38 - Bruised, Burned, and Barked

"Jane?" Chuck whispered once we lay in our bed, heads facing each other. A faint candle lit up the room, making it possible for me to see Chuck's face.

"Yes, Chuckie?" I asked, kind of suspiciously since Chuck had a small grin on his face.

"Did you lie when you talked about having a crush?" He wondered.

My cheeks turned red and a feeling formed in my stomach. Nervousness? Or what was it?
"Are we gonna discuss this right now?"

"Do you love Newt?" Chuck asked.

Well, that was fast.
"I don't love anyone."

"Do you like Newt?" Chuck corrected himself, still whispering, which I appreciated him for. You never know what kind of creeps are listening to you.

"Not just Newt, Chuck." I sighed and literally revealed one of the secrets I had been keeping from everyone.

"Minho too?" The kid innocently asked, but I could see right through him. He knew exactly what he was talking about.

"How do you know?" I chuckled at Chuck's attention.

"I see the way you talk with them, smile when they're around, how you look at them, get excited.." Chuck explained. "So you like both of them?"

"I guess I do. But not love." I mumbled.

"Why not love them?"

I thought about my memories. Loving Newt would be hard for me, especially since the things they wanted me to do to him. I couldn't love Minho that easily either. It would be mean to just leave Newt behind, and Minho and I really had to grow a bit closer to him to love him. I liked him, but still never forgot the things we said to each other or the way we acted in the beginning. Love was strong and oblivious, not something I could just easily do.

"I'm in love with them, but don't love them yet. Just like them."

"That is confusing." Chuck sighed. "Who would you choose?"

"Now that's the problem," I muttered. "I can't."

Chuck's attentive listening and talking surprised me. And to be honest, it was nice.

"So you love neither of them, but you're in love with them, and like them, but can't choose?" Chuck repeated.

I laughed at the crazy thought. "Basically."

"You don't love anyone?"

"I love you." I blurted out. If I had to be honest, I did really love Chuck. He was like a little brother to me. And only seeing the smile that grew on Chuck's face, made me melt.

"Because we're best friends," Chuck assured, eyes twinkling, making me smile brightly too.

"Because we're best friends," I said in satisfaction.

"I love you too. Only you, not Garlic, Frying Pan, Mean Hoe, Lizard, or Zart The Fart. Only you, because you're my best friend!" Chuck cheerfully said.

I gave Chuck another warm smile before we both turned quiet again.

"Do you think we'll get out of here?" Chuck whispered after a bit, his tone sadder than before.

"I bet you will." I nodded.

"Me? What about you?" Chuck pouted. "I don't want to get out of here without you."

I sighed lightly. "Whatever happens, we'll stay together, okay?"

Chuck nodded and took a breath. "Jane, promise we will stay together."