27 - Banishment

A few minutes before the Doors would close, Chuck and I got outside to watch, though I knew I wouldn't enjoy the banishing. No matter who would be banished.

Chuck grabbed my hand as we watched Minho appear, holding a bad-looking Dave by the wrists. Dave had a black eye, his hair was messy, and his walks were sloppy. Newt and the other Keepers stood in front of the almost-closing Doors, all of them holding poles in their hands.

The horror happened right in front of me. Minho untied the ropes on Dave's wrists and let him fall onto the ground. Dave mumbled some stuff, seeming mad. His veins and eyes were blacker them ever, slightly scaring me.

A small breeze blew in my face, letting me know the Doors were about to close. "Poles!" Alby ordered. Every boy pointed their pole at Dave, who could only stumble closer to the maze.

He screamed and mumbled some stuff, cries escaping his mouth. My face paled at the horrible sight. Minho watched Dave with a blank expression on his face, though his jaw clenched. Newt's eyebrows were scrunched and he didn't hesitate to keep pushing Dave in.

"Come on, Jane." Chuck pulled my arm once the tall walls started to move closer to each other. My eyes opened wide by seeing Dave disappear behind the walls with a last few whimpers. Then the Doors closed with a boom.

In terror, I kept staring at the Doors, shocked about what happened. How could someone be so cruel to send us up here? I wondered. And how come no Glader shows any emotions?

I didn't realize how long I stood still, but after a while, Newt limped over to us. "Hey. You okay, love?"

"She's a little pale." Chuck frowned.

I cleared my throat. "I'm fine. Just a bit shocked." I quickly said. The two boys nodded as Chuck pulled me toward the kitchen. Frypan gave me a soft smile and handed me a plate of spaghetti. The lump in my throat made it hard for me to thank him, so I just didn't. Then Chuck also dragged me to our table, forcing me to sit down.

"Go eat, love," Newt ordered once he saw me pricking my food with a fork. A warm feeling flowed through my body when he called me love, but I still didn't overcome my shock. Slowly I started taking bites of my food, which tasted pretty good.

"Do you like your hut?" Newt asked as Minho sat down. I gave the Runner a quick glance before turning to Newt again, heart beating faster.

"Yeah, it looks really good." I forced a smile that wasn't completely fake. "They did a great job."

"So no more cuddling with anyone right now?" Minho raised his voice out of a sudden.

"Just Chuck who lies next to me, but we're not going to cuddle." I simply replied, trying to hide the unsure tone in my voice.

"Are you going to keep switching between places? Wear my clothes, then Newt's, sleep in my hut, then sleep in his again?" Minho snapped.

Here we go again.

I shrugged and looked down, really not in the mood to fight again. I was already upset, Minho saying all this stuff only made things worse.

The boy sighed and roughly got from the table, stomping away. With my head still down, I kept thinking about everything again, and then thought about how lame I was to act like this out of a sudden. I was the only girl, so I wasn't supposed to make myself a victim.

One tear dropped onto my jeans, which Chuck noticed right away. "Sorry." I sniffed, trying to blink the tears away. "It's just the banishing, and Minho.. just everything."

Neither Chuck or Newt replied. Instead, Newt got up from his seat and kneeled down a bit. Hesitantly he embraced me with a hug, making me surprised. Eventually, I felt better with Newt's protection and even closed my eyes at the comfort.

"Sorry." I apologized again.

"It's okay," Newt whispered before letting go. "It's okay to cry." He quietly added.

I smiled lightly through my tears and focused on my food again. "Thanks."

~

A/N: Who would you choose out of all Maze Runner boys?