62 - Another One

Newt and I might have been up the whole night talking.. but he comforted me, though he didn't manage to make me less sad about Minho.

"Chuck!" I shook the boy awake. "The Doors are about to open!"

Chuck groaned and opened his eyes. The kid looked cute sleeping, but I would rather check up if Minho was alive than him sleeping.
"You look like crap, Jane."

"Thanks, Chuck. You too." I sprinted out of the hut before even saying anything else.

The worry got worse by the second as I impatiently waited for the Doors to open. Soon a few more boys stood next to me, but half of them already gave up on thinking they survived. But I didn't. A part of me told me Minho survived, yet I was so worried I felt like I could break down any minute.

Slowly the Doors started to open. Too slow. But when I finally caught a glimpse of the maze, no one was there. No Minho, no Thomas, and no Alby. All dead.

"No." I breathed, panicking already. I couldn't lose Minho! The tears burned in my eyes, but instead of giving the Gladers another show, I walked off, to the Deadheads.

Every other noise or word flew past me and I could only feel my heart breaking into pieces, leaving me empty, that was how it felt, at least.

With my head still down and tears dropping on the ground, I sat down in the middle of the woods. Soon the sobs came and there I was, crying again, but probably for the worst reason I ever imagined. At least I shared one last kiss with Minho before he left.

My shoulders shook as I buried my head in my knees, pulling them up to my chest. It was awful. Everything was awful. The maze, the tasks, the consequences, Minho being dead...

Suddenly two arms wrapped around me, but I resisted. "Leave me alone." I cried.

The person sighed. "Look up, Shebean."

The familiar nickname made my head snap up. And there he was. Sitting right in front of me, eyes twinkling and the familiar smirk on his face.

"Missed me?"

I gasped and wrapped my arms around Minho tighter than ever, more tears dropping, but this time out of happiness. Minho chuckled and hugged back, wrapping one of his hands around my waist and putting the other one on the back of my head.

"For god's sake yes, I missed you!" I sobbed, my arms clenching around Minho.

He laughed again and got up, though I never let go, so he pulled me with him.

"Are you ever letting go, Shebean?" Minho questioned.

"Maybe." I sniffed as Minho rubbed my back, still letting out some laughs. "I thought you were dead."

"I wouldn't die without saying goodbye," Minho replied.

"Or just don't die," I suggested, making Minho laugh again. A nice laugh.

"Alright then." Minho sighed and eventually let go of me, so I was forced to do too.
"I promise to you, Jane, the only girl, the Shebean, that I won't leave. But you will have to promise too."

"I promise to you, Minho, the Keeper of the Runners, the fastest, that I won't leave." I smiled.

"Don't break your promises." Minho sternly said.

"I won't." I smiled.

About that...

"Good that." Minho nodded.

"So did Alby and Thomas make it too?" I asked as we started to walk back to the others, my happiness returning.

"Yep."