Chapter 55

It was the end of May. I was playing soccer with Charlie while Jay was training. I'm not good at soccer at all. But it's still fun to play with Charlie. He likes to go easy on me, seeing as I really stink at at. But, I usually tell him not to go easy. But, despite my protests, he does. How do I know? I can see the difference in the way he plays. He's faster and stronger with Jay. More determined. With me, he's a little slower and less determined. He might take it easy on me, but he never lets me win, which I am happy about. 

 Charlie kicked the ball towards me. It was weaker than normal, but I didn't think anything of it at the moment. I easily blocked it and kicked it back out into the field. I then glanced at Charlie. I frowned. He was standing there, frozen, his eyes wide. 

 "Charlie? What's wrong?"

 "Th-there's something behind you..." he spoke quietly.

 I frowned. He seemed nervous. I slowly turned around, only to come face to face with two fairies and two elves. I held out my arm cautiously, motioning Charlie to come forward. He did and I kept him protectively in my embrace. It's not that I was afraid of them. But we never had any fairies and elves around here except for Elanor, Ash, and Rosalie. 

 "Crown Princess Elena." they bowed in respect to me. I stood there, speechless, my arm still around Charlie.

 "Who are you? What are you doing here? I thought the elves and fairies cut off all ties with me." I spoke up slowly.

 "I am Crown Elf Princess Ivy. This is my boyfriend, and crown prince, Torion." the elf girl spoke. She wore an almost regal-looking dress and a wreath of flowers and leaves rested on her head. 

 "I am Crown Fairy Princess Lyra. This is my fiance, Draco. He is a very powerful fire fairy." the fairy girl said.

 "E-Elena...What's going on...?" Charlie asked quietly, his voice shaking.

 "I'm not sure, Charlie...But trust me when I say, that it's all gonna be ok. I won't let anything happen to you. Neither me nor Misty will allow that." I told him in a gentle voice before turning the the newcomers. "You're the future rulers of the Mystic Woods..?" 

 "Yes, Princess Elena, we are." Draco answered.

 "What are you doing here...? The fairies, elves, and even the merfolk have abandoned me because I refuse to reject my mate and take another."

 "My parents, the fairy queen, and the elf king had a meeting recently." a voice spoke from behind me. I jumped and turned around to see Caspian. Coral stood next to him, her arm linked with his.

 "Despite what Queen Leanna said, she did not fully abandon you. She sent secret spies to watch you. Day after day. She thought you weren't worthy of being a ruler. She thought you weren't capable of being a ruler. But you proved her wrong."

 "What do you mean, 'I proved her wrong'?"

 "The spies reported every day to her majesty. They reported your actions and conversations." I stared at Ivy like she'd grown a pair of wings. I was being stalked?! 

 "How did we not realize we were being spied on??" I asked, still keeping Charlie close to me.

 "Our spies are very good at not being seen. They've been spying on you, your mate, and your friends since the queen left you. And, since you adopted the boy, he's been spied on too." Torion told me. 

 I couldn't help but growl at his words. Charlie was being spied on?? My friends?? My mate?? I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Caspian. "They meant no harm. They were just doing as the fairy queen ordered. She wanted to see if her assumptions were correct about you."