Chapter 58

"N-no! Of course not, Ash!" Elanor exclaimed. "I'm just worried about you...What do you expect me to think when you never forget to drink? I'm sorry, Ash..."

 "It's ok...I get it..." he mumbled. He looked away from her. He was trying to keep his feelings and tears at bay. He was hiding what he was really feeling. I could make a guess as to why he was hiding his feelings. He didn't want to worry anyone. Maybe he didn't want to seem weak. He is a pretty strong fire fairy. He's stubborn with a temper to match his abilities.

 I noticed Rose and Kallan were whispered amongst themselves. They looked worried and concerned. Frustrated even.

"Jay, Elena, can we talk to you a minute...?" Kallan asked, looking at us. I looked at Jay who nodded in agreement. Kallan looked at Ash. "We'll be right back. We won't be long."

 "Ok.." Ash nodded slowly. 

 Rose, Kallan, Jay, and I left the room. I closed the door before facing them once more. "What's on your mind?"

 "Something's wrong with Ash. It's as simple as that. He never forgets to drink enough fluids. Heck! He sleeps with a full water bottle on his nightstand!" Rose said, her arms crossed.

 "What are you suggesting? That he did do this on purpose?" Jay asked. "From the looks of it, it could've killed him. You're suggesting he attempted suicide??"

 "No! Well, I don't know. Maybe he didn't think it'd go this far. I doubt he tried to kill himself on purpose. That just isn't Ash. Plus, he loves Elanor too much for that. And he knows she loves him." Rose said defensively.

 "It does look like he did it on purpose. And...I'm afraid to ask Ash about it. Especially in his current condition. But I am inclined to think that..." Kallan sighed heavily. "He did this on purpose. That's the only explanation we can think of. Rose, Elanor, and I always remind him to make sure he's getting enough water and fluids. Until today, I thought our reminders were unnecessary. He always remembered to drink. Even without our reminders. This isn't like him."

 "It's not like Ash to skip drinking when he's upset though, Kallan..." Rose said quietly. "He usually just yells and blows off his steam that way. Elanor is really patient with him...She doesn't mind when he yells at her...She just sits and listens..."

 Kallan was quiet a minute. I looked at Jay, frowning. He frowned and looked at me. We were thinking the same thing, I could tell. "You're right....Whatever is bugging him is bad. It's more than just frustration and anger...But what??"

 "I say we talk to him and make him tell us what's wrong." Jay said, his arms crossed. He was dead serious. "It shouldn't be too hard if he always reverts to yelling and voicing his anger and frustrations."

 "I know it may sound like that, Gamma Jay. But Ash is very stubborn. He's never experienced this before. As far as we know, he's never felt this depressed. He won't tell us so easily." Kallan pointed out.

 Jay was about to say something, but I stopped him. I placed my hand on his shoulder and looked up at him. He looked at me. "Jay, he's right...We can't force him to tell us...We need to be gentle with him."

 Jay sighed heavily. "You're right, beauty...You're right..." he shook his head and crossed his arms once more. 

 "Don't worry, Jay...He'll tell us what's bothering him in his own time...We'll keep an eye on him and let him know we're here for him." I said softly.

 "What I don't understand, is why does he insist on suffering alone in silence when he knows very well he has many friends and a girlfriend who care about him a lot?! Who worry about him?! Is he trying to make me mad?!" Jay growled in frustration. "I need to get some air." With that, my mate walked away. 

 I sighed heavily as I watched his retreating figure. I couldn't blame him. This was frustrating. Kallan...he was hesitant at first to tell us what was wrong when he was in the hospital. But Ash is different. Ash isn't a relaxed, care-free merman. He's a stubborn, energetic fire fairy with a temper to match his powers. Kallan wanted to tell someone. He needed to tell someone. And he knew he had to as well...he knew he couldn't keep it inside anymore. Ash? He needs to tell someone. He might want to. But he won't. Ash is as stubborn as a mule. He won't let people in easily. That much is obvious.

 "You should go back in. I want to check on Jay. Just tell Charlie we'll be in in a few minutes, ok?" Rose and Kallan nodded and went back in the room. I sighed and followed after my mate. I guess we're both having breakdowns today. 

 I finally found him outside, a little ways from the building. He was leaning against a tree, breathing heavily. I could feel in our bond he was frustrated, worried, angry, scared, need I go on? I slowly walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him. He was surprised at first, but he slowly calmed down and relaxed in my embrace.

 "What are you doing here..?" he whispered.

 "You comforted me. Now it's my turn to comfort you." I replied. "I guess today is stressful for both of us..." 

 Jay let go of the embrace and sank down in the grass. I sat down next to him, my hand on his shoulder. He ran his hand through his hair. "This feels different than it did with Kallan....At that time someone hurt him. It was obvious someone had hurt him. But...with Ash...it's obvious this was self-inflicted. He's hurting...But I can't do anything to help him..." his voice cracked as he shook his head. "I just want my family safe and sound...happy...I protect them to the best of my ability, yet I can't help those who....struggle with emotional pain..."

 "Oh, Jay..." I took him in my arms and let him cry on my shoulder. I should've realized this would affect him. I knew he was frustrated and angry. I knew he was worried and scared. But I didn't realize how upset he was. "I'm sorry, Jay....I should have realized how upset you were..."

 "It's fine, Elena...I've learned to hide my emotions pretty well." he mumbled.

 "But I could feel your emotions from our bond! I should have realized how upset you were from not just that, but in general. I know your past. I know how you are with stuff like this. Your family. I'm sorry I didn't realize sooner...I should have...But I'm here now. And I'm not letting you go...I promise you, Jay, we will figure out what's wrong with Ash. We will help him and make sure it doesn't happen again. And I promise I will pay more attention to your feelings...You pay attention to mine...You always make sure to comfort me when I need it. And I need to do the same for you. I love you, Jay...I always will."

 Jay smiled at me, wiping his tears away. "I love you too, Elena..."