11 - Statements

It surprised me how fast I got used to the Glade. Of course, it was strange and a bit scary, but I already turned very good friends with Chuck and Newt in just five days. Most of the boys were nice to me, which made me feel safer already. Especially Newt took good care of me after everything that happened.

"Jane," Newt whispered, shaking my body lightly. I groaned and opened my eyes, immediately meeting his brown ones. "If you want to be a Runner, you gotta wake up this early every morning, so better get used to it now."

Once Newt mentioned Runner, I shot straight up. "Get used to it? Does that mean I get to be one?" I looked at Newt with wide eyes.

He chuckled under his breath as he moved a hand through his messy hair. I had to say, for someone who just woke up, he looked very handso- normal. "You didn't seem very good at building, you can't be a Med-Jack, you-."

"Wait." I interrupted. "Why can't I be a Med-Jack?"
Of course, I didn't want to be a Med-Jack, but I didn't get why I couldn't be one.

"They didn't tell you?" Newt mumbled. "They told me the guys were hurtin' themselves on purpose just so you could treat 'em." He explained.

I cleared my throat. "Uhm- alright." I tried to recover quickly from the sudden explanation.

"Cook could be an option," Newt started again. "And Track-Hoe too."

I sighed, realizing I would most likely become one of those too. I had to think of something so I didn't have to be a Cook or Track-Hoe.

"I talk too much, which means I distract you and Frypan from working."

Newt raised his eyebrows. "You really have to come with somethin' better than that."

"If I would be a Cook, I would put poison in Minho's food," I added. "And when I'm a Track-Hoe, I have to bend down all the time, which is very showing."

All of the things I said were thoughts that just popped up in my mind. Excuses so I turned into a Runner.

"That's fair." Newt slowly nodded. "Guess you'll be a Slopper then."

"What's a Slopper?" I wondered. A grin formed on Newt's face.

"Those are the people who do the dirty jobs. The things no one else wants to do. If you're not good at any of the other jobs, you turn into a Slopper." Newt explained.

"But I'm good at running! Didn't you see it yesterday? I can be a Runner." I argued, not satisfied yet.

"Yeah, I'm sure running through a field is much more tiring than a giant maze, right?" Newt lowered his voice as the corner of his lips move up.

"Chuck couldn't do it." I defended. "And I bet you can't either." I blurted out, thinking about his leg.

Immediately the smile on Newt's face wiped away. His face grew dark, his eyes full of sadness and horror.

Oh, shit. I shouldn't have said that. Now I hurt his feelings! But why does he react like this? What hurts him so much? I really shucked this up.

"Sorry." I quickly apologized, genuinely sorry.

Newt took a breath and forced a smile, which I noticed was definitely fake. "It's okay." He got up from his bed normally, but he acted off.

~

"Jane, I think you should make it up with Minho." Chuck confronted me at breakfast. "And I think you should stop sleeping with Newt and just go sleep next to me again. I'm lonely!"

"I will sleep next to you again, Chuck. This was just for once." I quickly said as we walked away from the kitchen to sit down somewhere.

"Twice." Chuck corrected. "Why are you up so early anyways?"

"Why are you?" I wondered. Chuck seemed like someone who slept in all the time.

"Cause I wanted to see Minho before he left for the maze." Chuck shrugged. "And there he is."

"Oh, god," I mumbled, keeping my head down, not daring to make eye contact with Minho, who walked a few feet away from us. I noticed his cheek was a bit blue, hopefully from my slap. A grin almost appeared on my face.

"Chuck, no, no, no." I whisper-yelled when the kid grabbed my arm and pushed me toward the Runner.

I gave Minho a quick glance without saying anything as my face turned red. Then I turned around and walked away again. Lame, but I wasn't going to be the one to apologize.

"Why didn't you talk?!" Chuck asked, offended. "I just did you a favor! Give me some credit, jeez."

"I'm not talking to that Mean Hoe." I snapped back. Chuck sighed and sat down at a table, me sitting across from him. "And where's Newt?"

"Caring for your boyfriend?" Chuck blurted out.

"Chuck!" I messed his hair up with my hand. "Newt is not my boyfriend."

"Seems like it." Chuck simply replied as he fixed his hair. His cheeks turned slightly red, but he enjoyed it.

"We're just friends," I assured, meaning it. Newt and I were just friends.

"Friends don't sleep next to each other," Chuck said.

"Chuck." I sighed. "We sleep next to each other." I mentally palmed my face.

"It's different for us," Chuck stated. "And besides, there are multiple reasons. First of all, we have at least a three years ago gap. So that would be weird. I'm not into anyone, so that's another reason. And we don't cuddle when we sleep."

Frowning I stared at Chuck. Where the hell does he get all these statements from? Do they just pop up in his mind? "What do you mean cuddle? Newt and I certainly do not cuddle."

"I bet you did," Chuck said before stuffing his mouth full of bacon. He had a point. We indeed did cuddle once, but only because I needed some comfort. That was it.

"If we're gonna keep talking about this, then I'll leave," I ordered. Chuck didn't have to know about everything.

"Okay." Chuck's eyes lit up. "But you don't have anywhere else to go, so threatening ain't gonna help anyways. But alright."

I raised my eyebrows. "Who said I wouldn't join Garlic?"

"You would trade me for Garlic?" Chuck yelled out. "I'm a lot more fun than him."

"I know." I chuckled lightly. Only thinking about spending my day with Gally again, made me bored. "Hey, Chuck. What am I going to do today? I don't have any jobs left to try."

Chuck looked up, cheeks chubby from all the food that almost fell out of his mouth. "There will be a gathering about your job, so in the meanwhile you could either just walk around, or even better, help me with the dishes!"