41 - Birthday

Gently, Cas dragged me behind him through the hallway and the living room until the glass door. Our houses were a little bit similar but not completely.

Right at the door and also connected to the wall of the house was a slightly bigger tent which had green and white strips. Inside were a few bar tables at which a few pack members stood who immediately saw us when we left the house.

After passing through the tent, we walked over grass, out onto the fresh air – it was stuffy inside the tent even though the curtain was wide open.

My parents were with the Alpha-couple who had a conversation with obvious happy expressions. Kiana and Kenneth probably were happy about the fact that they could give us the leadership over the pack.

However, just the thought about the responsibility Cas and I would carry in the not even far future, I felt sick. And maybe many of the members wouldn't even accept me as their Luna.

A gay Beta didn't matter to them – moreover they knew that you couldn't choose your mate – but a gay Luna that normally should have been their Beta? I could already imagine how many would argue against me, though I didn't want to imagine it.

I always hoped I could study medicine or be a teacher – after Canada my decision obviously fell on medicine.

My expectations for my future were never leading a pack. As a Beta was one thing, but not in the place of a Luna. A Luna was like a figurehead of a pack and I wasn't worthy of such a role.

My past wasn't really stocked with fortune. Cas and I never really got along with each other, which wasn't normal for an Alpha-Beta-relationship.

Then the marking that turned me into a traitor and with those traitor scars I should act like the Beta and Luna too.

Well, and then there was the fact that I was a defective Beta.

»You have that expression on your face again,« Cas said and pulled me out of my destructive thoughts and made me flinch. Cursing, I lowered my head and lifted it again after sighing.

»I'm just nervous.«

His hand tightened around mine for a moment before he let loose again. He tried to give me confidence with this gesture and it touched my heart in some weird way.

How did he change so much in those few years?

»I'm nervous too. Maybe more than I seem to be. But trust me, sweetheart. They will accept you and me, much more you.«

Sighing I nodded and let him drag me to my parents and my future in-laws – weren't they already my in-laws? In some way, Cas and I were already married through the marking on our napes.

And only the thought about us being married made me blush.

»What are you thinking now?« Cas laughed, and my heart responded with a quickened heartbeat.

What was wrong with me today?

Irritated, I looked up to him and shrugged my shoulders. It was good that it still wasn't too warm, so I hoped that the cold evening air would cool down my hot face. And it was good too that the cold air didn't really matter to our kind.

Well, I could get affected by it, but the other werewolves – except the Omegas – didn't mind the cold.

»There are our main actors of the evening!« Alpha Kenneth greeted us with open arms and made me flinch back.

I knew him as kind and friendly but normally he still wore the strict mask of a leader. As an Alpha he needed to wear such a mask. For the safety of the pack, he couldn't show weaknesses.