22 - Sunrise

I woke up, panting heavily. Cold sweat dripped down my forehead as I tossed around, searching for Chuck who was supposed to lie next to me. I had a dream. One about Dave. My hands were shaking uncontrollably and tears burned in my eyes.

"Hey, hey." Someone put their hand on my shoulder, which made me flinch. "It's okay. You're alright. It was just a dream."

Their voice was calm and soothing. And British. Newt. I turned my head a little. Newt was bent down next to me, trying to calm me down.

A small, hurtful sob came out of my mouth. I felt so weak to cry nonstop, weak to have these dreams, and weak that I couldn't defend myself. I wanted to learn how to defend myself.

Newt looked at me in pity. "Do you want to sleep again?"

I shook my head. "Rather not."

"Come on." Newt grabbed my hand. A spark of electricity shot through my arm, but I ignored it and followed Newt.

It was still a bit dark in the Glade. Everyone was asleep.

"Not afraid of heights?" Newt asked once we stood in front of a tall, wooden tower. It didn't look very stable, but Newt and I started climbing the ladder anyways. Me first, then Newt.

How can he climb up here with his limp? I wondered.

It took a while to arrive at the top, but once I did, I gasped. From up the tower, the sky was beautiful. Orange mixed with pink, a warm glow resting onto the Glade.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Newt breathed out. We sat down a few feet away from each other and watched the sky.

"How come you were awake?" I lowered my voice so not the whole Glade would wake up. "And why were you close to me and Chuck?"

Newt's cheeks turned pink. "Oh, I was- uh, I was keeping watch." He scratched the back of his head.

"Keeping watch? On what?" I chuckled under my breath.

"On.. you?" Newt nervously said, making it sound like a question. I raised my eyebrows to let Newt know I needed more information. "Well, I don't know.. maybe Dave would try to escape the Pit or something? And I don't think Chuck can fight him."

"So you stayed awake the whole night to keep watch on me?" My cheeks turned light red too. Newt shrugged and looked down.
"You didn't have to do that, but thank you, Blondie."

Newt gave me a small smile. Hesitantly I scooted closer to Newt, who stared straight forward with his eyes wide open. We were both silent, probably lost in our own thoughts. I was thinking about Newt. The way he treated me, his kindness, and his protectiveness.

"Do you want your clothes back?" I asked out of a sudden.

"Oh, you can keep them for a while. You still have to wait for the Box to send up your own clothes." Newt simply replied.

"But I have Minho's clothes too. I can give yours back and keep wearing his. Otherwise, I'll have a little too much, and then you don't have anything." I explained.

Newt tensed up and clenched his jaw. "I don't mind if you wear my clothes. I have too much anyways. Minho doesn't, so instead just wear mine instead of his."

"That-."

I got interrupted by a loud alarm, echoing through the Glade.

"It's the Box." Newt realized.

It worked! They send my clothes and other stuff up earlier. Now I don't have to argue with Minho and Newt about them!

"Come on." Newt started climbing down the ladder, and I followed. "I don't get why it's coming up," Newt mumbled as we walked toward the Box.