9 - Weapon Room

"Jane, Jane, Jane!" Chuck hysterically screamed, jogging over to me in a ridiculous way. I was sitting in the corner of the Glade. My back leaned against the soft ivy as I watched Chuck. "That was AWESOME!"

"No, it wasn't Chuck." I sighed and rubbed my eye. "I screamed in front of the whole Glade, Minho will never let me be a Runner, and everyone knows what happened last night. It was horrible."

"But you punched Minho AND screamed at him !" Chuck yelled out as he sat down next to me. "No one ever dares to do that to the Shank. Well, the rule is to not harm any other Glader, but still. Even Alby wouldn't do that. Seriously, Minho orders Alby to give him water. He's the only one who can do that! Alby wouldn't do that for anyone but him."

"But he hates me now!" I frustratedly replied, throwing my head back.

"Didn't he already?" Chuck blurted out.

"He kind of did... but now even more! I was starting to like him, Chuck." I explained, trying to calm myself down. I was still angry at Minho of course, but the outcome of my actions wasn't great.

Chuck mumbled something, but then we were silent for about two minutes. I was lost in my own thoughts as I looked at the grass until Chuck talked again. "It's Dave the Slicer, look! He's walking over to us." He pointed at a dark-haired boy.

My eyes opened wide. Something about the look on his face and his hair made me realize it was the boy from the previous night.

"I think he wants to make a talk-."

"No, no, he does not want to make a talk, Chuck." I roughly got up from my seat. "We gotta go." I grabbed the kid's arm and pulled him up too.

"What? Why?" Chuck frowned, still looking at the boy, Dave apparently. Dave was walking closer every second, stomping, but grinning.

"I said that someone assaulted me last night, right? It's him! Now just go!" I still held Chuck's arm and pulled him with me. The kid almost stumbled over, but caught himself and quickly ran with me. I never let go of Chuck, not feeling like taking separate ways. "Come on!" I raised my voice once I noticed Chuck being out of breath and his face turning red.

"I- am- not- in- a- good- shape!" Chuck panted heavily, gasping for air.

I turned my head to look at the kid. "Just keep running!"

When I turned around again, we bumped right into someone. I let out a yelp and left Chuck, face-planting on the ground.

"Holy shit!" The person yelled. I crawled off the floor and brushed the dirt off my clothes, just to see the person who we bumped into. Minho, great.

We stared at each other for a few seconds. I didn't know what to say, but my heart started beating faster. Minho's eyebrows furrowed and he was about to open his mouth, but Chuck interrupted.

"JANE! HE IS COMING!" His voice echoed through the whole Glade, making me shrink. "Go, go!" Chuck pushed me further and together we started running again, leaving Minho behind, confused and shocked.

"Where do we go?" I asked Chuck.

"I know a place!" A grin appeared on his face as we ran over to the Homestead. I didn't know if it was a good idea to lock ourselves up in there, but followed Chuck anyways.

"Here!" Chuck grabbed my arm and pulled me down some stairs. Confused I watched the boy grab a key out of his pocket and open a door. In the wood of the door was carved 'Weapon Room'.

We rushed into the room and Chuck locked the door behind us. "Jesus Christ, Chuck. That was smart!" I breathed. Then I took my surroundings, eyes opening wide.

We were in a small room with a faint light, but bright enough for me to see the dozens of weapons hanging on the walls. Bows, knives, arrows, and lots of other things.

"Chuck! Where the hell are we and why do you have a key to this room?" I whisper-screamed.

"When you bumped into Minho, I grabbed the key out of his pocket!" Chuck explained, a proud grin appearing on his face.

Surprised I stared at the boy. "Wow, Chuck. That was smart, seriously. Good job." I gave him a nod. "But don't open the door until I say so, okay? Please."

"Okay." Chuck agreed, zipping his mouth with his finger.

I smiled lightly and started walking around the room, slowly trailing my hands on the weapons. I came to a sudden stop when I started to feel nauseous. My breaths got quicker and my vision started to blur.

"You okay?" Chuck worried.

I held up my finger and tried to calm myself down, but felt my legs give up.

~

"Subject A5." A man called, standing next to a big screen. A picture of a blonde boy was shown on the screen with some sentences under it.

"His actions sabotaged the patterns." The man explained. "The mood of subject A7 has changed after he had to drag A5 out of the maze. It's ruining our experiment and patterns."

"What do we do about it?" A blonde woman dressed in white asked. More people, including me, sat around a big table, all watching the screen.

"We make sure he can't do it again." The man said in a cold tone.

"We can't just let him disappear." Another man discussed. "It'll get suspicious and we don't know how the other subjects will accept this."

"Then we send someone else to do it."

~

I opened my eyes and shot out of my trance.
"Holy shit, Jane!" Chuck hung above me. Apparently, I lay on the ground. Quickly I got up and blinked a few times, trying to understand what I just saw.

"You okay? You literally fell unconscious for a few minutes!" Chuck panicked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." My voice cracked, but I ignored it. "Maybe we should get out of this room now."