68 - Plan

I woke up to some blurred voices, the daylight shining in my heavy eyelids. I winced, feeling the ache in my whole body.

"You gave us a pretty good show, Shebean." The familiar voice talked.

I opened my eyes, staring at a wooden ceiling.

"Careful." A British voice warned when I got up.

The voices were all there, but I didn't see any of them until I turned my head. Thomas and Teresa sat next to me. I was in the Pit. Newt, Minho, and Chuck sat next to it, looking through the bamboo fence.

"Where were we?" I groaned and stretched my hurtful arms.

"We were just talking about how Thomas and Teresa help built this maze," Minho explained.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck raised his voice before I even got to think about what Minho said.
"You didn't seriously think you could beat that Griever?"

"Thanks for believing in me, Chuck." I smiled poorly before taking a deep breath, my face already darkening.

"Gally took the lead," Newt explained. "He's banishing us since we didn't want to join him, so we're planning on escaping."

"But you're the Second-in-command," I commented. "How come you didn't take charge?"

"Gally already had gathered all those boys with them. We have no chance." Newt sighed and rubbed his chin.

I took another deep breath, deciding to explain what I was actually in the Glade for. If something happened during the escape, they at least knew the truth.

"Gally was right," I admitted. "And Alby. They both knew why I'm here."

Newt frowned. "What are you talking about?"

I sniffed and blinked some tears away. "It was me.. it was my fault the Doors didn't close."

"What?" Minho scoffed, but then he realized I was serious.

"There is this voice in my head.. like a robot." I started explaining, slow and hesitant. "It gave me tasks, and if I didn't complete them, there would be consequences."

"So you didn't complete a task and that's why the Doors didn't close?" Thomas wondered.

I nodded. "Basically."

"What was the task?" Minho talked.

I looked down in shame. "To leave you and Thomas in the maze, trapped in between the Blades."

"But you didn't leave us." Minho realized.

"Yeah, but then the Doors didn't close," I muttered.

"What else did you do?" Chuck asked, his face full of disbelief, but he still seemed sweet.

"Cut the wires of the power," I explained. "I had to steal out of the Med Hut, so stole one band-aid, but that wasn't enough.. so the consequence was that I fainted a few days ago. The bomb in the maze was a consequence too.. and other stuff."

I didn't tell them about one certain task. That was too awful to tell. And I didn't know what Newt would do if he knew I had to kill him, though I wouldn't.

"I'm so sorry." A tear slid down my cheek. "I didn't want it either, but the consequences and everything.."

Newt rubbed his chin again. "You didn't do it voluntarily."

"But I still did it," I mumbled.

"Yeah, but not voluntarily. So we can't blame you. And we won't. You want to get out of here just as badly as we do." Newt decided.

"They called me The Spy." I almost whispered. "I don't want to be a spy."

"It'll be over soon," Minho assured. "We'll escape this place.. these stupid creators and get out of here."

~

We got a plan against Gally. Thomas and I would act unconscious, but then attack while Chuck got us everything we needed. The others would help to fight and then we escaped.

"Gally... It doesn't feel right, man." Winston admitted. I kept my eyes closed but felt myself getting dropped onto the ground by the two boys holding me.

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right?" Someone sounding like Jeff added. "Maybe he can lead us home."

"We are home," Gally replied. "Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall."

Teresa started arguing. "You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything?"

"No," Gally said. "But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering."

Oh, shit.

"What?" Teresa stammered. "Wait! Gally, what are you doing?"

I didn't know what was happening, but it wasn't good.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he has done? Look around you! Look at our Glade! This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for... everything goes back to the way it was." Gally explained.

"Are you listening to this?" Teresa raised her voice, which I respected her for. "Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy!"

"You shut up," Gally commanded.

Teresa ignored him. "If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back... until you're all dead!"

"Shut up!" Gally shouted. "Tie them up!"

I realize he was talking about Thomas and me, so mentally got ready for an attack.

"Do you hear me?" Gally asked when no one did anything. "I said tie him up!"

Two arms grabbed me, which I took as a chance. I opened my eyes and elbowed a boy in the nose as I kicked the other one in the crotch. They grunted and were about to attack, but before they even got to chance, I pulled out my knife and pointed it at them.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" Gally asked when all of us stood in front of the Doors.

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving." Thomas held a spear in front of him. "Anyone else who wants to come now is your last chance."

"Don't listen to him, he's just trying to scare you."

"No, I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. I'm scared." Thomas admitted. "But I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here." He paused. "We don't belong here. This place isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. At least, out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that."

The boys seemed hesitant, but then Winston stepped forward. "I'm sorry." He looked at Gally before walking over to us.

Soon Jeff and the other boys followed.

"Gally, it's over," Thomas stated. "Just come with us."

Gally frowned deeply.
"Good luck against the Grievers."