Chapter 28

Days have passed. Kallan was finally released from the hospital. Rose takes good care of him. He's been healing well, the doctor says. He seems happy. Though, I think he sometimes misses his underwater home. I know what that feels like...To miss your home...

 Kiera's been doing well. Though Jeff has a lot of responsibilities as warrior,  he finds plenty of time for her. She seems really happy. And Jeff, I've never seen him smile or talk so much. It's not that he's shy or quiet, but I wouldn't say he talks a lot either. Kiera's been staying at his house, and, because she doesn't want to be alone, we see her as often as Jeff goes out, which he often does, as warrior for the pack.

 I was walking towards the pack house with a basket of food. I was going to see if Jay would want to have lunch with me. Jay, Kian, and Joseph are all working hard, trying to figure out who the spy is. When I reached the park, I saw Kiera sitting underneath a tree. She looked...lonely. I frowned a little. She's usually always with Jeff. And she seems happy when she's with him. Why wasn't she with him now?

 I slowly walked up to her, smiling. "Hello." 

 Kiera jumped a little, looking up at me. "Oh! Elena! I didn't hear you approach," she said, standing up. I told her she didn't have to address me as princess the first day we met.

 "It's alright, Kiera. Do you mind if I join you? I'd like to talk to you." I said gently.

 "Alright..." Kiera nodded slowly. 

 We both sat down under the tree. I gave a small smile as I gave a small sigh. "I remember when my daddy used to take me to the park to play. We always had so much fun." I gave a small chuckle.

 Kiera nodded, a small smile on her face. "My mom and dad used to play with my brother and I all the time...It was how we learned how to use our skills." She sighed heavily, her smile fading. She looked over at me with her eyes full of tears. "I never thought I could fall in love...I would always dream about it when I was with Alec..." 

 I gave a small frown, as I rested my hand on her back. "What's wrong, Kiera...?"

 It took a few moments before she finally responded. "I miss Alec...." she said, tears rolling down her cheeks. "We were always so close....We promised each other, when we were kids, after we were left on our own, that we'd always have each other. We'd never abandon each other.....Does he not remember our promise, Elena? Doesn't he care about me?"

 I took her in my arms, holding her in my embrace as she cried. I knew a little of how this felt...When Kian moved to this pack and I was with mom and daddy still. When I left my old pack...I miss my parents and friends every day...

 But, ever since Jay and I left the hospital the day we met these vampire twins, we've been able to detect a faint scent coming from the edge of the pack. It smells like Alec. I could be wrong, but I think Alec's been watching over his sister since he 'left'. I don't think he ever really left. He left the pack, yes. But not her. 

 I do wish I understood why Alec was so afraid. Ok, he's a vampire. Should I be concerned? Eh, possibly. Am I? No. My kind used to be friends with them. If my ancestors trusted them, then I trust them. Plus, Kiera and Alec saved me from a couple of rogues. But still, why does he feel like he has to hide himself from the world?

 I continued to hold Kiera, trying to comfort her. "I understand a little of what you're going through, Kiera...I didn't always live here...See, my brother and I were originally from another pack. When he moved here to become Beta and be with his mate, I really missed him..." Kiera sat up, looking at me, as she wiped her tears away. "I am sure Alec still cares about you. I don't know if he remembers his promises or not, but I am very sure he still loves you. And who knows? Maybe he'll come back someday..."

 "You think so, princess?"

 I smiled and nodded. "I do, Kiera. You're his sister. The bond you have is unbreakable. You remind me a little of Kian and I." I gave a small chuckle. "We were always really close. Before I turned sixteen and shifted, part of me actually wanted to find my mate here. So I could be with Kian. But I wasn't counting on that happening. Turns out, I guess I did find him here."

 "Do you wish sometimes, you had been a wolf? Or maybe, that your alpha was one of the many people who liked White Tigers? That way, your parents would still be alive and you could be with them.." Kiera asked in a quiet voice.

 I looked away and frowned a little. I often thought about this. My life would be so much different right now if I wasn't a White Tiger....Or if Alpha Richard liked them. Since moving here, I've met many good friends. Joseph and Janie, Kallan and Rose, Ash and Elanor, and, Kiera and Jeff....And those are just some of the new friends I've made. 

 If I was a wolf or the alpha liked my kind, then I wouldn't have met Jay....Somehow, someday, I know I would have. And I probably still would have met Kallan, Rose, Ash, and Elanor. And eventually, probably Kiera as well. She and Jeff wouldn't have met when they did either....

 I finally sighed heavily and slowly answered the vampire girl. "While there are things in the past I'd like to change, there's a lot I wouldn't....Being a White Tiger is one of them....One thing I would change is my parents' death....The alpha was never a very good leader. He was always so power hungry. It isn't a surprise to me that he hates my kind. However, I do wish he had more respect for my kind and he was a better alpha....Perhaps one day, he'll realize his mistakes. I know he deserves death for his crimes, but I don't wish for him to die. Only for the sake of-"

 At that moment, a growl came from behind me. I turned around quickly to see Jeff and Jay standing there. Jay looked confused and mad. Jeff looked relieved and concerned. Kiera smiled brightly, getting up and going over to Jeff, who hugged her tightly. I looked back at Jay, who had his arms crossed. He must've heard what I said....I had some explaining to do....