30 - Hidden Talent

Minho and I ran back as fast as we could, even though the Griever wasn't behind us anymore. We just didn't feel like meeting another one and after what happened in that small space, I needed some distraction. I don't know what was happening, but we were definitely close to kissing, right? Or did Minho not mean to do any of that? Though I liked it, it was quite overwhelming.

Once we stood in the Glade, I let myself drop onto the ground, breathing heavily and chest stinging from all the running I did.

"Jane!" Chuck ran over to us. "Help, Gally is going to kill me for making his boxers pink! He's been following me the whole shuck day!"

"Then-." I gasped for air. "You should've-." My chest moved up and down faster. "Been more.. careful." I managed to say.

"She's-." Minho also gasped for air, also lying on the grass. "Right."

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" Chuck crossed his arms.

"You try running as fast as you can for three hours!" Minho yelled out in frustration.

"I can't even do five minutes." Chuck mumbled, but then turned cheerful again. "Look at that!"

Newt limped over to us, shirt bright pink. He gave Chuck a dirty glance before turning to us. "Did anything happen in the maze?"

"We saw.." Minho breathed.

"A Griever." I finished his sentence.

Newt sighed and rubbed his chin. "Anything special about that Griever of yours?"

It almost made us kiss, if that counts.. I smiled at my thought. If it was a kiss, at least.

"What's so funny?" Chuck suspiciously asked, hearing me chuckle.

"Nothing." I quickly replied. "We just didn't want to die, so that's why we're out of breath."

Newt held his hand in front of my face. I gladly took it, sending shocks of electricity through my body, as Newt pulled me up.

How can he be so strong? Look at those veins! And biceps! Though Minho looks very fit too..

"Don't I get a little help?" Minho wondered, offended because Newt only helped me, which made me feel kind of fluttered. Chuck walked over to Minho and held out his hand, but Minho didn't take it. "If you try to lift me up, then you'll fall too, Chuckie."

"Mean." Chuck pulled his hand away as Minho got up by himself. "Y'all ready for dinner? Frypan made steak!"

"Frypan can't make steak. He can only bake it." Minho corrected. "Unless he-."

"Shut it, Mean Hoe." Chuck interrupted, acting a lot tougher than I knew he actually was.

I thought about getting dinner, but it meant I would have to go through the same cycle with Minho and Newt again, most likely ending up in a fight.. though I did almost kiss with Minho, right? "I'm gonna go to the woods for a second."

Minho gave me a worried glance. "Alone?"

"Yes, alone." I motioned at the three knifes in my waistband. "I can protect myself." I chuckled.

"Don't worry! I also taped a sign that perverts weren't allowed in the woods." Chuck announced. I giggled lightly and soon Newt and Minho joined me, laughing a little too loud and obvious. I frowned at their reaction, but didn't say anything about it and walked off to the woods.

Soon I arrived at the beautiful pond I saw earlier. It was relaxing. A few birds chirped and I could still smell the food from the kitchen. After sitting next to the lake for a whole, locked up in my thoughts, I needed something relieving.

I grabbed the three knives out of my pocket and walked over to a tree. My grip on one knife tightened before I threw it toward the tree. It landed right into the middle of the wood. I smiled at my victory and threw the two other knives, which also perfectly landed in the tree.

I tried more times, taking a further distance each time. Somehow the throwing and hitting the tree was relieving, and to be honest, I was good at it. Just after I pulled all the knives out of the wood again, a voice made me flinch.

"Gettin' quite good at that, huh?"

I spun around and out of reaction, threw my knife toward the person. It landed right in the apple the person held in his hand. I gasped loudly and noticed it was Newt. His mouth fell open as he stared at the sliced apple in his hand.

"Sorry." I nervously said and walked closer to Newt.

His eyes were still wide open. "I better watch out on jumping you."

I chuckled a bit. "You better." Carefully I took the knife out of the apple and turned to the trees again.

"What are you doing?" Newt asked in the mean while.

"Throwing knives." I simply replied before throwing another one. It landed right in a very thin tree.

"Wow." Newt scoffed at my reply. "Why are you doing that?" He corrected.

"It's relieving and fun." I paused. "And I want to learn how to defend myself from creeps that suddenly appear behind me." I turned around. "So what are you doing here?"

Newt's cheeks turned red. "Just checkin' up." He scratched the back of his head.

I smiled and continued doing my thing, but Newt didn't leave yet. Instead, he walked closer to me, making my hands sweaty. I almost missed a tree when I felt his hot breathing on my neck.

"Can you teach me?" Newt lowered his voice.

"Why would you want to learn this? It's useless." I shrugged.

"You could throw it at Grievers." Newt explained. "You know, get his eye out or somethin'."

"Maybe. But I'm not a professional or teacher, so I don't know why I would teach you."

"If we ever found a way out, then I would have to go into the maze too. Would be nice if I could fight a bit, don't you think?" Newt wondered out loud.

I hummed. "Sure." I handed Newt a knife. "Try it, Blondie."

He took a breath and threw the knife, but he let go of it too early, making it go backward instead of forward. "Uhh.." Newt awkwardly scratched the back of his head again.

"Just need some practice." I picked the knife up.

Newt got in the right position to throw again, but his hand was the wrong way, making me shrink.

"Try throwing it from above." I suggested.

Newt raised his hand in the air. "Like this?"

I mentally palmed my face. "No.." I walked closer to Newt, so I stood behind him, and took his wrist, my heart pounding in my chest. Carefully I put it in the correct way. "Like this."

Newt slowly nodded, face bright red. Then he threw the knife. Let's just say.. it was better than before. It landed a few feet in front of the tree.

"I think I don't have that hidden talent of yours." Newt handed me the knives back again. "But thanks for trying to teach."

When a warm feeling formed in my stomach, I blushed.

Am I seriously falling for Newt now too? Two guys? I can't fall for two guys! And we're in a shuck maze!

"Should we get dinner?" Newt questioned.

"I'm not hungry." I just wanted to continue throwing knives and get better at it, to be honest, but the sounds my stomach made ruined it.

"Oh, yes you are. Come on, you're gonna eat." Newt grabbed my arm.

With a small smile on my face, we got our food. Steak, of course. Minho gave the two of us a glance when we sat down. Nervous that something would happen, I started eating.