12 - Apology

A/N: I decided that the chapters will be longer than before!

~

Impatiently I waited outside the Gathering Hut, needing to know my job. I helped Chuck with the dishes, but it wasn't enough distraction to think about something else than being a Runner.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, a few boys walked out of the hut. They all gave me a nod as they got past me. Alby or Newt didn't appear. Just when all the other Keepers were gone and I wanted to walk into the Hut, I heard voices.

"This is ridiculous!" Someone who sounded like Newt said in frustration.

"Just give her a chance! Jeez!" Minho replied. Did I turn into a Runner? I immediately wondered.

"Minho is right, Newt." Alby's deeper voice spoke. "Just give her the training and see what she got. Otherwise, she'll be something else. Simple as it is."

My heart started beating faster. Did that mean I got to try out for a Runner?

"If she gets hurt, I blame you two until you die." Newt coldly said.

"No need to be so threatening, loverboy." Minho sighed. "Go get her."

When Newt walked out of the hut, I pretend that I didn't hear anything of their conversation. "We decided," Newt said, leading me into the Gathering Hut.
"Minho will give you the Runner training and see if you will be able to do it, if not, then you'll turn into something else."

"Yes!" I cheerfully said, hugging Newt who stood in front of me. I was so happy to turn into a Runner I didn't even realize what I was doing. Minho chuckled as Alby mumbled something.

My eyes opened wide when I realized I was clenching around Newt. I let out a cough and let go of the boy, who didn't move an inch. "Sorry." I quickly apologized, rubbing my neck.

"As Newt said, Minho will give you the training soon," Alby stated. Newt still stood in his place. "Good night." Alby hinted. "Newt!" He whisper-yelled. The leader grabbed Newt's arm and pulled him out of the Gathering Hut, leaving me and Minho all alone. Fantastic.

We stood there awkwardly. It would be lame to walk away, but I wasn't going to talk first either.

"So.." Minho started as he leaned against the wall. I looked at the ground, not daring to make eye contact. "I'm sorry about what I did, Jane."

Not Shebean? He must be serious. Do I forgive him?

"I'm not." I blurted out. We were silent again, probably busy in our own minds.

"So do you forgive me?" Minho carefully asked after a bit. He crossed his arms over each other and waited for me to respond.

Finally, I looked him in the eyes from a distance. "No. I don't forgive you." I decided. "But I'll just have to live with it."
I wasn't going to forgive Minho for his actions that easily.

An annoying smile grew on Minho's face.

"But get that smile off your face or I'll smack it right off." I threatened as I started walking out of the Hut. "And don't think we're friends yet!"

Something about the way Minho communicated, was strange. First, he acts stupid, then nice, then stupid, and it keeps repeating. He didn't seem like the bad guy in the Glade, but he sure was a lot different than Newt. Though I didn't trust either of them. Just Chuck. Of course, Newt was nice and caring to me, but that still didn't give me a reason to fully trust him in five days. Chuck was the only innocent kid I could trust.