15 - Deja-vu

Yawn I stroked my face and sat up. Loosely, an arm fell down into my lap.

Confused, I looked down and then to the side where I found Cassian who laid on his belly and had one arm over my stomach before I sat up.

Softly smiling I slipped out of my bed and knelt down on the ground, right across from his face. Lightly I pushed my finger against his cheek and made him frown. In some way he was kind of cute.

»Cas, wake up,« I whispered, and he opened his eyes willingly but grumbling.

»How late is it?« he asked, mumbling, followed by a big yawn.

»I don't know but the others are still quiet. If we are fast, we can still get breakfast and can then get away without getting into an uncomfortable situation,« I answered, and he sat up right away. My idea must have sounded tempting.

»Agreed.«

Satisfied I jumped onto my feet and grabbed normal pants and a sweater out of my closet before I slipped out of my room and washed and clothed myself in the bathroom.

Cassian did the same after me and then we sneaked down the stairs. The quieter the better.

Inside the living room we found the three sleeping guys we parked onto the couch last night. Well, only Jackson had slipped from the couch and now laid on the ground. Ethan snored loudly and held Caleb his foot into the face which the other drooled on. And although they all laid on strange positions, they were still completely covered by the single blanket we left them. However, they did that.

From the fridge, in which were some blood bags, we got ourselves cheese and ham and made two breads for either of us ready. I went back to my room to put some tuna into Coffee's food bowl and after that we left the house.

That my hair wasn't combed at all and stood away in every direction disturbed me not a little bit. Except for Cassian, nobody would see me right now.

Again, yawning I stretched my sore muscles while we strolled through the forest and ate our breads with cheese and ham.

»By the way,« he broke the comfortable silence, »I like your hair that way much more.«

Surprised, I looked over to Cas and pulled up my brows. He was going to talk about that just now? Where were those words yesterday?

»Thanks, although I liked the brown color.« Smirking, I put the last bit of bread inside my mouth and then put my hands into the pockets of my jacket.

»Sure, but you are only Kyran with blond hair,« he held stubbornly against my own opinion and made me laugh loudly.

He chose his words wonderfully. But, somehow, he was right. With blond hair I was another Kyran as I was with brown hair – as strange as it sounded.

For some time, we just strolled through the woods until we came to a small lake which was somewhere in the middle of the forest. The morning sun reflected on the surface of the lake and made everything sparkle in a golden color.

It was a breath-taking spectacle which I saw in my childhood many times. Often, Cassian and I were here in the morning just to see the sun sparkle in the lake. Those times were really long ago...

»You remember too, right?« he asked mentally absent and had a small smile on his lips. A peaceful but also mournful smile.

»Mhm,« I hummed and sighed. »What went wrong back then?«

It was as if his face froze up. The peaceful expression left him completely and only a frosty cold was there. »Too many... Too many mistakes...« Cas mumbled silently, and I sighed again. Right, too many mistakes.