Chapter 47

When the boys came back from questioning Don, I could see they were clearly mad. I frowned. Did things go that bad? Did they get any information. They walked into Joseph's office and the door was slammed shut.

 I closed my eyes, groaning. "I am going to get into so much trouble...." I remarked to Misty.

 "Well, me taking over wouldn't help our case much. I want to do the same thing." she stated.

 I sighed heavily and looked at my companions. Janie and Elisa, I could tell, were thinking the same thing as me. 

 "We're eavesdropping, aren't we?" Elisa asked.

 "Definitely." Janie nodded. 

 "Won't they get mad if they find out...?" Kiera asked softly. She and Jeff had come not long after Joseph, Jay, and Kian went down to see Don. Jeff went down to join the boys while Kiera stayed with us upstairs. 

 "Maybe. But we deserve and need to know what's going on." I stated, my arms crossed.

 "Princess...They might come tell you when they finish..." Alec said quietly. He was sitting in between his sister and his mate. I am surprised he's not in bed or sleeping right now honestly.

 "Maybe. But knowing them, in their frustration and anger, they forgot to tell us anything. We're not gonna know till they calm down and come to their senses. And from their attitude, by then, it may be too late." I told him. I stood up. "Just stay here. We'll be right back." I said.

 "Go ahead, Elena." Rose smiled. I smiled back before walking away, Janie and Elisabeth following after me.

 We stopped outside the office door. We were as quiet as we could be. We huddled together, listening to every word that was being said inside the room.

 "That pack is only a few hours away from us, Joseph. He could be on his way here right now." Jay growled.

 "I agree with Jay. We need to round everyone up and get them to training. Now." Kian spoke up.

 "And what if they attack while training?? No. We can't risk anything." Joseph objected firmly.

 "Joseph, they could attack at any time. While we're training, while we're eating, while we're taking care of that traitor, heck! They could attack while we're in this office right now arguing!" Kian declared.

 "He's right, Joseph."

 "I know he's right, Jay. I am not stupid. But if we went out there training, and they attacked, we'd be out in the open! More of a chance for people to be killed!" Joseph growled angrily.

 "Joseph, stop being a stubborn idiot and please just listen for once in your life!" Kian shouted.

Joseph sounded mad. I looked at the girls. They looked worried and concerned. Just how I was feeling....

 "Do I have to remind you that I am your Alpha, Beta Kian?" Joseph put an emphasis on Alpha and Beta. "I will not tolerate any disrespect from you."

 "You might be my alpha, Joseph. But you are also my friend. I think of you like a brother. And I will not stand idly by and let you make a stupid decision!" Kian snapped. Oh sweet cheese and crackers, my brother's mad.... 

 "Kian...." Joseph said in a warning tone.

 "No, Joseph!" Kian growled at him. "If we're going to be ready for an attack, we need to actually get ready! We need to prepare and train!"

 "What we need to do, idiot, is get everyone to safety."

 "There's nowhere for them to go! Don was a trusted warrior. We trusted him with just about everything. He reported everything to Alpha Richard. Nowhere is safe, Joseph." 

 "He's right, Joseph." Jay said quietly. "Don...betrayed us all...He took all of that knowledge and gave it to our enemy. You heard him. That was a lot of info...."

 "Alpha," Jeff spoke up, sounding like he was trying not to show how nervous he was. "Beta Kian and Gamma Jay are right....I know you're worried about your mate and pack members. We all are. But if I may give my opinion, I think we may have a better chance of winning this war if we all fight. They have more warriors than we do..."

 "Wars aren't won by numbers." Joseph said firmly.

 "I agree, Alpha Joseph," the Australian warrior said. "But we both know that they help. We have strong warriors. But their warriors are strong too. We need help. We don't have time to ask for help from other packs. It's best to get all those who know how to fight to join the battle."

 Joseph was silent. He seemed to be thinking about Jeff's words. "Joseph....I know you don't want to endanger the pack....But this is the best way, and possibly the only way, to really keep them safe. If they defend themselves and fight with us and the warriors." Jay told him.

 There was a minute or two of complete silence before Joseph spoke. "Alright....I'll...Send a message out to the pack members...All those who can fight and wish to join the battle are ordered to go to the training field and prepare. Male and female. Those who wish to remain or cannot fight will remain and watch the children. They are ordered to protect the children and each other to the best of their abilities. Further orders will be given out shortly." Joseph sounded tense and nervous. 

 "Hey," Jay spoke up. "It's ok...My mate is gonna be there. She'll protect Janie. Nothing will happen to her. We'll all make sure of that."

 "Yea! And Janie is strong. She's a really good fighter." Kian spoke up.

 I looked over at Janie, who was frowning softly, looking down. Her hand rested on her stomach. I knew the boys thought she was gonna want to join the fight. I also knew that she was debating on whether she should stay and protect those who were remaining or go with her mate.

 "We best get back to the living room before they find out we were eaves-" Janie began, but was interrupted by the door opening. The boys stared at us and we stared at them. 

 "Oh boy...." the three of us whispered in unison. Jay, Kian, Joseph, and Jeff looked at us with firm gazes.

 "Care to explain why you're listening to our private conversation?" Kian asked, his arms crossed.

 Elisa shook her head and broke the silence. "We were waiting for you all morning when you were questioning Don. You told us you would tell us what happened when you were done with him. Instead of coming to us and explaining everything, you stormed off to the office and argued with each other! You completely forgot we existed. We were concerned and worried, so we followed you and listened in."

 Kian sighed. "I'm sorry...I guess I could've at least told you something..." 

 "It's alright, Kian..." Elisa gave a small smile.

 "I guess we don't need to tell you the plan?" Jay asked. I shook my head. 

 Joseph sighed. "Well then, what do you think, Janie..?"

 Janie smiled and walked closer to him, putting her arms around his neck. "It's a good plan. I'm glad you finally decided to listen to your Beta and Gamma, Joseph." she chuckled a little. He chuckled, holding her close before giving her a loving kiss. 

 "Elisabeth, I want you to stay behind...You just had a baby and I'm worried about you..." Kian began, taking her in his arms.

 Elisabeth was silent a moment before looking up at him. "I'll stay behind, Kian. But I will be helping protect the children and other pack members." She and Kian smiled at one another.

 "I know what you'll be doing, beauty. Even if myself and Bolt prefer you to stay with Elisa, we're ok with it...You're a good fighter. You're strong and powerful. My wolf and I know you can handle it." Jay smiled at me.

 I smiled back at him. "I love you, Jay...Thank you..."

 "I love you too, Elena, my beauty..."