I chuckled. "Not quite, Kal."

 "Then what's on your mind?"

 "Just the whole situation with Alpha Richard..." I said quietly.

 My friends nodded slowly in understanding. "He wants war. Doesn't he?" Lily asked gently. I nodded in response. "And it's coming soon. Isn't it?" 

 I sighed and nodded. "Yes. Perhaps sooner than we think." I could see the frightened looks in my three best friends' eyes. "I don't mean to frighten you. But I'm not going to lie to you. The situation is serious. I want you and your mates to be on guard at all times. Do not let it down until this is all over." I turned to Vicky. "Alec knows and understand the situation already. He already has his guard up. With his illness, it may have been put down. Keep him safe and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid."

 "I will, Elena. Don't worry." Vicky nodded and smiled. 

 I gave them a smile. "Why don't we get back to our conversation now? We're here to hang out and have fun. Not dwell on the bad things happening."  

 We laughed and went back to our cheerful conversation. I told them about how Jay and I met. Kallie, Lily, and Vicky didn't yet know we marked one another. I couldn't wait till this was all over. Then we could finally make our marks public. 

 It wasn't long till we finished our meal at the restaurant. We left the place, laughing and talking. But, I suddenly stopped, frowning. I had this strange feeling....Like we were being watched and followed. I growled and mind-linked Janie. "Get the girls to safety. I think someone is following us."

"What are you going to do??" Janie asked.

 "I am going to mind-link Jay. Don't worry about me. I'll be alright." Janie nodded and in a low tone explained what was going on. I watched as they hurried away. 

 I shifted before mind-linking my mate. "We need your help at the mall. Someone is following and watching us. The girls have gone to safety. I'm going to try and hold them off if they try anything funny. But please get here quick."

 I didn't have to wait long for Jay's response. "Jeff, Kian, Joseph, and I are all on our way now. We'll be there soon. Be careful, Elena. I love you."

 "I will. I love you too." I responded before shutting off the link. A familiar scent caught my attention. I growled and slowly walked forward, following the scent. The closer I seemed to get, the more farther away it seemed to get. I growled in frustration before leaping forward. This jerk will not escape. Not on my watch. 

 He couldn't possibly escape when I was using my cat-like speed and abilities. "One more leap and we got him." Misty told me. I smirked and leaped forward with a roar. I landed on a man, knocking him to the ground. He looked at me with fear, blocking his face with his hands. 

 "P-please don't hurt me!" he pleaded. 

 I growled. I didn't move off of him but I wasn't going to hurt him unless he did something dumb. I mind-linked him with a firm, angry tone. "Don't move and you won't be hurt. Don."