61 - Night

We all gathered in front of the Doors now, waiting for Minho and Alby. I tapped my foot repeatedly, so anxious for the two boys. I didn't know what to do if Minho didn't make it out of the maze. He was a literal part of me, so if he died...

"Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas wondered.

"Yeah." I agreed in full confidence. "Come on." I took a step closer to the maze, but Newt pulled me back and shook his head.

"That's against the rules." Gally sighed. "Either they make it back or they don't."

"We can't risk losing anyone else," Newt added, seeming quite stressed himself. Automatically my hand made its way to his, which he gladly took.

"They have to make it," I whispered, afraid of what was going to happen.

Then the ground started to tremble, almost making me lose my balance. "Oh no," I muttered. Minho and Alby had to be fast if they wanted to make it. But Minho was fast, I knew that. The fastest out of shucking everyone. He had to make it.

"There!" Thomas pointed at two figures appearing around the corner.

"Wait, something's wrong." Newt frowned and took a closer look.

I saw it too. Minho was carrying Alby on his back, trying to take him to us. So Alby was hurt.

"Come on, Minho, you can do it!" Chuck screamed, and soon others started encouraging the boy too, but I didn't. My chest tightened when the Doors moved closer to each other, slowly letting Minho disappear. But I couldn't leave him. I couldn't let him die.

"Minho, you gotta leave him!" Gally shouted.

Minho would never.

"They're not gonna make it." Newt quietly realized.

Suddenly Thomas jumped forward, slipping into the almost closed gap.

"Thomas, no!" Chuck screamed as he tried to grab the boy's arm, but Thomas kept running and I took it as a sign.

I sprinted forward, ready to go to Minho and get through the Doors, but someone wrapped their arms around my torso.

I screamed, realizing if I didn't get out of the grip the person held on me, Minho would die and I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye.

"Jane!" It was Newt. He wrapped his arms around me even tighter when I started to toss around with my arms and kick with my legs. I sobbed loudly, tears streaming down my face at the thought of Minho spending a night in the maze, getting killed by a Griever.

Newt never let go of me and I didn't manage to escape, but kept resisting with some cries. Then the Doors closed.

"No!" I screamed in agony, letting myself fall onto the ground, Newt quickly sliding under me so I was still in his arms. 

It was like a part of me was already gone. It was empty.
The waterfall of tears never stopped and I took deep breaths in between each cry, sobbing.

"Let me go, Newt." I cried, but didn't have the energy to resist left.

Newt didn't reply and just held me in his arms, looking at me in pity. The pain in his eyes was there too, but he didn't show it and just kept on comforting me.

"Minho-." I breathed. "He-."

"I know, love. I know." Newt talking calmly. Too calm for the situation, which caused me to get angry.

"You should've let me go!" I yelled. "You stupid- you-." It all turned into another sob. Newt slowly moved closer, burying my head in his chest.

"Maybe they'll make it, love," Newt whispered. "You know, Minho. He's fast and knows the maze as no one else."

"But you said it yourself!" I sobbed. "No one survives a night in the maze and now Thomas and Alby are in there too!"

"Minho's fast, Alby's smart, and Thomas... maybe Thomas is that too." Newt sighed. "Don't give up your hopes, okay?"

I nodded, but kept crying, Newt rubbing my back to comfort me.

"Jane?" An innocent voice suddenly said. I looked up with my probably bloodshot eyes. "I got you dinner."

It was Chuck. His hurt expression made me want to cry even harder, but instead, I rubbed my eyes and got up. "I'm not that hungry, sorry, Chuck. But thank you." I said, my voice hoarser than I expected it to be.

Chuck pouted and soon hugged me tightly. "I don't want Minho and the others to go." He quietly cried. "Minho still has to teach me stuff."

I let out a very small chuckle through my tears. "They'll get out.. hopefully."

Chuck let go of me and gave Newt, who stood a few feet away from us, a glance. "Tonight I'll allow you to cuddle with Newt, in our bed." He paused. "But I want to sleep there too."

I smiled a bit. "Then we do that."

The mood was sad and it was hard to laugh about each other's jokes, but a few smiles and laughs were still given away. And that was why I liked Newt and Chuck so much. They cheered me up a lot.

"Only tonight," Chuck warned Newt when we arrived in the hut.

"You guys just go lay down." Newt sweetly ordered. We did as Newt told us to do while he grabbed another blanket and literally tucked us in like little kids.

"What about you?" Chuck asked, talking quietly.

"I'll stay.." Newt grabbed a chair and put it next to the bed. "Right here." He sat down. "The bed is too small for me too, Chuckie."

"Are you sure?" Chuck questioned. I just lay there, staring at the ceiling and thinking about Minho.

"I'll be fine," Newt responded. Chuck nodded and buried himself under the blanket.

While Chuck fell asleep, the image of Minho getting killed by a Griever repeated in my head over and over again, keeping my eyes wide open.

"Go to sleep, love," Newt whispered from the chair.

"You too then," I replied.

"I can't sleep." Newt sighed and scooted his chair a little closer.

"Me neither." I quietly said.

"Guess we gotta stay awake together then."