65 - Jealous

"Hey, where are you going?" I asked Chuck right before I was about to take a shower.

"Giving Thomas some dinner. He's in the Pit." Chuck explained.

"Can I come with you?"

"Sure." Chuck took my arm and a piece of bread in the other hand. Together we walked over to the Pit while I held a torch.

"Who's there?" Thomas' voice asked.

"It's just us," Chuck spoke, bending down like me.

"Sorry, guys." Thomas looked relieved once he saw us.

"Here. You'll run better on a full stomach." Chuck handed the bread to Thomas, who looked even more relieved.

Immediately he stuffed his mouth with the bread. "Thanks, Chuck."

Chuck smiled and fidgeted with something in his hands.
"Hey, what have you got there?" I wondered. Chuck held up a carved-out of wood figure, which looked a bit like himself.

"Wow, that came out pretty damn good," Thomas said.

"It's beautiful, Chuck." I agreed. "What's that for?"

"It's for my parents." Chuck looked down, like he was ashamed.

"You remember your parents?" Thomas raised his eyebrows.

"No." Chuck averted his eyes from us. "I mean, I know I must have them." And wherever they are, I'm sure they miss me... but I can't miss them because I don't remember them."

I felt so bad for him. He was just a kid! Twelve, maybe thirteen! He deserved to just have parents and live a normal life.

"What do you think you're gonna find out there tomorrow?" Chuck sniffed.

"I don't know. But if there's a way out, Chuck, we are gonna find it." I assured.

Chuck took my hand and lay the figure in. "Here."

"Why are you giving this to me, Chuck?" I frowned in pity.

"I can't remember them anyway," Chuck whispered. "But maybe if you find a way out, you can give it to them for me."

The kid wanted to walk away, but I stopped him.
"Hey, Chuck. Put out your hand."

He did as I told him to do and I gave him back the figure, closing his hand around it.
"I want you to give that to them yourself. And you will. You're gonna get out of here. All of us will."

Chuck nodded, the tears forming in his eyes.

"Our promise, remember?" I lowered my voice. "We would stay together."

"We promised." Chuck nodded.

"All right." I nodded in agreement.
"Good night, Thomas."

~

I grabbed a towel and put the shower on, ready to hop in, but there was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I snapped.

"Need a watcher?"
The British accent immediately made me realize it was Newt.

I felt genuinely fluttered by his caring but didn't show it yet. "Are you a stalker now? How do you know I'm taking a shower?"

"Just agree to me keeping watch." Newt chuckled but didn't answer my question.

"Alright then. However you want to spend your time." I muttered as I got in the shower.

"Hey, Jane?" Newt asked after a few minutes, while I was scrubbing all the dirt off my body.

"Yeah?"