14 - The Pit

"Holy shucking mother of god, Jane!" Chuck screamed once he saw me. "That was insane!"

"I'm getting a punishment." I pouted, ignoring Chuck's happiness. I didn't find any of what just happened funny.

"It's your own fault." Chuck blurted out.

"I know, Chuck," I replied as we sat down against a tree. "But still. I've been here a week!"

"What's a dingleberry?" Chuck innocently asked.

"I'm not answering that."

"There is Newt!" Chuck pointed out, not even arguing about me not explaining something. "He looks quite pissed."

Chuck was right. Newt madly walked over to Alby and started talking to him. Minho was nowhere to be seen and to be honest, I didn't even care.

"Maybe they banish you," Chuck said.

"And that is?"

Chuck sighed as his face turned paler. Not good, I immediately realized.
"It's when they put you in the maze right before the doors close. You're trapped, left to death, food for the Grievers. Whatever you want to call it." A shiver went down my spine and Chuck seemed shaky too. "But I've never experienced it and I'd rather not have you, my best friend, be banished."

I smiled when he called me his best friend.

"Maybe Newt will convince Alby to just not punish you." Chuck sighed. "Oh, there he comes." The kid straightened his back.

And indeed, Newt walked over to us, still mad. "Bloody hell, Jane! That was not necessary!" He sternly said. "Alby and I decided your punishment."

"Why didn't you have a gathering?" Chuck wondered.

"Because we don't have the bloody time for something idiotic like this." Newt gave the kid a quick glance, almost a dirty one. "You'll have to spend one night in the Pit."

"Pit?"

"It's sort of a cage in the ground," Chuck explained very fast after I asked. "Cold, dark, spooky, creepy, scary-"

"We get it, Chuck." Newt snapped before turning to me again. "You'll have some company."

"Company?"

"The shank himself will be there too. Same Pit. Same night."

"What?" I raised my voice at Newt. "You can't do that! I just got in a fight with him! How do you know we won't end up in one again?"

Chuck gasped loudly and clapped his hand in excitement, but another look from Newt made him stop.

"Alby's decision. He wants y'all to make it up. He's talking to Minho right now." Newt paused. "Now walk with me."

"Come on, Newt!" I didn't move from my seat. I was not going to spend a night with an idiot like Minho.

"Get up," Newt ordered. "I don't feel like dragging you."

"Then don't." I crossed my arms over each other, acting tougher than I actually was.

Newt got more irritated by the second. "Get off your bloody seat and follow me, Jane." He calmly said though I heard the anger in his voice.

"Alright, alright, Blondie," I mumbled as I finally got up. Ending up in a fight with Newt too, didn't seem like the best idea. Newt started limping away. Quickly I followed him.

Should I ask him about his limp? He never says anything about it, so maybe I shouldn't. Not in this situation. I'll ask later.

"Get in." Newt and I stood behind the Homestead. He opened a bamboo-made fence that lead into a dark... cage. I did as he told me to, sighing loudly, and got in.
"Alby will be here in a second." Newt closed the door. "Behave yourself."