29 - Map Room

Jane's POV

I slept surprisingly well in my new hut. Chuck snored, but I didn't really bother that, though I did wake up early in the morning.

I tried my best to look a little good before walking out of the hut. My dark hair was tied up in a ponytail, and I wore my clothes for running.

Not many people were awake yet. Some Runners, like me, Frypan since he had to cook for everyone, and Alby was sitting somewhere too.

I thanked Frypan for breakfast and looked around. Minho was sitting at our usual table, head down and eyes averted like he was either sad or angry. I sighed and wondered if I would join him. I would gladly do it, because I definitely liked him a lot, but I wasn't sure if he even liked me as a friend.

Eventually, I just sat down in front of him, not saying anything. Minho looked up for a split second, stared at me, and then looked down again.
"Morning, Shebean." He coldly said.

"Hey," I replied, not showing much emotion either. After that, no one said anything else. We both ate in silence, probably busy in our minds, thinking about whatever.

Later, I gathered enough confidence to just talk, hoping badly Minho wouldn't make any stupid comments. "We're still running today, right?"

"Yeah," Minho answered, then he finally looked up. Once my eyes met his soft brown ones, he averted them, but never turned his head away again. "I'm sorry about.. what I said yesterday." He slowly said. "It was just.." Minho paused and frowned. "I don't know." He mumbled, then raised his voice again. "Let's go, should we?"

I nodded and quickly followed Minho into the Deadheads, which got me confused. Why would we go into the Deadheads?

"We're going to the Map Room." Minho read my mind. I kept following him deep into the woods. We walked past a beautiful pond. Flowers were on it, the water was clear, and a few rocks and other plants surrounded the pond. I decided to go there more often whenever I needed time for myself.

Minho and I arrived in front of a wooden hut. It didn't look very different from our huts. Minho opened the door and touched my back, making my breathing hitch. Carefully he pushed me into the hut. "Ladies first." He muttered.

My cheeks turned a bit red at his touch, but soon my attention was drawn to something else. In the middle of the hut was a big, round table. On top of it was something that looked like the maze. All sorts of branches and twigs were glued onto the table, forming it. It looked quite good, to be honest, but it was the whole maze.

"It's the maze." I realized out loud. Minho didn't reply and just looked at the map. "It's all of it." I turned to look at Minho, whose eyes turned a bit sad. "Why is it all of it? We're still mapping it, right? Why is it this the whole maze?"

Minho sighed. "There's nothing left to map." He moved his head away from mine, hiding his eyes. "I've run every corner of it. Every inch, pattern, cycle.. there's nothing left."

Suddenly I started to feel bad for Minho. He looked so sad, staring at the map with his face full of hurt. Hesitantly I put my hand on his shoulder. "We'll find a way out. There has to be something we can do."

Minho mumbled some stuff like "horrible Keeper, bad leader, worth nothing.."

Stunned I looked at the boy. There was nothing left of the sassy, sarcastic one. He was full of pity, hurt, and sadness. "Hey. You're not a horrible Keeper." I tried to calm him. "If you were, then we wouldn't be standing in front of a fully mapped maze." I paused. "You mapped a whole maze, so that's not just nothing. We'll find a way out."