Chapter 24

Finally, after what felt like forever, Doctor Smith and Nurse Andrea came walking towards us. I assumed the two were mates, by the way he held her hand and how he would occasionally look at her lovingly.

 "How is he?!" Rose asked, instantly standing up.

 "He is alright. He was very lucky." Nurse Andrea smiled at the fairy girl. We all breathed a sigh of relief.

 "However," Dr. Smith began, making us tense up. "Those slashes across his stomach and the wound to his head were deliberate and serious. Now, I don't know what happened, but, I do suspect something fishy, if you'll excuse my pun, is going on." Nurse Andrea gave a small chuckle and Dr. Smith smiled at her warmly. "He'll be staying in the hospital under observation for the next few days."

 I glanced over at Caspian who furrowed his brows in anger. But, the angry look was gone just as quickly as it came. "Thank you, doctor. Are we allowed to see him?"

 Dr. Smith looked over at Joseph, who smiled. "This is Kallan's brother and their friend." 

 The doctor nodded in reply. "Yes, you may all go visit him. But be gentle with the boy. He's been through a lot and needs his rest."

 With that, Doctor Smith and Nurse Andrea led us to our merprince's room. Nurse Andrea turned to us and gave a small smile. "He was actually asking about you. Especially a girl named Rose. He seemed to really care about her." 

 Rosalie blushed at her words and gave a small smile. I've never seen Rose so...quiet or shy. Today has sure taken a toll on Rose. That much is obvious.

 We finally got to the room. We let Rose and her friends go in first. Though Caspian refused at first, Joseph insisted. While we waited, we looked at Caspian and Coral. Joseph, Kian, and Jay were looking at Caspian with a firm, serious look.

 "I want to know everything you know about Kallan's life at home. He did not get hurt in his time here." Joseph said firmly. Caspian had a look of fear flash through his eyes, but, it was gone as quickly as it came.

 "Excuse me, Alpha Joseph, but what business is it of yours?" the merman retorted. I mentally face-palmed. I glanced over at Jay, who was tense with anger. 

 Before I knew it, Jay was holding Caspian by the shirt of his collar. This time, the look of fear in Caspian's eyes, did not disappear. "Kallan has become apart of our family. And I protect my family. You don't want to know what I do to those who harm them." Jay said in a threatening tone. 

 "Jay..." I said in a low tone, my eyes wide.

 But Jay didn't respond or turn around. "You will tell us everything you know. And you'll do it now. Someone hurt him and I want to know who. And when I find out who, I will make sure they feel a world of pain."

 "Jay!" I scolded in a low tone. Jay looked at me before looking back at the merprince and releasing him.

 Caspian sighed. He looked at Coral, who gave him a small smile and held his hand. He smiled at her before looking firmly at all of us. "I understand your anger. I admire your protectiveness, my prince, and I am glad you think of my brother in such a way." 

 "It's Gamma, please." Jay told him.

 "Alright, Gamma." Caspian nodded.

 "We really don't mean any harm, Alpha. Please believe me when I say, Caspian and I haven't done anything to Kallan." Coral said. 

 "I love my brother. We look out for one another. We protect one another. I would never do him any sort of harm. And Coral grew up with us. She is a good friend to us. She would never hurt him either." Caspian spoke in a firm tone.

 "Then who did hurt him?" Kian asked, narrowing his eyes. "I somehow get the feeling you may know something."

 Before Caspian could say anything, the door to Kallan's room opened. Ash stood there, looking at us. "You can come in. Kallan wants to see you all." he gave a small smile. We smiled and nodded, entering the room. We looked at Kallan, who, though he looked weak and tired, smiled at us. His eyes went wide in shock, however, when he saw Caspian and Coral.

 "You scared us." Kian stated, giving a small smirk. 

 "I know...I'm sorry..." Kallan spoke quietly.

 "We're glad you're alright." Janie smiled.

 "Thanks..." Kallan smiled up at her.

 "Kallan, what happened?" Jay asked in a firm, but gentle tone. Kallan looked away from us. "Kallan, we know this may be hard for you, but we need to know."

 "We've grown to really care about you, Kallan." I said, smiling at him. "We only want to help you and make sure you're alright."

 "It's time they know, Kallan." Ash spoke. "Even Elanor and Rose don't know."

 Rose looked down at Kallan, taking his hand in hers. He looked at her and smiled. She gave him a small smile. "Just take your time, my love...We don't want to pressure you."

 "Thank you..." Kallan spoke in a sincere voice. He looked over at us all. I could see the nervousness and hesitation in his eyes. I could also see the pain and sadness. "Us merfolk aren't as strict as fairies and elves...But, when it comes to the royal family, there are a lot of rules we must follow. As crown prince, I am supposed to marry a mermaid my parents pick, take over the throne, and then, have an heir. All in that order."

 I could see the anger and heartbreak in Rose's eyes. I looked over at Caspian and Coral and frowned, a little confused. They seemed angry and heartbroken as well. 

 "How did you get hurt? Who attacked you?" Kian asked.

 "Would you believe me if I said a colossal squid did this....?" Kallan gave an innocent smile. Ash face palmed and groaned.

 "No." Kian stated matter-of-factly. Kallan's face fell. "You would've been dead right now if that had been the case. A colossal squid, I read, has sharp hooks on it's tentacles."

Kallan looked a little guilty. "Yea..." he said quietly.

 "Our parents are very hard on him, as the first born and future king of Navaria." Caspian spoke. We turned to look at him. We saw a cold, angry look in his eyes. But it wasn't directed towards any of us. I think...I think it was directed towards...his parents....