21 - Bet

After breakfast, I helped Chuck with washing some dishes in the kitchen. The kid was a nice distraction from everything that happened and really cheered me up.

"Are we still going to change Newt's shampoo with animal piss sometime?" Chuck handed me a plate to dry.

"If you manage to get animal piss somewhere, then it's fine to me." I chuckled lightly at the thought.

"We can get so much piss that we could ruin Minho's hair gel too. But he would kill us for that." Chuck sighed.

"So? Gally wants to kill us too."

Chuck gasped. "We can make everyone want to kill us!"

"Uhm.. that's an option too," I replied.

"We will-."

Chuck got interrupted by Newt. "Hey, Chuckie. Jane needs to help me in the gardens for a bit. She'll be right back!" Newt grabbed my arm and pulled me with him.

"Hey! I never agreed!" Chuck yelled.

"I didn't either," I mumbled under my breath but didn't resist.

Newt and I arrived in the gardens and stood there awkwardly. "I'm sorry about all the things I said this morning, Jane." Newt looked at the ground. "I didn't know the situation."

My cheeks heat up lightly. Newt was apologizing.
"I think it's okay." My voice cracked. "But can you tell me why you were acting like that? Angry, I mean."

Newt's face turned bright red. "Oh, that. Uhm- I just didn't want any other guys to... uh- to think they can just sleep next to you. That's why. The only reason."

I frowned but decided to just believe Newt. "Okay." Both of us were silent for a few seconds. "So can I get back to Chuck, or..." I started.

Newt looked up and hesitated. "Decide what you want." He paused. "But I could use - uhm.. a little help, you know."

"I'll stay then." I chuckled lightly and got to work until Minho walked over to us.

"Yo, Newt. Good to see you, man. Mind if I steal Jane for a second? No? Okay, that's awesome! See ya!" Minho pulled me up by my arm.

"Well actually-." Newt started, but Minho already dragged me away, leaving Newt behind.

"What is it, Minho?" I sighed when he pulled me into the Homestead.

"You gotta get ready for running tomorrow. So you get to choose a weapon." Minho walked down the stairs Chuck and I once did too.

"Right now? I was talking with Newt!" I argued, but then my eyes opened wide at the sight of the weapons again.

"Are we okay?" Minho asked as I walked around the room.

"I think we are, for the moment. But when something stupid happens, we'll probably hate each other again." I sighed.

"I still hate you," Minho said.

Offended I glanced at him. "I was starting to like you, but you just ruined it, Mean Hoe."

Minho was starting to act nicer, saved me, and asked if we were okay, but when I answered with yes, he said he still hated me! What kind of way of communicating is that?

"You really gotta stop calling me that," Minho ordered.

"What are you gonna do?" I asked with my back still facing him. "Call me a deformed chicken?"

"Mhm." Minho hummed. "Maybe."

"Your decision." I turned around and held up a weapon. "I choose this one, by the way."

It was a long silver knife with a comfortable black handle. Perfect to throw or stab with.

"You get three of those." Minho grabbed two more knives out of a drawer. "Gotta have enough to defend yourself with."

I nodded. "Can I go now?"

"Sure."

~

"Jane! Where were you? Newt said you would be right back!" Chuck ran over to me.

"Sorry. Minho needed me too." I sighed and followed Chuck to a tree. We sat down against it and watched some boys work.

"For klunk's sake, they're both in love with you! I'm gonna call it." Chuck crossed his arms over each other.

"Very funny, Chuck." I rolled my eyes, but my heart started pounding faster for some reason.

"I bet Minho's gonna make the first move," Chuck explained.

"You bet? With who?"

"Everyone." Chuck laughed. "Fry, Winston, Zart, Jeff, Clint. The whole Glade!"

"And what exactly did you bet for?"

"I said Minho would make the first move, but you would end up with Newt."

My eyes opened wide. "Chuck! None of that is going to happen. I don't like either of them in that way."

"But they like you!" Chuck blurted out. "It's obvious."

"I've been here a week." I reminded Chuck.

"Clint and Jeff are your biggest supporters." Chuck grinned. "They said you would take 'em both."

I gasped. "Those slintheads!"

"What does it mean?" Chuck asked. "And what does dingleberry mean? And when you and Minho were fighting, he called you a Newtshucker. What does that mean?"

"Newtshucker is not a word, so don't believe any  of the things Minho says."

Minho came walking over to us. "Me again, Chuck. I just need one more minute to talk with Jane. Thank you!" He wanted to grab my arm, but I pulled away from his grip.

"I'm busy." I snapped.

"You're talking to Chuck." Minho corrected.

"So? I'm busy talking with Chuck." I felt a faint anger rise in me as Minho talked about Chuck like he was worth nothing. He couldn't just say that sort of thing!

"I'm sure it can wait," Minho explained.

"I'm sure you can wait! I'm talking to Chuck right now. Newt and I weren't finished either this morning, but you pulled me away. I'm not your pet! So leave me alone! Newt too. Y'all can't just drag me around like I'm nothing!"

Minho gave me a nasty glance, but his eyes were hurt. "Alright, Shebean. Have fun talking with Chuck!" He turned around and walked away.

"I thought you were starting to like each other," Chuck whispered. "So why were you cuddling if you're acting like this right now?"

"I don't know, Chuck." I sighed. "I don't know."

~

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter is a bit shitty and maybe even confusing 😬 I'll edit it some better later!

Would you rather want to be alone with Minho in the Weapon Room or with Newt in the gardens? And why?

Have a nice day/night!❤️