69 - Escape

We arrived at the cliff, hiding around the corner as Thomas took a peak. Then he sighed and turned to us again.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked, voice shaking.

"Yeah." Thomas nodded.

"Shit," I muttered as I took Chuck's hand in mine, hoping to comfort the poor boy.

"You take this, Chuck." Thomas handed Chuck the key. "Stay behind us."

Teresa tied up her hair and looked at the frightened Chuck. "It's okay. Just stick with me."

"And Jane," Newt added.

"What?" I turned around as Thomas started giving a speech. "I want to help you fight."

Newt shook his head. "You already helped us enough yesterday, love. Just go with Chuck and Teresa. You can protect them, alright?"

I looked down in disappointment but agreed.

It seemed like Thomas finished his speech in the meanwhile. "Anyone wants to add something?"

"Be careful, don't die," Minho replied. I smiled at the familiar phrase.

"All right. Let's go!" All the boys let out a scream and ran toward the Griever while Teresa, Chuck, and I stayed behind.

"We'll make it," I assured the scared Chuck. "We promised we would stay together, remember?"

Chuck nodded. "And you have to keep promises."

"Indeed." I smiled. "Let's go."

The three of us ran over the Cliff, the horror of the boys fighting the Grievers happening right in front of us.

"Watch out!" But I was too late. A metal leg already hit the Key out of Chuck's hands.

Chuck yelped and ran over to the rolling Key. He jumped on the ground, catching it right before it fell down the abyss. But then a Griever climbed up the wall, growling at the kid. Chuck screamed and almost fell over the edge. I ran over to the kid and grabbed his legs.

"I got you, Chuck!"

"Pull me up!" Chuck hurried. We got on the surface again just when the boys pushed a Griever off the edge, but soon more Griever appeared, climbing up from the walls.

"Come on!" I yelled to Chuck and Teresa. I ran past a Griever and slid in between some fighting boys, toward the round door. The Key clicked and slowly the door opened.

"Here!" We got scanned by the red line as we heard the yells behind us.

"It works!" Chuck cheered when a screen appeared in front of us. Eight lines were pictured and a keyboard with numbers under it.

"Thomas! There's a code! Eight numbers!" Teresa yelled.

Thomas mumbled something under his breath before he yelled back. "Hey, Minho! What's the sequence?"

"What?" The fighting boy asked back. I watched every step he and Newt did, ready to help whenever I had to.

"The sections of the maze, what's the sequence?"

"Oh!" Minho realized. "Seven! One! Five! Two! Six! Four!"

Teresa typed everything in as Minho said the sequence, but then someone screamed.

"Heads up!"

Minho looked up and before I could do something, a Griever jumped on top of him.

"Minho!" I screamed. The boy tried to push the Griever off him with his spear, slime sticking on his face.