2 - "The Lizard And The Mean Hoe"

"Over there we have the Homestead." The dark-skinned boy explained. His name turned out to be Alby. He motioned at a wooden building. It was very unstable like it could fall apart in minutes.
"Blood House. Med Hut. Deadheads. Kitchen. Huts. Gardens." Alby explained.

"Blood House?" I frowned. The name didn't sound very nice to me.

"Ask someone else the questions. Not me." Alby simply replied. "The Blood House is where the Slicers work."

"What are-."

"That gets me to the jobs." Alby interrupted me. "Builders, Cooks, Slicers, Track-hoes, Med-jacks, Sloppers, Bricknicks, and Bagger."

"And Runner." Someone added. The person tapped my shoulder, causing me to turn around. A very short boy with brown curls stood behind me. He smiled, causing him to get chubby cheeks. He wasn't older than thirteen.

"Chuck," Alby said, not in the happiest way. "Might as well take over the tour if you're interrupting."

The kid nodded happily. "I will!"

"Chuck?" I repeated.

"That's my name." The boy smiled. He seemed like a nice kid. "So do you remember your name?"

"Not yet." I sighed. "What are Slicers?" I blurted out. I was very curious.

Chuck's face darkened. "Ew." He muttered. "They slaughter animals. Gotta get our food somewhere, don't we?"

I raised my eyebrows in disgust. "What's over there?" I motioned at the gap in the wall.

Chuck sighed. "We're not supposed to go in there."
I didn't listen and started walking towards the gap. "Hey! I said we weren't supposed to go in there! Why does nobody ever listen to me?" Chuck jogged after me.

I took a better look at the gap. A cold breeze blew in my face. It was dark and cold, almost scary.

"Hey!" Someone yelled. They pushed me away from the gap, so I almost fell to the ground. I was a bit shocked by the sudden attack.

"Minho! Act normal, you idiot!" Chuck screamed hysterically. "You can't just touch a girl like that!" Once I recovered, I looked up. The same boy I kicked in the crotch earlier stood in front of me. He seemed kind of angry, with heavy breaths.

"It's karma!" The boy argued.

I gave him a dirty glance. "You deserved it." I answered.

The boy rolled his eyes. "So now we're talkin'?"

We got interrupted by the ground shaking heavily. I almost fell again. Frightened I stared at the gap. Two walls were closing, nearing each other. How the hell could two giant walls, that probably weighed tons, possibly move? They closed with a boom and then it was over.

"Maybe I'll let you leave next time, Shebean." The Asian boy snapped, before walking away.

~

"Don't mind Minho." Chuck sighed as we walked toward the kitchen. "He's a bit of a..."

"Mean hoe?" I finished.

Chuck chuckled lightly. "He's nice, but quite sassy and makes stupid comments. Thinks he's the king of the Glade, ya know? But you'll just have to know that shank better. He's alright."

"So his name is Minho?" I wondered. Chuck nodded in response. "I might consider calling him Mean Hoe."

"Wouldn't do that," Chuck suggested. "He ain't gonna like you for that."

"He already doesn't like me." I shrugged and waited in line to get some food. Chuck still stood by my side, giving nasty glances to anyone who dared to look at me. I smiled lightly at his protectiveness. Though the kid was very young, he seemed quite confident in between all those older boys. Minho and Alby seemed around sixteen or seventeen years old, maybe Alby was even older, so I guessed Chuck was the youngest.

"So I'm the only girl?" I asked. All of it was a bit weird, especially since I was trapped with just boys. Weird creatures...

"Yup." Chuck replied, popping the p. "Hey, Frypan." The kid cheerfully said when a dark-skinned boy with an apron handed him a plate filled with food.

Frypan? I almost said out loud.

"Hey, Greenie. Nice to meet ya." The boy chuckled and handed me a plate too. "Hope you enjoy."

I gave him a small, confused smile and quickly followed Chuck, who already rushed away. "Is his name Frypan?" I frowned.

"Yeah." Chuck simply said. "Don't worry. We got a boy named after a lizard too. And we're guessing Alby is named after Albert Einstein, though he isn't as smart. Minho sounds like Mean Hoe. And Gally sounds like garlic. I'm the only one with a normal name."

I chuckled lightly at the names but hoped I had a normal one. "Who are we joining?"

"The Lizard and the Mean Hoe." Chuck smiled.

"Not Mean Hoe!" I begged. "I don't like him."

"Seems like the perfect opportunity to get to know him better, Greenie." Chuck shrugged and kept walking.

"What's a Greenie?"

"That's what we call the newest arrivals, like you. You have to wait one month until people will call you normally." Chuck explained. "Now come on." He sat down at a table. I recognized Minho, of course, and the blonde boy who took me out of the Box.

"Are you serious, Chuck?" Minho snapped once he saw me.

"It was just an accident. It won't happen again." The British boy quickly said. He meant me hurting Minho. "Come on, sit down." He motioned at the seat across from him and Minho. Hesitantly I sat down.
"Remember ya name yet?" The Brit asked.

"No." I simply replied. "What's yours?"

"Mine is-." Minho started.

"I know what yours is." I interrupted. Minho pulled a face. "I'm asking him."

"The Lizard," Chuck whispered in my ear. I chuckled lightly.

The blonde glanced at Chuck before talking. "It's Newt."

I nodded, not wanting to make any more enemies by making fun of his name, which to me was a nice one. Newt wasn't that bad of a name. I liked it.

"We have a bonfire tonight!" Chuck clapped his hand in excitement.

"You're not getting any more drinks, Chuck," Newt ordered. "Remember what happened last time? And besides, you're too young."

"You're not eighteen either! How do you get to be drunk but I don't?" Chuck pouted. I frowned. Drunk?

"I don't get drunk, Chuck." Newt sighed. "Did you ever see me drunk?"

"No, but-."

"Exactly." Newt interrupted. "Now go eat before Minho steals your food."