56 - Beetle Blade

"You know what day it is tomorrow, Shebean?" Minho asked when we came out of the maze. The day had been quite boring, to be honest, so I was happy when Minho and I got out of the Map Room at the same time, on our way to dinner.

"Well?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Greenie Day." Minho sighed, dramatically staring forward. "So you won't be the Newbie anymore."

"I won't?" I realized, a smile growing on my face. "I hope it's another girl. I could get a friend
who understands me here!"

"You gonna replace me?" Minho gasped.

"I'll consider it." I joked with a small laugh.

Minho and I quickly took our food, hungry after a whole day of running, and joined Chuck and Newt.

"You have to give him the tour," Minho added with a grin.

"Him? You don't know if it's a boy." I took a bite of my food.

"He's right." Newt nodded, ignoring my comment. "Because you are the newest Greenie, you give him the tour. First, Alby talks to him for a bit and then you show him around."

"Why do you keep saying him?" I frowned and leaned my head against my hand. "You don't know yet."

"The chance that it'll be a boy is big," Minho explained like it was the most normal case in the world.

Sounds like he's a father who is about to get a baby boy.

"You don't know that. What if they give boys for three years and then girls for three years? So maybe I'm just the first one." I suggested, actually thinking there was a true chance.

"Maybe." Minho shrugged, not the reaction I expected him to have. I thought he would reply with something sarcastic or say he would love to have more girls in the Glade, but he didn't for some reason.

"I think one girl is enough." Chuck blurted out.

"I agree, but probably for others reasons than Chuck." Minho nodded in satisfaction, not explaining why he had different reasons than Chuck. I didn't even know Chuck's reason!

I gave Chuck an offended glance. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You keep on cuddling in my bed!" Chuck crossed his arms.

"It's my bed." I corrected. "I invited you to sleep there too, but it's mine."

"I ain't gonna sleep there if it smells like Mean Hoes!" Chuck furrowed his eyebrows. "Or lizards."

"A month ago you said Newt smelled nice!" I replied without thinking for a straight second. When I realized what I said, my cheeks got a color.

"Not nicer than me!" Chuck pouted. "And Minho stinks too! No wonder I threw the water over your heads this morning."

Well, crap.

I turned to look at Newt, whose face darkened. Now he found out I slept next to Minho again! Immediately I felt bad for him, but also for Minho who watched both of us carefully.

"You said you took a shower," Newt said, tone and face blank.

"I did," I confirmed.

"With Minho," Chuck added.

"What?" I snapped my head toward Chuck. "That's not true, Chuck. I took a shower on my own. Minho was keeping watch outside."

Newt didn't reply and kept on eating, giving Minho some glances through the minutes, until Chuck bent down and whispered something into Minho's ear a little too loudly.

"You should've defended Jane!"

"Why would I do that?"

"She'll like you better!"

"It's too late now."

"If you want to impress the love of your life, then-."

Before Chuck even got to finish, I choked on my food and started coughing heavily, tears forming in my eyes because that always happened when I choked on food.

"You okay there?" Newt questioned like he didn't hear what Chuck said. Maybe he didn't.

"Yeah.." I let out another cough. "Fine." But then something else drew my attention. "Aah! What the shuck is that?" I screamed and pointed at something on the table.

A weird creature walked over the table. It looked like a scorpion mixed with a worm and a bug. Confusing as hell. The body was silver, about ten shucking inches long. I counted, yes counted, twelve legs running down the length of its body, six on each side. A bright, blinding red light was in the place of its eyes. But the thing that most caught my attention, was the letters on top of it. WICKED. Something was up about that word.

"Now that, Shebean." Minho sighed. "That's a Beetle Blade."

I frowned and stared at the weird thing. Without even thinking for a second, I held up my hand, ready to push it off the table.

"No!" Minho slapped my hand away, and I gave him an offended look. "It'll bite."

Chuck gasped loudly. "You Mean Hoe! When I was the Greenie you told me to pet it and that it didn't bite, but when I did, it bit me and you laughed! How come you do warn Jane?"

"Why not?" Minho grinned.

"It hurts like shuck!" Chuck crossed his arms. "You really are a Mean Hoe."