17 - Gathering

"You can be at the gathering," Newt said the next morning. My face lit up and I quickly followed Newt, my heart pounding in my chest. I was nervous.

"Alright. Slim it, everyone." Alby shouted once we all sat in the Hut. Alby stood on a podium with two chairs behind him. Newt sat on one of them. The other Keepers sat on benches and I on a separate chair.

"As we all know, our Greenie here wanted to be a Runner. Minho gave her the training yesterday, and turned out, she was quite good at it. Almost beat Minho himself." Alby explained. A few boys gasped and looked at me. "So we go vote. Frypan, you start."

"I vote for Jane to be a Runner because she's able to do it," Frypan said. I gave him a thankful nod.

"Zart?"

"I vote yes." Was the only thing the Keeper said. A few more others followed and also said yes.

"I say no." Gally decided. My stomach dropped. Gally knew something about my memories and he didn't trust or like me.

"And you, Newt?" Alby turned to the Brit.

Newt took a breath before answering, causing me to frown. Why didn't he just say yes right away? He was my friend! Right?

"I would've voted no, but since-."

I never completely caught what Newt said, since the voice in my head was there again.

Cut the wires.

What wires? I asked back, in my head, of course.

The ones in the kitchen. For the power.

What if I don't do it? I wondered.

There will be consequences.

What is the consequence this time?

The voice stopped for a few seconds. There will be double Grievers in the maze tomorrow.

Then the voice got cut off. It was like something in my mind snapped. Gone.

What if I just obey for once? I wondered, not talking to the voice anymore. I don't want there to be double Grievers. What if someone gets hurt again? I don't want that. I'll obey.

"Jane!" Someone yelled. My head shot straight up.

"Yes?" I blinked a few times and stared right into Newt's beaut- Newt's brown eyes.

"You awake?" Newt frowned, like always.

"No. I'm asleep." I joked it off.

Newt sighed. "I don't know if you've noticed, but the bloody gathering is over. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Just trailed off for a sec." I shrugged but then turned more excited. "Am I a Runner?"

Newt grabbed my arm and pulled me off the chair. "Yes. You're a Runner."

"Really? Yes! Yes! Yes!" I jumped up and down like crazy. Newt stared at me in confusion.

"Thank you, Newt!" Without thinking, I gave the boy a quick hug. He only looked more confused.

"I didn't even-."

"CHUCK!" I yelled and ran out of the Gathering Hut, leaving the poor Newt alone. "Chuck!"

The boy appeared to be outside already since he stood right next to me.