13 - "Newt shucker"

"So, Minho," I started the next morning at breakfast. Newt was nowhere to be seen, Chuck sat aside from me, and Minho across from me. "When will you give me this training thing?" I carefully asked.

"In a week," Minho grumbled, not making eye contact yet.

"A week!" I yelled out. "Why? What am I supposed to do all those days? Just give me that damn training right away!"

Minho looked up from his food, facing me in the eyes. "Look, you can order Newt stuff, who will do it right away for you, but that ain't workin' on me, Shebean."

With my eyebrows furrowed because I was stunned by what Minho said, and angry, I sighed. "I'm not ordering Newt to do anything for me. Why can't you just give me the training today?"

"Because I need to run myself, Shebean. Use your shuck brain." Minho rolled his eyes, which made the anger in me even worse.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I've been here for what, a week, and you expect me to know your whole damn schedule?" I snapped loudly.

"Hey, what's going on?" Newt sat down next to Minho, who by now also looked pissed.

"He's annoying."

"She's a Slinthead."

"You're a Slinthead!"

"Slim it, for god's sake!" Newt interrupted. "Y'all are acting like bloody children."

"Yeah, 'cause that child over there is indeed about to get bloody," I growled through my teeth.

"What are you gonna do? Poke me with your finger?" Minho raised his eyebrows challenging.

"Make another mark on your cheek," I suggested, looking at the small blue wound on Minho's cheek. The one I made.

Minho rolled his eyes and kept eating.

Poison their food.

I choked on my food once I heard the robot's voice talk again. Heavy coughs escaped my mouth and Chuck had to pat my back before I could breathe normally again.

Poison their food.

"You okay?" Newt looked at me in concern.

"Yeah." I let out some last coughs. Poison their food? What the hell! I wasn't going to do that.

If you don't do it then there will be consequences.

Consequences? I thought. What did it mean?

You have half an hour to complete.

Jesus, what is this? I wondered in my head. The three boys were still staring at me. I wasn't going to poison their food. Never.

"Since Minho can't give you the training today," Newt started. I gave Minho a dirty glance. "You will be working as a Cook."

Great, I thought. Working with food while I got the task to poison it. Awesome!

~

My hands were shaking when I cooked. What consequences would happen?

Five minutes left.

The voices said. My breathing hitched, but I kept cooking like it was nothing. Not even for a second I considered poisoning the boys. I wasn't going to do it, period.

Time's up.

I bit my lip, waiting for something to happen. And it did.

A loud explosion rang in my ears.
"HOLY!" Frypan screamed. I spun around and gasped. Frypan's pan was on fire, orange flames dancing around. The Cook ran over to the water tap and threw the pan in, trying to stop the fire.

In shock, I stared at the horror happening in front of me. This was the consequence.

After a few more yells, groans, and curses, the fire got washed away with water. Frypan's eyes were wide, skin pale. I felt so guilty, but a part of me said it might've been better than poisoning everyone.

"Are you okay, Fry?" My voice was shaky as I tried to hide it was me behind it all. Frypan looked up.

"Yeah. But the pan- it just... exploded." He stammered. I took Frypan's hand, which was covered in burns.

"We have to get that treated." I decided. Hopefully helping Frypan would help me get rid of the horrible feeling in my stomach. The guilt.

Frypan nodded and followed me out, to the Med Hut. My heart was pounding in my chest like crazy. What if I got another task and didn't complete it? Would the consequences get worse? Why were they giving me these tasks anyways?

"What happened?" Clint walked over to us.

"The pan exploded," Frypan grunted and held up his hand. Clint motioned for both of us to sit down, so we did. The Med-Jack started treating Frypan's hand while I watched with wide eyes.

"Are you okay too, Greenie? You're a little pale." Jeff put his hand on my shoulder, causing me to flinch. Surprised the boy quickly let go of me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry 'bout that." I looked at the ground.

~

(Warning: This is DRAMATIC, but Jane and Minho really need some more enemy stuff)

"What did I hear, Shebean? You let the pan explode?" Minho asked once I walked out of the Med Hut. My stomach dropped. "Could've been a bit more careful with our Cook."

"I wasn't even holding that pan, Mean Hoe." I snapped, hiding the guilt in my voice. Minho's face flushed with anger.

"I think that nickname fits you better than me. You know, you're mean and you're a-"

I interrupted Minho by kicking him in the crotch again. He groaned and bent down, but soon looked up again, eyes full of fire. The boy jumped on top of me, making the two of us fall onto the ground. All the air got hit out of my lungs, but I managed to grab Minho's wrist.

Together we rolled over the floor, looking ridiculous. We weren't even actually fighting.

"You shuck face!" Minho dramatically screamed.

"Your own fault!" I yelled back. Apparently, the Glade's surface wasn't completely straight, because we rolled down a hill, still holding each other. If it would've been two other people I would've laughed at the absurd sight, but that was not the case. 

"Idiot!"

"Slinthead!"

"Mean Hoe!"

"Asshole!"

"Son of a bitch!"

"Disabled Griever!"

"Deformed chicken!"

"Dingleberry!"

"What the shuck is a dingleberry!"

"You!"

We rolled down another small mountain. Minho's elbow hit my nose while I kneed him in the stomach.

"You're jacked!"

"Minhdorin!"

"Mean Hoe!"

"STOP IT YOU TWO!" Someone screamed loudly. We tried to stop rolling but went down another hill.

"I hope the Grievers eat you!"

"You son of a b-."

"ENOUGH!" The same person pulled me off Minho, who was breathing heavily, just like me. He gave me a raging glance, I did the same.
"Y'all are ridiculous!" Alby, who was the person that stopped us, yelled.

Minho gave me another nasty glance before walking past us. "Newt shucker." He mumbled. That was my sign to attack him again.

"JANE!" Alby screamed.

"Hair gel freak!" I yelled to Minho, completely ignoring Alby. Minho lay under me again, me above with balled fists. Again, Alby pulled me off of Minho, who mumbled something I gladly didn't hear.

"Go to Chuck, Jane," Alby ordered. "We'll see if you get any punishments for this... this ridiculous act!"