45 - Choosing

Minho wasn't there at breakfast, so I assumed he already left for the maze. I was angry. Angry at him for ripping the note, but somehow also found felt fluttered by his jealousy. How crazy!

I ran through the maze fast, hoping the anger would get out. The adrenaline I had was going crazy, and I was nervous about seeing Minho again. I knew I would get angry. I was planning to yell at him, but it still made me nervous.

When finally, I got out of the maze and rushed into the Map Room, hoping to get my job done as fast as possible, it appeared that someone else was already there. Minho.

He looked up from the table, eyes less cold than the other days, but also not sweet. The anger rose in me by just seeing his handsome face. "You... you-." I didn't know what to say, so just stammered.

"Lost your words by seeing this face?" Minho raised his eyebrows.

That was it for me. "You stupid shuck-faced Mean Hoe! How dare you even rip that note apart? It was written for me, so you weren't even allowed in the first place!" Immediately I raised my voice, already yelling in just a few seconds.

"Is it so hard for you to just answer normally when I ask you about three times what was on the note? You made Newt upset too!" I yelled, throwing my hands in the air.

Minho stared at the ground, not daring to make eye contact. In the meanwhile, he fidgeted with his fingers nervously. I had an impact on him.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you, shuck face!" I ordered. Minho looked up, face full of surprise and even getting a red color.

"You're lame to not just tell me what was on the note right in my face! Do I really need Chuck to tell me that?" I stepped closer to Minho, ready to confront him about the way he had been acting. "And stop acting so mean and cold! I'm trying to be nice and sometimes you are too, but then you just get upset about some shucking thing again!"

More anger boiled in me as I looked up so I could make eye contact with Minho. He was a bit taller, after all.

"So just explain what you're doing and why for once, because I'm getting sick of it!" I moved even closer, until Minho's back almost hit the wall. He stared at me. His eyes were wide, looking wild, but also twinkling. One corner of his mouth was slightly up, causing a smirk to form on his face.

At that point, I hated him for a second. "Get that stupid smirk off your face and-."

I got interrupted.

OH MY-

In a split second, I was pushed against the wall by Minho, his hands on my waist. Not in a mean or threatening way like Gally once did, but also not very gently.

We were both silent, looking each other in the eyes before Minho's went down to my lips. Then I felt him connect his lips with mine. My eyes opened wide at the sudden touch, but when I realized I was kissing Minho, I kissed back.

Minho was definitely rougher than Newt. The way he held my waist with one hand and the other one cupped my face, how he kissed me hard, but somehow also sweet.. it was hypnotizing and I soon felt myself responding even more by leaning my arms on Minho's shoulders.

Our lips never left each other when Minho pulled us even closer together. My heart pounded in my chest by being so close to Minho and even kissing him.

Then he slowly let go. My eyes fluttered open, staring right into Minho's, which by now were soft again. He inspected my face, eyes going up and down as I caught my breath. Minho's hot breath on my face made me shiver, in a good way.

"What were you about to say?" Minho lowered his voice, eyes twinkling.

I scoffed. "You still had no right to rip the note apart."

"I know," Minho admitted, our faces still inches away from each other. My cheeks heat up more by the second when I felt Minho's grip on my waist tightened.

"Then why did you?" I breathed out.

Minho hesitated, but then answered in full confidence. "I was jealous." He made a long pause. "You kissed him too, didn't you?"

A bit taken aback, I nodded.

Minho let go of my waist and took a few steps back. "Then why the hell would you kiss me back?" He licked his lips in frustration, one of his hands going through his hair. "Just go for Newt then! I knew.. I knew.." He trailed off, but quickly grabbed himself together again. "I bet you imagined me as him! He's better anyways!"

I walked closer to Minho, feeling pity for him. I never imagined him as Newt.. and Newt was also not better than him. They were equal, simple as it is.

Minho leaned against the table with his arms just to walk around in the hut again a few seconds after.

"Minho.." I started.

"I know you like Newt better than me! You don't even like me! Why would you? I'm a guy who can't even solve a shuck maze and can't say a thing without being sarcastic! You don't care!"

I stopped closer to Minho. "I do care."

His mask slipped for a second, and even some tears in his eyes. He closed them for a second but then turned normal again. "You only say that because.. because.." Minho tried to think of something, but he couldn't.

"I care about you." I lowered my voice, hoping it would get through to him.

Minho's face softened at the realization. "But you also care about Newt."

I nodded, slowly. "That's right."

"Choose him," Minho ordered, rubbing his nose as he still walked around the room, away from me. "He's better."

Stunned I stared at Minho. Normally he would never say that. "That's not true, Minho." I almost whispered.

He gave me a look, as if he said he didn't believe me. I decided to raise my voice too. Maybe it had an impact or would help Minho realize he wasn't worth any less than Newt.

"You're just as good as Newt. Nothing less, okay?"

"Newt is the shucking Second-in-command!" Minho yelled back.

"And you're the Keeper of the Runners, maybe one of the most important job in here!"

Minho hesitantly bit his lip, not yelling anymore. "So you do care?"

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to shucking tell you!

"I care about you both," I said. "But-."

I cut myself off when the world suddenly started to spin. I had to grab the table, trying not to fall, but all my strength was gone.

"Jane?" Minho's voice echoed in my mind like it was from a far distance.

I held up my finger, ready to say something, but my mouth shut closed. Then the black dots started to appear in my vision. Was I fainting again?

Minho's figure walked closer to me, but the last thing I felt was myself give up and drop.