19 - Saver

Trigger warning ⚠️ - Sexual Assault. I'm not trying to romanticize this in any way. I'm aware of the fact this would not happen in the actual Maze Runner books/movies, but I want to spread awareness! Let me or anyone else know if you struggle with anything. ❤️

~

Jane's POV

At dinner, there was a strange tension. Newt and Minho didn't say a word and both looked at the ground while I tried to keep up a conversation with Chuck.

Eventually, I finished eating and didn't feel like staying with the moody boys. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to sleep. See ya in a minute, Chuckie!"

Before someone could say something else, I walked off to our familiar corner in the Glade. Chuck would probably arrive in a few minutes, so I started lying the ivy down so we had a soft surface.

Just when I bent down on my knees, I felt a hand on my shoulder. My chest tightened as a faint noise came out of my mouth.

"Hello there."

Dave. Awesome.

"What do you want?" I tried to hide the shake in my voice. Though I didn't show it, I was frightened of Dave.

"Some fun?" Dave suggested. I shivered at his horrible comments and ideas.

"No. Leave." I ordered, still bent down and not looking at Dave.

"I-."

"I don't want to do anything with you, Dave. So leave!" I raised my voice at the boy.

Dave roughly pulled me up and turned me around so our faces were just inches away. I could inspect it closer but didn't waste too much time on it. I only noticed his eyes were pitch black and his veins a bit blacker than a normal person would have.

"What are you gonna do? Get Minho? He's not here." Dave spoke through his teeth, spitting in my face.

Disgusted I looked at the boy. "Let go of me, or I'll scream."

Dave raised his eyebrows and grabbed something out of his pocket. "Wouldn't do that, my dear." He put something sharp against my throat, making me gasp. My stomach twisted and my eyes got watery. I couldn't do anything. Couldn't defend myself. Couldn't run. Nothing. The only fair thing was that we were in sight of others, so someone would see us, eventually.

Dave grabbed my wrist even tighter and pulled me with him. "Don't do anything." He threatened, never removing the knife. Frightened as ever, I followed Dave towards the Deadheads.

"Don't do this." I cried out.

"Shut up," Dave grumbled. His breaths started to get heavier and his veins were blacker.

"Don't touch me." I tried to pull away.

Dave came to an abrupt stop and pushed the knife even deeper into my skin, almost cutting. "I said shut up!"

We got into the woods, which were dark by now. It was getting night. With tears streaming down my face, I followed Dave, who kept mumbling stuff under his breath.

Dave didn't move very deep into the woods, just the edge. Then he pushed me against a tree. The knife he held flickered in the moonlight. Something about the way Dave acted was different, though. He was.. rougher and even scarier.

I held my breath when Dave suddenly pressed his lips onto mine. I didn't kiss back and just squeezed my eyes shut, hoping it would be over soon. Dave's hand trailed down to my pants.

"Don't." I sobbed quietly.

Dave scoffed and didn't reply in words. Then he moved his hand over my thigh, arm, and waist, but stopped at my chest. While his pitch-black eyes kept making contact with me, he touched me.

I cried a little too loudly, which made Dave mad. He covered my mouth with the hand he held the knife in while the other one slowly moved under my shirt. Muffled noises came out of my mouth as I tried to think of something to do.

When Dave touched my chest rougher than before, I bit his hand as hard as I could.

Dave screamed some awful rude stuff at me. I tried to run away as fast as I could, but Dave was right at my heels.

I realized he could easily throw the knife, but I kept running. Dave was surprisingly fast and managed to pull me back by my shirt.

I winced in pain when he slammed my back against a tree, hard. "No." I cried, a waterfall of tears streaming down my face. I could still feel Dave's hand everywhere he touched me. He cupped my cheek and stroked it lightly.

"You're such a pretty girl." He whispered scarily.

"Don't touch me!" I screamed. Dave's face flushed into anger right before he pressed his lips onto mine, harsh and forceful. When I wanted to push him off me, not even caring about the knife in his hand anymore, someone else did.

I watched a dark figure kick Dave in the face. It sounded like his nose broke. I stared at them in shock, a horrible feeling in my body.

"Jane, come on." The boy grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Dave. All my tears continued to drop like rain and it never stopped.

I didn't catch any of the things that happened around me, except that someone yelled for Alby to go check in the woods. I got pushed into an unfamiliar hut.

In a panic about what happened, I looked around. I still hadn't recognized the boy who saved me. I watched as he mumbled some stuff under his breath and he started pushing clothes that lay on the ground in his tiny closet. Was he.. cleaning?

After, the boy finally turned around to face me. His breaths were heavy and his chest moved up and down in fast motions. It was Minho. But at that point, it didn't really get through me. I was too upset and could only imagine Dave's face in front of my eyes.

"Hey, Jane." Minho walked over to me and wanted to grab my arm, but I flinched and took a few steps back until I hit Minho's desk, making a few things fall onto the ground with a loud noise.

Minho seemed taken back for a second but quickly recovered. "Come on, Shebean." He patted on his messy bed.

The familiar nickname made me a little bit more comfortable. But just a little. Carefully I walked over to Minho, who was saying stuff that all flew past me.

"Jane. Go lie down." His blurred voice echoed through my head. I did as Minho told me to do and lay down. Minho moved a blanket over me. "Try to sleep for now, okay?" He walked closer to the door, but I stopped him.

"Wait, Minho."

In a rush he spun around, probably surprised I finally talked. "Yes?"

"I don't want to be alone again." It was almost a whisper with a small voice crack. Minho walked closer to me.

"I need to take care of Dave, Shebean." He bent down next to his bed so we were closer to each other.

A dark feeling washed over me and I averted my eyes from Minho. I was so upset I would rather cuddle with Minho than sleep alone. "Oh, okay." I managed to get out. Hiding the disappointment and fear in my voice didn't succeed.

Hesitantly Minho looked at me for a few seconds. "What do I do?" He lowered his voice.

I bit my lip and thought for a second, or tried to do it clearly, at least. Eventually, I decided to just do what felt right to me at that point, so I moved to the side and motioned at the empty spot.

Minho's eyes opened a bit wider. "You want me to.. me?"

I nodded in response. After a few seconds of looking thoughtful, Minho put out his shoes and lay down a bit uncomfortable, staring at the ceiling while I lay on my side.

"Can I?" I whispered. Minho turned his head to look at me and eventually nodded. Very hesitantly I scooted closer to Minho, whose eyes were still opened wide. I moved my head against Minho's side and closed my eyes, but Minho interrupted.

"If we're gonna do this, then we better do it good as well." He said. Again, I flinched lightly when Minho suddenly lifted me on top of him. My head lay on his chest, he protectively put a hand on my head, and I wrapped one of my arms around Minho's waist.

It felt weird, but nice and safe. Somehow much different than with Newt, but just as comfortable.