1 - First Impressions

The first thing I did when I came out of the water, was gasp for air. It felt like my lungs would explode if I didn't. I couldn't tell if it was the water or sweat dripping down my forehead, or maybe both. Eventually, I put my hand on my cold forehead to calm down.

Panicked I looked around in the cage I was in. A cold, metal floor was under me. The walls were metal too. The cage wasn't bigger than an elevator. It was going up like an elevator too.

"Hello?" My voice echoed through the walls. It was hoarse like I hadn't spoken in days. Taken back by hearing it, I stared at the boxes around me. They were filled with food, weapons, and clothes. My eye caught something silver shining in the faint, red light. I rushed over to it and pulled the object out. It was a large knife.

Where am I? I wondered. Who am I?

I couldn't remember anything about myself. My mind was blank. Did I even have a name? I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to think about something. I could picture animals, like dogs, but didn't remember having one. It was strange and I was scared. Scared of what was going to happen to me.

When the cage came to a sudden stop, I fell behind a large box. The red light turned green and a buzzing noise made me panic even more. Then something above me opened. Daylight made me blinded and I had to blink a few times before I could look again.

Suddenly the ground shook as someone jumped into the cage.

"What do you see, Newt?"

"Did they klunk their pants?"

"I bet they're shuckin' ugly!"

"Like you."

"Shut up, Minho!"

I frowned at all the voices, which seemed to belong to males. Klunk? Shucking? What was that supposed to mean?

"There's no one in the bloody Box." Someone with a thick, British accent yelled out. Some people gasped, and others muttered something. I peeked over the box I was behind just to make eye contact with a pair of brown, beautiful eyes. They opened wide and I quickly averted my eyes from theirs again.

"There is someone in the Box." The Brit realized. Afraid of what was going to happen, I moved away from the box, so the boy could see my whole body. His mouth fell open as he inspected my body. I looked at my body too and noticed I wore green cargo pants, black boots, and a white shirt with buttons at the top.

"It's a girl." The boy gasped. I looked up and met his eyes again. Blonde, messy hair almost covered them.
People around the cage gasped but didn't say anything.

Without hesitation, I pulled out the knife and pointed it at the boy, who moved backward a little. Who knew what he was gonna do? Maybe he was going to hurt me? Or worse?

The boy had to recover from the sudden action before he talked again. "It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you. No one is." He slowly moved his hand toward the knife, causing my grip to tighten on it. The boy grabbed the knife and carefully took it out of my hand. Surprised I stared at him, not knowing what to say.

"We'll get you out, alright?" The boy kept looking at me with his big eyes. Slowly I nodded and got off the floor. The first thing I noticed was that the blonde boy was taller than I expected. He was only five inches taller than me, though, so the difference wasn't that big.

The boy smoothly climbed out of the Box and held out his hand for me to grab. Hesitantly I put my small one in his. The boy pulled me up like it was nothing. As fast as possible, I got on my feet. Immediately dozens of people, who all seemed to be boys, got closer to me.

"The show's over, slintheads! Leave the girl alone!" A voice, which sounded deeper than the blonde boy's voice, yelled. Some boys' faces darkened, but they gave up and obeyed.

Soon there were just three people left in front of me. The blonde boy, a dark-skinned boy with very clear skin, and an Asian boy.

The Asian boy looked up and down at me, seeming to judge me. He raised his eyebrows.
"A girl, huh?" He grinned annoyingly. I noticed his black hair was perfectly styled with gel. He seemed quite confident with his arms over each other, revealing the strong biceps.
"Does she talk or is she gonna keep staring like a total idiot?"

Out of reaction, I kicked the boy in the crotch, then my eyes widened when I realized what I had done. I was acting all tough and stuff, but I was scared as hell. The boy bent down and let out some grunts, most likely in pain. "You-." He grunted but cut himself off.

"Alright. That's it." The dark-skinned boy grabbed my arm and pulled me with him. Panicked I looked around me. Then my eyes opened wide. Four giant stone walls surrounded me. Green ivy covered them. In one of the walls was a big gap, but I couldn't see what was in there. What the hell was this place?

"Welcome to the Glade." The dark-skinned boy came to a stop.

"What?" I stammered confused.

"I'll show you."