3 - Bonfire

Newt forced me to sit next to him, which I gladly agreed to. At least someone wanted to talk to me voluntarily. I decided I liked Chuck too. He was a funny kid. Minho, I wasn't so sure about that. He hated me for kicking him and after he pushed me, I kind of hated him too.

"So we're trapped here?" I asked Newt. We leaned our backs against a tree trunk and watched the bonfire in front of us. It was nice. Some boys were dancing or making music and others were talking.

"For the moment," Newt replied.

"How long have you been here?"

"Three years."

Shocked I stared at Newt. He had been here three years? That long? Was I going to get old in this hellhole?
"How do we get out?" I asked as Newt took a sip of a weird-looking liquid, which was in a jar.

"Through the maze," Newt explained. "We-."

"Hold on. Maze?" I repeated. No one mentioned something about a maze.

"They didn't tell you?" Newt muttered. "It's there." He motioned at the closed gap I looked at earlier. "The only way out."

"Can I go in there?" I asked out of curiosity. It seemed pretty cool to me. What could go wrong in the maze? You could get trapped, but that wouldn't be such a problem.

"I don't think you want that, Greenie." Newt chuckled. "Here." He handed me one of the jars. "Try it."

"What is it?" I question, inspecting the drink.

"Gally's recipe." Newt turned his head and pointed at someone. It was two boys fighting each other in a ring. "Gally wears the brown shirt," Newt added. I nodded and watched the boy, Gally, fight. He had very short buzzed hair and seemed quite strong. The boy kicked the poor other boy multiple times until someone shouted Gally won.

"It's a trade secret." Newt turned around again. "I don't know what is in it, but sure a lot of alcohol. Now try it."

I took a big sip of the drink. It tasted bitter and left a burning feeling in my throat, but it tasted quite good too. "Do people go in the maze?" I asked.

Newt stared at me confused. "How did you not vomit by drinking that? It's your first time!"

"It's not that bad. Girls aren't as weak as you think they are." I commented with a chuckle, making it obvious I was joking. Newt wanted to argue, but I stopped him. "Do people go in the maze?" I repeated.

"A few. The Runners."
I realized Chuck had mentioned that job.
"They wake up early every morning and go in there. Explore and search for a way out."

"And they haven't found one in three years?" I wondered. How hard could it be?

"It's not as easy as it sounds," Newt replied, seeming a bit offended. "You hear that?" He held up a finger. My eyebrows furrowed as I listened. I heard some noises, like stone moving over stone.

"It's the maze. Changing." Newt explained. "It changes every night." He sighed and turned his head. "Over there." He pointed at a certain group of boys. "Those are the Runners. Minho is the Keeper."

I almost gasped. Minho? Was he the Keeper of the Runners? "I don't like him." I blurted out.

"Just get to know him better. The slinthead is nice, just a bit sassy." Newt chuckled.

"Why can only Runners go in the maze?" I wondered. Now I had the chance to ask all my questions to Newt, who answered them amazingly.

"Because it's dangerous." Newt simply said.

"Why-."

"There are other things in there." Newt paused. "We call 'em Grievers. Weird creatures. No one has ever seen one and lived to tell about it. They always come out at night."