50 - WICKED ✭

A/N: What's your favorite moment between Newt x Jane and between Minho x Jane? (If you even remember that, at least!)

Fifty chapters already, omg! Thank you all so much for the support, reads, comments, and votes!
I really appreciate it ❤️

~

"Give her more," Janson ordered, standing in front of his colleagues like usual.

"More?" Ava frowned. "It's too much."

Janson glanced at her before turning to the others again. "It affects A7 and A5 too. Especially A5's brain patterns. Maybe we can get a little good out of the boy before we get rid of him."

"It's not making her any better. Her health is going down, Janson." Ava clicked on the big screen behind them.

A red line appeared, moving up and down, like mountains. At some point, the line only went down, never up. No one said a thing, explained what the line was for, just stared.

"How's Thomas doing?" Ava interrupted the awful silence.

"We changed our plans," Janson replied, not really answering the chancellor. "He won't be a spy."

"Won't?" Ava repeated, confused no one discussed it with her.

"You know Thomas. He won't do it.. most likely even find a way to trigger our system." Janson paused. "And I don't know why we sent Jane into the maze as a spy at all. Could've chosen someone who did it better. She never obeys."

"She will." Ava decided. "Just make the consequences worse. No more dreams, Janson." Then she walked out of the room.

Janson took a look around the room. "The dreams affect them too much to ignore. Give her more. Better ones."

"Better in scarier?" A man asked.

"Better in realistic. Like she's living in it." Janson rubbed his chin and seemed thoughtful for a second. "And worse."

~

"Thomas." Janson gave Thomas a polite smile, but the boy didn't. His gaze was cold, staring at Janson.

Janson's face didn't show any other emotions as he sat down in the cold, almost empty room. The walls were grey, but perfectly clean. No dust. A table with two chairs on each side was in the middle of the room. One for Thomas, one for Janson. A camera hung in the corner, watching every word Thomas spoke.. every movement he made, looking for something suspicious.

"What are you doing with her?" Thomas growled.

Janson let out a chuckle, which got Thomas even more upset. "We're doing our best to find a cure, Thomas."

Thomas scoffed. "At this point, you're just torturing."

Janson sighed and squeezed one of his eyes a bit close, giving Thomas an angry look, though he hid it well. "We're not torturing. We're doing our best to succeed the trial, Thomas. You have to understand that."

"You're controlling her dreams," Thomas said through his teeth. "I know you do, so stop with those sick lies of you."

"I thought we taught you to be polite, Thomas."
It was annoying that Janson said Thomas his name after each sentence, but it made an impression on Thomas.

"Try to be polite to her first." Thomas still had the same cold gaze, hiding the fear in his stomach, face, and voice.

"If she's refusing, then we have to go a bit rougher," Janson explained.

"She has no idea what's going on, so maybe that's why she's refusing!" Thomas almost threw his hands in the air.

Janson stared at Thomas for a while, expression unreadable. "I didn't come here to argue with you. I'm here to talk about the dreams."

"What about them?" Thomas snapped.

Janson raised his eyebrows as he handed Thomas a note with multiple sentences written on it. "Dreams we want to give her," Janson explained.

"A little more context, please?" Thomas motioned at the note, frowning. "I don't know what sort of dream I'm supposed to imagine with the word Griever."

"Really, Thomas?" Janson took a breath. "I suppose you know what a Griever is.. what a dream is.. what a nightmare is.. combine them, and you got a nightmare, trapped in the maze, followed by a Griever."

"I think that every single boy in there has nightmares about the maze. It won't make a difference." Thomas realized. The look Janson gave him made him unsure. Like Janson was planning something.

"Exactly. That's why we're adding something. A5."

Thomas' face darkened. "Newt got nothing to do with this." The boy didn't know what Jane was actually in the maze for. Her task.

"A5 won't have a nightmare, Thomas." Janson laughed like the answer was obvious and Thomas was dumb. "He's only in it for Jane."

"In the maze with her?" Thomas lowered his voice, afraid something would happen to his two best friends. It hurt him neither of them remembered him, but at least he knew them. He missed them both equally, Minho too.

"Something like that." Janson grinned. "A5 will-."

"His name is Newt." Thomas interrupted. "Not A5."

Janson sighed, but to Thomas' surprise, listened. "Newt will indeed be in the maze. On top of it."

For a second, Thomas was confused, but then it hit him. "What?" He stammered, remembering all too well what he saw on the screens one time. When Jane sat next to him, both crying and even holding hands when they saw their dear best friend, maybe more to Jane, jump off the wall. It hurt so much, and yet, Janson still dared to use it to his benefit.

"You can't do that," Thomas ordered.

"Oh, but we will. Just gotta let her watch Newt climb as she runs away from the Griever. It'll be so realistic.. so dreadful.. that she'll obey every task we give her after, or else the consequence will be being trapped in another dream."

The look on Janson's face made Thomas want to hit him in the face. He got angry. Angry for Janson even daring to hurt Jane like that, using Newt in his benefit like he was worth nothing, and controlling Jane.
"Just stop the consequences."

Janson laughed out loud. "We're not going to do that, Thomas. Use that brain of yours. But talking about consequences.." Janson handed Thomas another note. "Here."

Thomas' stomach dropped. "You can't have consequences like this. She won't have a choice."

"Exactly." Janson grinned. "Go on, Thomas. Read them.. read them out loud."

Thomas took a deep breath and started reading, hiding the pain in his voice. "Number one. Getting out of control with her thoughts. Number two. Doors not closing. Number three. Giving the wrong memories again. Number four. Control her without mercy."

Janson's grin grew bigger at hearing his thought of 'amazing' ideas as Thomas looked up from the note, eyes full of fire, mixed with sadness. "What are the tasks?"

"Oh, Thomas." Janson playfully shook his head. "The tasks aren't that hard. Just stealing some stuff, cutting wires, lying, and spreading false information."

But there was one task Janson didn't mention. The task that was the only reason Jane was in the maze at all. Thomas wasn't suppose to know about that one.