15 - Training

A/N: What do you think of this so far? And what is your favorite part of the story? Let me know! ❤️

~

I got good news for ya, Greenie." Alby walked over to me while we still had breakfast. "And Minho." He gave the boy a glance. "The training can be given today."

A smile grew on my face. Finally, I was able to run. "Yes!" I smiled.

"What?" Minho sighed. "Today?"

"Yes. So get your ass up and go give her the shuckin' training." Alby ordered before walking away again.

I gave Minho a hopeful look, who sighed again. "It's not like I have a choice." He mumbled and got up. Immediately I followed him.

Minho grabbed a stopwatch out of his pocket as we walked toward the middle of the Glade.

"Grumble one time and I will stop giving the training, alright?" Minho sternly said. Quickly I nodded. "Okay. You gotta be fit, so you're gonna do ten push-ups, then run over to that wall, tap it, run back, ten more push-ups, and back to the wall again. Repeat it five times." 

At first, I was a bit surprised by the amount of stuff I had to do but then reminded myself that I would have to do it perfectly if I wanted to be a Runner, so I did. As I ran, the adrenaline pumped through my veins and I loved it. It felt awesome.

After a while, I did the first task and was a bit out of breath, but guessed I did fine.

"Now run a round around the Glade. I will time you. If you don't make it in five minutes, then you won't be a Runner."

I looked around in the Glade and guessed it was about 800 meters. It was easily done in five minutes, I realized. Minho gave me a nod and I started running. I didn't give all my energy at the start but separated it through the round I ran.
A light breeze blew in my face, making it even nicer for me. With my cheeks probably red, I arrived back to Minho, but I wasn't out of breath.

"Two minutes and forty seconds." Minho looked up from his watch. "Almost better than me."

A big smile planted on my face. I almost beat the Keeper!

"Twenty push-ups after that immediately run another round, then twenty sit-ups and push-ups, then you run again. Repeat three times."

Stunned I looked at Minho, who shrugged. "I didn't make the training. But if you want to be a Runner, you have to be able to do this easily."

I nodded and started doing my tasks. Sweat dripped down my forehead, but I kept going. The running and training felt so familiar. Even comfortable.

Once I was done, my chest moved up and down quicker than before and my face was bright red, but I felt awesome.

"Okay. Your timing is great. Better than some others, at least." Minho admitted. After that he gave me lots of more exhausting tasks, until finally, it was time for dinner. We already ate lunch earlier, just a small sandwich in between a task.

With my legs hurting a bit, I sat down next to Chuck. Minho sat across from us, next to Newt. It was just like we always sat. To be honest, I liked our seats and table. It was always the same, and exactly that was what I liked.

"How did it go?" Chuck asked. "I watched you for a bit and it looked quite good."

"He watched the whole shuckin' day." Newt corrected.

"Ah, Newt!" Chuck gave him an offended glance. "You watched for a long time too!"

Newt's face turned red and he didn't say anything else.

"It went great, Chuck." I paused and looked at Minho. "Right?"

"Yeah. I think you can do it." Minho simply replied. Newt tensed up across from me.

"So she's gonna be a Runner?" He lowered his voice.

"Well, we have to discuss it in a gathering, but yes. I think so." Minho decided.

Newt's face dropped, but he didn't mention it again. Instead, he changed the subject. "So did you two finally make things up?"

Minho and I looked at each other. "No." We said in unison. "Not yet."

My eyes opened wide and a dark feeling washed over me as my chest tightened. Dave. He was there. Walking over to us.

"Are you okay, Jane? All the color in your face disappeared!" Chuck mentioned.

Newt turned his head to look at Dave, who came closer by the second. "Oh, he's back. His punishment is over."

My breathing hitched in my throat when Dave sat down next to me. Newt tensed up again and Minho balled his fists. Chuck scooted further away.

"What are you doing, Dave?" Minho asked through his teeth.

"What? Am I not allowed to join you guys?" The boy scoffed and got even closer to me. I moved closer to Chuck, but Dave kept scooting too.

I was very uncomfortable at that point and was glad Minho noticed. "Dave. Can you leave?"

"No, thanks." The boy took a bite of his apple in a very annoying way.

"Leave," Newt ordered. "That wasn't a question."

Dave ignored Newt and put one of his hands on my thigh. Out of reaction and maybe on purpose, I grabbed his wrist, hard. "Don't touch me." I lowered my voice and looked Dave in the eyes.

Dave roughly pulled away from me and got up, holding his wrist which I made red. He gave Minho a dirty glance before leaving.

"Obviously he hasn't learned from his mistakes yet." Newt sighed.

I turned to him. "Yeah, no shit."

"So we'll also discuss a new sleep place for you in the gathering." Newt decided. "You can't sleep around those boys anymore. Gally could make you a hut."

I pouted. "But what about Chuck?"

"You care more about Chuck sleeping alone than someone assaulting you?" Minho scoffed.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Uhm, yes? If you get me a hut, then Chuck can stay in that one too."

"Really?" Chuck looked up, eyes twinkling.

"Of course! You're my best friend." I smiled at him. "When is the gathering?" I was curious if I would be a Runner or not, but was convinced I would be one. I did the training good, right?

"Tomorrow," Newt answered.