5 - Working

"Nice to meet you." A dark-haired boy with a brown shirt shook my hand. "Winston. Keeper of the Slicers."

"Jane," I replied with a small, forced smile. I didn't feel like making any more enemies in my first days. Minho was already bad enough.

"Ready?" Winston opened the door to the Blood House. Immediately a horrible smell filled my nose, like something rotten. I pulled a face and sniffed lightly. "You'll get used to the smell." The Slicer added.

With a disgusted face, I nodded but wasn't convinced. I would never get used to something terribly smelling like that. How could Winston even work there every day?

"We'll start simple. A chicken." Winston explained, not seeming bothered by all the blood in the House. I took my surroundings. Everywhere were tables, covered in blood. When I saw a boy with a dead pig in front of him, I almost vomited and decided to let myself get killed by the Grievers if I turned into a Slicer. Literally.

"Got him." Winston smiled and revealed a chicken, which was still making noise. I sighed and got ready for the best day of my life. Yay.

~

"I think I might vomit." I groaned as I sat down across from Newt and Minho.

"Because you looked in the mirror?" Minho grinned, not looking me in the eyes.

"No, because I saw your face." I snapped, already bothered by the boy. What was his problem? Seriously. Did he only act like this because I kicked him? It was his own fault.

Newt sighed and glanced at Minho. "After lunch, you'll go to the kitchen with Fry. Gotta cook some dinner."

"I might consider poisoning Minho." I simply replied.

"Can't take my beautiful face anymore?" Minho pouted annoyingly.

"Alright. That's enough." Newt sternly interrupted our bickering. "If y'all continue with this, I'll let you sleep in a hut together." He threatened.

"Is our cutie Newtie threatening now?" Minho patted the Brit on his shoulder.

"Thank you very much you think I'm cute, Minho." Newt sarcastically snapped. "But I will let you sleep in a hut together if you don't stop."

"Never in my life that I'm gonna sleep close to Minho." I frowned.

"Then you better stop bickering over shuckin' nothing, you slintheads," Newt ordered.

~

The dark-skinned boy I already knew as Frypan, greeted me. "Ready?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "What are we making?"

"Spaghetti. It's their favorite, so we better try our best." Frypan smiled, which to me looked very kind. Just as his whole personality. "If you go get some plants in the Deadheads, we can make seasoning out of it, to add some taste. Can you do that? I will be right here boiling the pasta."

"Okay. I got it." I gave the Cook another smile before walking off the Deadheads on my own. In the meanwhile, I looked around the Glade and watched some boys work. I also saw Newt. He was planting some stuff in the ground as he talked with another blonde boy. To be honest, I admired Newt. The blonde was very kind, but could also take lead. He knew exactly how to make people feel comfortable with his company. I liked him... As a friend, I mean. Just a friend. Right?

After a while, I arrived in the dark woods. The trees shadowed over me, causing me to shiver lightly. Then I saw a lake next to me. It was beautiful. Multiple flowers lay on the water and I even saw a fish swimming. The water was clear, almost magical.

Once I realized I was in the Deadheads to get plants and not look at a lake, I quickly kept walking. It didn't take long for me to find the plants Frypan wanted me to get. Not wanting to waste any time, I grabbed the plants and walked back again.

"Got it, Newbie?" Frypan asked once he saw me appearing in the open kitchen again.

"Mhm. I hope these are the right ones." I handed him the green plants. Immediately Frypan inspected them before lying them down on the table.

"These are perfect. Nice job." A heartwarming smile of Frypan made me feel fluttered. "You gotta clean the plants, cut them into pieces, and then put them in the sauce." Frypan motioned at the pan in his hand, which had red sauce in it. "Newt delivered fresh tomatoes this morning. That shank is quite good at gardenin', not gonna deny that."

I chuckled lightly and got to work. It was fun, I had to admit. Frypan was nice to talk to and even gossip to. Cooking seemed like a good job, but I still wanted to be a Runner. "Almost done." Frypan helped me put the pasta onto dozens of plates, all for the hungry boys.

"Don't forget to save somethin' for yourself, Greenie." Frypan handed me a plate too, which I gladly took.  "You can go eat. I'll serve."

"Thank you, Frypan!" I gave him a big, genuine smile and assumed the Cook was one of my friends now. Hopefully. I joined Newt, Minho, and Chuck, who already rushed to the kitchen to get food.

"Jane! I gotta say one thing... this tastes awesome!" Chuck complimented, stuffing his mouth full of food.

"Chuck's right, again." Newt smiled at me before eating his own food too.

I blushed lightly. "Can't forget Frypan. He did most of the work."

"Do not put yourself down like that!" Chuck ordered with a full mouth. The food almost fell out. It looked ridiculous.

After a while, Minho spoke. Of course, it had to be something mean. "Gotta say that this tastes good, Shebean... but, what's with the clothes? You've been wearing them since the moment you got up here."

Confused I stared at Minho. Seriously? Was he trying to point everything out?
"Maybe think about the fact that the Box didn't send me up any other clothes. And besides, I don't see you wearing different stuff either. So just stop talking and eat your food before I push your head into the sauce."

Minho rolled his eyes but didn't reply.

"That was a nice one," Chuck whispered in my ear. I smiled lightly and kept eating my own food too.