Chapter 7

Elisabeth and Evelyn came home a few days ago. Boy, can that little baby cry! It's hard to sleep with Evelyn crying so loud. Kian and Elisabeth do make great parents. I always knew they would. 

 Today I was alone with Janie and Elisabeth. Joseph, Jay, and Kian were in Joseph's office, on video call with Alpha Richard. They were going to try to convince him to let my mom and dad go. I was honestly worried. Misty has been really on edge and whining all day. She's been like this since yesterday. I wanted to ask what was bothering her, but she blocked the connection. I just tried to put my mind at ease by helping Elisa take care of the baby, and talking with the girls. 

 They boys were in the office for a couple hours. I honestly wondered what was taking them so long. They promised they wouldn't reveal where I was and they'd use Kian being their son as their excuse for calling and demanding their release. Kinda smart honestly. Well, anyway, since they were in there so long, Elisabeth, Janie, and I decided to make them lunch. We decided to go simple and make some ham and cheese sandwiches. 

 Just as we finished, I saw Elisabeth's face pale. A look of worry spread across her face. "Elisa? Is something wrong?" Janie asked. 

 "There's something wrong with Kian...I can feel he's really upset and angry...." Janie instantly looked pale. 

 "Joseph...There's something wrong...He's really angry..." My eyes went wide. If Joseph and Kian were angry and Kian was upset, Jay must be angry too. I looked at Misty. She only nodded, a sad look on her face. Two people instantly came to my mind. Mom and daddy. 

 I ran to the office and threw open the door. I could see Joseph hugging Kian tightly. Jay looked like he was trying not to let his wolf take over. It looked like he would attack at any moment. I went up to him and hugged him tight. 

 "Kian! What's wrong, love??" Elisabeth asked, her and Janie entering the room. Kian didn't answer. He only hugged her tightly, crying on her shoulder. 

 "What happened, Joseph?" Janie asked. 

 "We failed...." he answered. I could hear sadness and anger in his voice. 

 "What do you mean?" I asked. 

 "I'm so sorry, Elena...They killed your father yesterday....And today, your mom..." My eyes went wide. 

 "W-w-what...? N-no! Mom...Daddy....No!" I finally cried out after the news had sunk in. Jay hugged me in a very tight hug. I didn't say anything. I just cried. Why...? Just because I'm a white tiger? Because they wouldn't tell that pathetic excuse of an Alpha where I was? I was an orphan...Kian was an orphan...All I have left...No...This can't be happening....

 "I'm sorry, Elena...." Misty spoke in a quiet, sad voice. I could see tears in her eyes. 

 "This is why you were so on edge and whining...You sensed something had happened to mom and daddy..." I said in realization. 

 She nodded. "I didn't know what...I was hoping they had just beat them into a coma or something...I was hoping there was still time...And now it's too late....If I would have said something-" 

 "No, Misty! This isn't your fault. Even if you had, we probably wouldn't have been able to save them..." I told her. 

 She gave me a sad smile. "Thanks, Elena..."

 "Of course...What's important now is that we're here for each other..." 

 I looked over at Kian and our eyes met. I let go of Jay's embrace and Kian let go of Elisa's. We walked up to each other and hugged tightly. We cried on each other's shoulder. 

"I'm sorry we couldn't get to them in time, Elena, Kian...I promise we will do something about Alpha Richard. He is too power hungry and wicked to be a good Alpha." Joseph declared. 

 "Thank you, Joseph..." I spoke quietly, looking at him. 

 "And I won't rest until he has paid the price for hurting you and your brother. That is a promise I will keep." Jay said in a firm, serious tone. I looked up at him. He was dead serious. I didn't like where he was going with that, but I didn't say anything. 

 That night, I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling, remembering memories I had with my mom and dad. When daddy taught me how to sneak up on someone. That was fun...I snuck up on Kian and I sure surprised him good!...

 I remembered when mom taught me to bake and cook. That was fun...Despite almost burning down the kitchen, the meal actually didn't taste that bad. That was because we re-cooked everything after putting out the fire...I was surprised when mom let me try again. I have gotten a lot better over time though. 

 I remembered my first day of school...Daddy dropping me off and then picking me up and taking me for ice cream...

 I remembered when I had bully problems...They comforted me and hugged me before calling my teacher. That put a stop to my problems. And actually, two of those bullies, you may not believe this, but they are my friends, Vicky and Kallie. We met Lilly a year after we became friends. I believe this was seventh grade. 

 I remembered when I had bad nightmares...Mom and daddy sat up with me, making sure I was alright...

 I remembered Christmas, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, and Father's Day. And Easter. I remembered birthdays with them...

 And, I remembered....my sixteenth birthday....I had no idea at the time it was my last birthday with them....I had no idea my last, 'I love you,' was my last....

 I rolled over in my bed and cried into my pillow. A couple minutes later, I heard the door open and footsteps approach. I didn't look up to see who it was. The person scooped me up and hugged me tight. I could feel sparks fly at the touch and I at once knew it was Jay. I relaxed in his warm, comforting embrace and just cried. He never said a word. He just held me, gently rubbing my back or hair. I felt really grateful for him right now....I really needed him...And he knew that.