Chapter 41

It was the next morning. I woke up, hearing some strange noises coming from the next room. I got up and left Jay's room to see Lily rushing out her bedroom door, a wide smile on her face. 

 "Lily? Where are you going so early? You haven't even had breakfast yet, have you?" I asked.

 Lily stopped and turned around to look at me. "I texted Benny last night. We're going to meet for breakfast this morning."

 "Benny?" I asked, a small smirk on my face. Lily blushed shyly. I laughed. "I think it's cute. Now go get your man. Say hi for me, will you?"

 Lily nodded quickly before running off. I chuckled before walking back inside Jay's room. Jay was still fast asleep. I walked over to the bed, smiling fondly at him. I kissed his cheek before taking the bag of clothes I'd packed yesterday and going to the bathroom.

When I finished showering, I put on the pair of leggings and medium sage green short sleeved shirt. I brushed my hair and put it up in a ponytail before leaving the bathroom. Jay was still sleeping when I left the bathroom. I kissed his cheek, smiling before leaving his room.

 I went to the kitchen and saw Janie in there scrambling some eggs. "Good morning, Janie!"

 "Oh! Elena, good morning. How did you sleep?" she smiled at me.

 "Good. How about you?"

 "We slept well, thank you." she replied.

 "Do you want some help?" I offered.

 "Oh, yes. Thank you, Elena." Janie nodded. I nodded in response and started getting out some stuff to make waffles. "Are your friends still asleep?" Janie asked me.

 "Well, I assume Vicky, Robert, and Kallie are. Lily left this morning to have breakfast with her mate." I told her.

 Janie nodded, smiling. Yesterday, when we got back to the pack house, we told Janie, Elisabeth, Kian, and Joseph about Lily finding her mate. 

 "Ben is a nice young man. He can be a little awkward sometimes, but he's nice." Janie replied.

 "I agree. I think he and Lily will be good together. Maybe they'll give each other the confidence they need." I said, mixing the batter for the waffles. "So....Janie...Does Joseph have any plans or strategies for battle?" Janie stopped what she was doing. I frowned and looked at her. Her hand rested on her stomach. "Janie...?"

 "No...He doesn't..." she spoke in a quiet voice.

 "Janie, are you ok..?" I asked quietly.

 "I'm alright, Elena...Don't worry," she gave a small smile, but I could see right through it. I frowned, shaking my head. Janie sighed. "I guess I'm a little scared is all...I honestly forgot about Alpha Richard's threat..." 

 "You did..?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. That's a little strange because she, Joseph, Kian, and Jay have all been talking about it nonstop. Their meetings all revolve around this topic.

 "Yes...I guess in all the excitement, it got pushed to the back of my mind.."

 "What excitement? Meeting my friends?" I asked gently. 

 Janie sighed and looked at me. "No. Although meeting your friends was exciting." she told me. "I will tell you. But, you can't tell anyone. Especially Joseph. Joseph will freak out. I know it." She looked anxious and worried.

 I nodded slowly. "I won't tell anyone. Don't worry, Janie."

 Janie took a deep breath and leaned against the counter, resting her hand on her stomach. "Yesterday, after you introduced us to your friends, I went to the doctor and...I'm pregnant..."

 My eyes went wide in surprise. I smiled brightly. "That's great, Janie! Congrats!"

 "Thank you, Elena.." she gave me a small smile.

 I frowned, confused. "Wait, why aren't you excited? This is a good thing. Isn't it?"

 "It is, Elena. It's a wonderful thing. But it happened at the worst possible time! I know the war is happening soon. And I'm not scared about dying. But I am scared for my mate's life....My pack's lives....And now, my baby's life....I don't know what to do. I know if we were to move, Alpha Richard would find us. My child is at risk...And I don't know what to do to save it..."

 Her explanation made sense. I stood there, my eyes wide. I looked down, guilt coursing through my mind. I did this to them. Didn't I? I came here. I brought this upon them. Upon my new friends. Janie's baby. My brother. My sister-in-law. My niece. Even my mate! They could all be killed because of me....What have I done...?

 "It's not your fault, Elena! Our parents told you to come here." Misty told me.

 I shook my head. "I should've known he'd find me, Misty...I should've known I would put this pack at risk! Janie's baby could die. And it's my fault...."

 "It's not your fault, Elena!" Misty exclaimed.

 I shook my head and looked up at Janie. "I'm sorry, Janie...I understand...But we will all protect you. Your baby will not suffer any harm." I was trying to reassure her. But inside, I was feeling a lot of doubt, worry, fear, and guilt. I didn't know what to do.

 "Thank you, Elena..." Janie smiled at me. "Now let's finish cooking before everyone wakes up and there's no food!" We laughed and went back to cooking.

 As I cooked the waffles, a thought crossed my mind. I hated it. Misty was whining and howling, begging me not to do it. But it's the only thing I can think of to do....

 Leaving would get them all out of harms way. It hurts to think about being away from my mate...I love him. So much. But what else can I do? I don't want anyone to be hurt or killed. Especially Jay, Kian, Elisa, and Little Evelyn Jade.