When Empires Meet

Papaldia Empire, Esthirant, 1st foreign affairs department, August 20th 1639

A lot of information was gathered on Empire of Japan after Department Head Elto's gave the orders. And what they found was to put it mildly, something which shook many to their core, for the first time in over 800 years, Papaldia had a enemy which was their equal

First, they concluded that the United States of Gra Valkas was uninvolved with the Fenn Incident. The country that drove away the oversight army flew a white flag with a red circle, with Red Lines spewing away from the Red Circle, which more or less confirmed that the Empire of Japan was the culprit. It was still unclear why the oversight army's wyvern lord squadron didn't return, though. Or how they forced their fleet to turn Tail, with Ironclads being the most likely outcome.

They Also Now knew that the enemy ships had few cannons, but they didn't know why; maybe it was because it had such high accuracy or Maybe a Ungodly Range? Still, they didn't think it could overcome the pure brute force of a Ironclads 30 Guns. It seemed clear that single ship was very advanced, but was that enough to cause such a Rout? They just couldn't believe it was possible. The Most likely conclusion they came up with was that the Ironclad they faced was made purely for Big Guns Doctrine, As in While it was Powerful, it was also possible Japan was lacking in the ability to make many Ships due to lack of resources.

There was the extreme case of the Gra Valkas magic ship, the Grade Atlastar, taking down Leiforia all by itself, but they were certain that there was some mistake in the intelligence, no ship could do that, even if they were on Par with the central world, However, it was still true that Gra Valkas had the power to defeat Leifor, so they would have to be careful with them in the future. Domitian Himself added that both should enjoy friendly relations, sending a corps for the winter of 1639-40, if they can get that power as well, Maybe, Maybe the entire East would be theirs.

In Admiral Poquetoire's report, he described cannons The Size of Trees and the Range of over 30KM. Elto asked a military research group about this and were told "It was Impossible Even if we had another 100 years, it would be impossible for us to achieve that." So, they concluded that it was unrealistic for a country outside the civilized areas to be more than 100 years more advanced than the empire, It was more likely that the Information was twisted due to the sailors being afraid of something as grand as a Ironclad. 

There was also Varhal's Report about the war between Lauria and The Empire of Japan, which showed to Domitian and Everyone that Japan truly was out for Blood and if they didn't take them out soon, it would be too late, and now the Navy and Military was preparing for War with Japan.

Finally They gathered some interesting information about the Empire of Japan from countries in the 3rd Civilization's sphere of influence. Apparently, The Empire of Japan only spends about 10% of its wealth on armaments, But they had gotten the Numbers wrong, as They stated, it was 250 Billion$, But since such a number was Impossible, it must Have been 250 Million, not Billion. Knowing that, With them having spending 23% less than the Empire, they would quickly fall behind another strong country in the long term.

The 1st foreign affairs department thus came to two conclusions: first, while The Empire of Japan should not be underestimated, at the same time they should not be feared and second, they should attack them soon, before they have time to accrue more armaments. As was the Mood with everyone, they needed to end Japan before they took More Land, cutting Papaldia from their Expansion East.

Without knowing it, Papaldia had doomed itself in A Bloody War.

Papaldia Empire, Esthirant, imperial palace, Same day

The Empire's statesmen lay prostrated on the floor, the air in the room strained. The most important meeting in the country, with Emperor Ludius II and Domitian in attendance, was about to begin.