Prologue - Defective

Silently, rain pattered against my window while I was lying in my bed with a heavy breath. My whole body hurt and didn't want to move anymore. The bucket next to my bed was full of vomit. A wet cloth laid on my forehead and cooled down my fever.

It should have never come down to this. I was a Beta, and it shouldn't be possible for me to get sick. But I was sick – almost deadly sick. For half a year now and it worsened with each passing day.

I was 17 years old now and should graduate in two years. So, should it be, but I wasn't even sure if I would still be alive then.

My whole life got down the bucket half a year ago. Everything went wrong and I couldn't control anything, could do nothing to stop it. And I hated my fate for it.

Softly someone opened my door and came to my bed. »Hey, Ky. Do you still think you can make it to school today?«

Ellinor, my one-year-older sister, stroked with concern through my sweaty blond hair. Everyone in my family had this light hair color.

Sluggishly I sat up and stared blankly at her.

Half a year ago I was a lively person, but I got quieter with my unknown sickness. »Today is the last time...«

She helped me out of bed and helped me to wash my hair, because I couldn't do it myself anymore.

Through the slightly open door I could see Caleb passing by. He was my one-year-younger brother. He had the same sour look as ever on his face. While doing that he didn't care to look at me. He probably didn't even know or care about my condition.

Didn't care about it for a very long time. Roughly for three years he avoided me now. At home he didn't look at me, didn't talk with me and in school it was the same.

It began when Caleb started to spend time with our future alpha. The alpha who deeply hated me and never accepted me as his Beta. He showed me that clearly.

Out of reflex my hand went to my stomach. Elli sighed. »Wouldn't it be better for you if you stay here today? You have a fever and I just know how bad you feel.«

Smiling, I looked up to her and placed my hand on her cheek. »I'm fine, Elli. Don't worry.«

With a heavy sigh she helped me up on my legs and left me so I could dress myself. She wanted to drive me to school but I wanted to walk today.

Our parents were already at work and didn't know what I was about to do. Just Elli, the Alpha couple and I knew, and it would stay like that. For now, at least.

Just when I left the house, I saw Caleb exchanging greetings with a fistbump with Cassian who leaned against his car. His eyes spotted me almost immediately. Mockingly his eyes curled up.

»Hey, fag! Looks like you got banged really hard last night!«

Cassian Walker was my future Alpha and normally he should be my best friend. It was common that Alpha and Beta relationships were good and full of trust. Most of them knew each other from childhood, just like Cassian and I.

Just our relationship was the complete opposite of good.

As far as I could remember, it wasn't always like this. My father often told me in the past how good our Alpha-Beta-Bond was. How strong and perfect our teamwork would be. In the past when we were children, we always cuddled together, when they put us together in a crib.

He stopped talking like that after Cassian's and my relationship worsened.

One time we played football. Cassian kicked the ball too high and hit my face. My nose immediately started to bleed. He burst into tears and didn't stop apologizing. Even in the emergency room, my nose was broken, he didn't let go of my hand and cried silently.