Chapter 56

"Jay!" I called through the mind-link. No answer. "Jay, open your mind-link for Pete's sake! This is an emergency!" I growled in frustration.

 "What's wrong, Elena?" Charlie asked, looking up at me.

 "Jay must still be in training. He isn't responding to my mind-link." Elanor looked up at me, a worried look in her eyes. I took a deep, calming breath before placing my hand on her shoulder. "I'll keep trying. It's gonna be ok. I promise." She nodded slowly, giving a small smile. I sighed. "Ash, you better help me keep that promise." I muttered under my breath.

 "Jay! Jay, quit training and answer me! Before the fairy dies!" I yelled into the mind-link once more. I was beginning to worry and panic but I was trying not to show it. Ash did not look good at all. He was breathing heavily.

 "Elena? What's going on?" Jay's voice finally rang through my mind.

 "Finally! It's about time! We need you over at Kallan and Rose's house now!" I exclaimed. 

 Jay didn't stop to ask questions. He could hear the urgency in my voice. "I'm on my way." he said firmly. "What's happened, Elena?"

 "Ash is dehydrated. Apparently fire fairies get dehydrated easily. That's why they need lots of fluids. It's pretty bad when a fire fairy is dehydrated. Not like when we get dehydrated." I told him.

 "What do you mean? Is he alright?"

 "We're not sure. They've been trying to get him to drink, but it hurts too much and he's too weak. He's also having trouble breathing. His body temperature is rising. Dangerously. We're taking him to the hospital now." 

 I could hear Jay growl at my words. "I'll be there as fast as I can. Try not to worry, alright?" With that, the link was closed.  

 I sighed heavily and turned to the others. Kallan and Caspian were helping to hold him up, keeping him on his feet. Rose and Coral were holding Elanor comfortingly. "Jay is on his way." I said. They breathed a sigh of relief.

 "Elena, how are we going to get him to the hospital? We don't have a car." Kallan spoke up. 

I thought for a moment before my gaze landed on Rose. I smiled. "Rose, you're a fast flier, right?"

 "Yes, I am. I'm not as fast as Ash though." she responded. 

 "Good. Do you think you can fly him there? You're the best chance we have right now." 

 She smiled determinedly. "Do merfolk have tails?" With that, Rose transformed to her fairy form and picked up Ash. 

 Ash groaned. "Put...M-me down...Rose..."

 "I will. As soon as my strength gives out or we're at the hospital. Or both." Rose replied sweetly. Ash glared at her.

 "Ash, please just try to relax...You need help." Elanor pleaded.

 "I hate....H-hospitals a-and....being carried....l-l-like I'm....A baby!" he protested. I rolled my eyes.

 "Just please try to relax. We're trying to help you. You'll only make things worse for yourself!" Elanor took his hand in hers. 

 Ash's eyes were wide as he looked into her pleading eyes. "Alright....f-firefly...I'll try...F-for you..."

 Elanor smiled and kissed his cheek. Ash seemed to calm down a little. He gave her a small smile. I smiled at the scene, my arm around Charlie. Caspian opened the door and with that, Rose flew off, Ash in her arms.