41 - Interrupted

Jane's POV

"Come on!" Chuck whisper-screamed in excitement when we arrived in the showers. "Look! Winston gave me some."

He motioned at a bucket with something stinky in it. A yellow-brownish liquid was in there. Animal poop or piss, to change with Newt's shampoo.

"This is gonna be awesome!" Chuck rushed into a shower cabin and grabbed a bottle of shampoo.
"I think this is his." He motioned at the word vanilla on it, causing me to chuckle. Poor Newt.

"How are we gonna put it in?" I asked.

"Pouring." Chuck decided as he opened the bottle. I agreed, so we carefully started pouring the disgusting liquid into Newt's shampoo bottle, mixing it together.

"Ew! It got on my hand!" Chuck screamed, which I laughed about.

"I think it's full," I announced after a while. Chuck grinned deeply, very proud of his work.

"He ain't gonna like that!" He said, laughing loudly again.

"Now go give this back to Winston or whatever you want to do with it. I'm going to the woods, okay?" I looked at Chuck, who just nodded, face bright red with excitement.
"Bye!"

"Bye, Janey!" Chuck waved as I walked toward the woods, already enjoying the peace of a day off.

Once I arrived by the pond, I lay down on the ground and watched the sky. It was just plain blue, no clouds, no rain.. peaceful. I let out the thoughts and frustrations from the previous days by just relaxing.

My thoughts drifted off so far, that I didn't even notice someone walking up from behind me, until they talked. "Hey."

I shot straight up, stomach making jumps because of the sudden shock. "I told you not to jump me, Newt," I grumbled, getting a little pissed since it was like the third time he sneaked up on me.

"Sorry." Newt quickly apologized as I lay back down. "Watcha doing?"

"Nothing really. Just thinking." I sighed.

"About anything special?" Newt lay down next to me.

"Nope." I popped the p. "Don't you need to work?" I turned my head to look at Newt, who lay about two feet next to me.

His cheeks turned red. "Not at the moment. Just.. in a bit." He mumbled. "You're lucky you have a day off."

"I guess I am. What do you do on your days off?" I asked out of interest, and because I liked talking to Newt, wanting it to last longer.

"I don't have days off," Newt replied, emotionless.

"Never?" I gasped quietly at the thought of having to work three years every day with no breaks in between.

"I'm the Second-in-command. Can't just stop doing my job." Newt explained. "But I don't have to work every three seconds of the day. Just help everywhere, so it's not boring."

"Mhm." I nodded and after hesitating for a few seconds, I scooted closer to Newt as I turned my head to look at the sky instead of his face.

We were both silent for a few seconds.
"So how are the abrasions doing?" Newt awkwardly asked.

"I think they're fine." I smiled lightly, cheeks turned red.

Newt chuckled a bit and moved his hand toward mine, grabbing it and intertwining our fingers. "Are you okay with this?" He almost whispered.

"Yes." I blushed deeply, feeling the sparks coming off our hands, and my heartbeat speeding up.

My mind was spinning, how could Newt have so much impact on me? I was scared my hands would get sweaty and he was going to notice, or that he could hear my unsteady heartbeats that pounded in my chest.

After a while, Newt sat straight up, though he never let go of my hand. Surprised, and hoping I didn't do anything that upset him, I sat up too. Waiting for him to say something, I stared at him, still shaken up by his sudden movement.

"Jane," Newt started, moving even closer to me and softly squeezing my hand.

"Yes?" I breathed out, so quiet because of my nervousness, Newt could barely hear it.

He swallowed and moved one of his hands to my face, gently moving a strand of my hair behind my ear. I blushed deeply but never stopped making eye contact. Newt's eyes were soft, also looking at mine, then he talked, just a whisper.

"May I kiss you?"

HOLY SHUCK-

I blushed even deeper and gave Newt a small nod, prepared for what was going to happen. Slowly he leaned in, cupping my face. Then his lips connected with mine.

For a second I was taken aback, eyes wide, but then I relaxed and closed them, kissing Newt's soft lips back. My hand made its way to Newt's shoulder while he still held my other one. The kiss was slow.. passionate, but awesome. I loved it.

My heart was beating rapidly, but I felt relaxed.. safe. It was perfect. Newt was still so gentle, asked for shucking permission, but still managed to make me shocked.

Later we let go of each other again. I opened my eyes, blinking a few times with my mouth slightly open.

Newt's face was bright red and his breaths even a bit heavy. "Was that okay?" He quietly asked.

I nodded without hesitation. "Yes."

A small smile grew on Newt's face, then he tensed up a bit. "Jane, I-."

He got interrupted by someone screaming loudly. "JANE, I'M GONNA DIE!"

Chuck appeared, running toward us at full speed. "Gally is behind me! I can't outrun him!" He hysterically yelled.

I chuckled lightly, but wondered what Newt meant to say. Newt stared at Chuck in disbelief, probably offended he ruined our moment.

Chuck stopped right in his tracks. Glanced at me, Newt, and back at me. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No."

"Of course not."

"Nothing at all."

"We're not lying."

"That's right."

"You didn't interrupt anything."

"Not a possibility of."

Chuck sighed and gave us another look. "Okay. But we better go before Gally gets here!"

Newt and I quickly got up from our seats, my cheeks still red. God, it was amazing!

Newt scratched the back of his head. "I'm gonna..." He trailed off. "I'm gonna take a shower."

Chuck giggled loudly and soon I followed, trying to cover my laughs with my hand.

"Don't forget to shampoo!" Chuck added before Newt limped away, running a hand through his hair.

With my mouth still a little open and dozens of butterflies in my stomach, I turned to Chuck and grabbed his shoulders, jumping up and down like crazy.

"I shuckin' kissed him, Chuck! I kissed Newt!"

Chuck furrowed his eyebrows, mouth twitching. "That's too much information, Janey." He stared at me in disgust. "But that means I did interrupt something!"

"I kissed him!" I repeated, cheerful as never. "I kissed Newt!"

Chuck sighed lightly. "I think you made that clear."

"I-."

"I know you kissed Newt, for klunk's sake!"