Chapter 52

Jay and I looked at each other before walking slowly forward. We stopped in the doorway of the living room. We remained quiet as we watched Joseph and Janie. Janie had tears streaming down her cheeks and Joseph was trying to calm down. I don't think he meant to hurt her or yell at her. But I could see he was really frustrated.

 "Why didn't you tell me, Janie?! I am your mate!" Joseph exclaimed.

 "I know that, Joseph! And I'm sorry! I was just...afraid..." Janie cried.

 "Of what?!"

 "Of how you would react, Joseph! I know we've both wanted children since we met. But it came at such a bad time! You were so stressed and you were working so much, trying to think of a plan! I didn't want to stress you out or worry you any more than you already were. I'm sorry, Joseph, I really am...I just...I didn't know how to tell you...I didn't know what to do...I wanted to tell you. I really did. I tried to a couple times, but it just...never came up...."

 Janie reached to take her mate's hand but he pulled away. "I'm going for a run. I need some time to think."

 With that, Joseph walked away. He walked right passed us without even seeming to realize we were there. Janie just sank to the floor crying. Jay and I quickly hurried over to her. I took her in my arms and tried my best to comfort her. I looked at Jay with a frown. His face was solemn. 

 He nodded slowly. "Take care of her. I'll go deal with her idiot mate." he mind-linked me.

 I rolled my eyes. "He might be acting stupid right now, but don't disrespect him. He is your Alpha, friend, and her mate."

 "Well, I'll willingly call that to his face if he doesn't wake up and smell the cocoa."

 I smiled a little before watching him get up and place a gentle hand on Janie's shoulder. "I'll bring him back. It's going to be ok. I promise."

 Janie looked up at him and forced a small smile. "Thank you, Jay..." Jay nodded, giving her a small smile before leaving. Janie looked down and scoffed. "I'm so stupid!"

 "No, you aren't Janie...Don't say that...You had good reasons for hiding your pregnancy. Maybe you should've told him sooner, but still. You knew how he was going to react. He wouldn't have been focused. He would've had all his attention on you."

 "Maybe you're right, Elena.." Janie said quietly. She wiped her eyes and looked up at me. "I didn't mean to make him mad...I-I just..." I frowned as I let her cry on my shoulder once more. I really hoped Jay could talk some sense into Joseph....

 An hour or two had passed. Janie sat on a stool in the kitchen with a mug of hot chocolate I made her. I took a sip from my own as we talked. She seemed a little better than she was but she was still upset. That was obvious. We were avoiding the topic of babies and mates. I didn't want her to think about it anymore than she already is. I heard stress wasn't good for a pregnant woman. And Janie's gone through a heck of a lot of stress. She doesn't need any more added to her plate. All I can say is, the second Joseph walks in here, he better come over to Janie and apologize. 

 It wasn't long before Joseph and Jay came walking in. I will say, Joseph looked a lot calmer than he did. He also looked guilty. He slowly walked over to Janie and hugged her from behind, burying his face in the crook of her neck. "I'm sorry, Janie...I shouldn't have reacted that way. I am glad you told me now...I probably would've been distracted."

 Janie smiled and placed her hand on his. "It's alright, Joseph...Really..." She turned around to face her mate and kissed him. 

 I smiled. "We'll leave you two alone for a while." I replied, going over to Jay and taking his hand. He gave a small smile as we left the room. "What did you say to him?"

 "Eh. I just told him he was being a stupid idiot and over-reacting." he remarked nonchalantly.

 I stared at him. "Really?" I rolled my eyes.

 "Well it's not my fault he doesn't listen very well when he's frustrated!" my mate said defensively. "It seemed to work anyway. After he shut up anyway...I told him she was most likely right in keeping her pregnancy secret. Knowing him, it would've distracted him. It might distract any one actually...Especially if it's their first."

 I nodded in reply. "Makes sense. So...He's not mad at you or anything?"

 "Oh, trust me. He was. Nobody, especially Joseph, likes to be called a stupid idiot. But he's pretty calm now. Just focused on making it up to Janie."

 "That's good. Just please, do yourself a favor and try not to call him an idiot too often." I chuckled.

 "I rarely call him an idiot, beauty. Only when I have to. It gets his attention." Jay and I laughed. "I guess we'll talk to Joseph a little later about Charlie since he's busy with Janie."

 "It's ok. They need some time to themselves." I replied. Jay nodded, a solemn look on his face. I looked at him curiously. "Penny for your thoughts?"

 Jay chuckled a little. "I guess I was just...Thinking...Remembering my life after my family was killed..."

 I frowned and hugged him close. "I'm sorry, Jay..."

 "It's alright...To be honest, I feel better knowing I have you and our friends." Jay gave me a small smile. "I love you, beauty...Thank you for always being there for me."

 "Of course! I love you too, Jay.."