Chapter 28

Vidhya's pov :

It was midnight and me and Karthik was staying in the hospital to take care of grandfather.

A doctor came out of his room and we stood up.

"Is he fine?", Karthik asked.

"He's better.. you can see him now.", He said and we nodded entering into his room.

He looked at us weekly as he gestured me to come near him. I sat beside his seat and Karthik stood beside me.

"Will you marry him, Vidhya? It will save us from the humiliation from other people. You know, my end is coming soon and I want to have a peaceful end and don't want others talk behind our back."

"Why didn't you say the same to Maya?", Karthik asked.

"The news have become big and literally most of the people and our relatives and come to know about this. I have no other way, Vidhya. You can change him after marriage.. it's not like he'll be a womanizer all the time. He can be a gentleman too and you have to see it.", He said.

I felt numb. He expect me to throw away my self-respect and reluctance but he's never ready to throw away his relations and pride for me.

"If you marry someone else, it's not like you know they're good. Even I thought my son was a gentleman until he abused your mom. Not every man with gentle look are good, Vidhya.", He said.

"I want you to marry him or you can't see your grandfather alive..", he said and a tear left my eyes.

"You're going to ruin her life for what people are talking?", Karthik asked and grandfather kept silent.

"Calm down, Karthik. I love you both and I just expect one thing from you both. Can't you do that for your grandfather?"

"Tell me, Vidhya? Will you marry him?", He asked and a sob left my mouth.

"Okay..", I whispered.

"What the heck? Are you in your senses?", Karthik asked.

"I'm so happy, Vidhya. Thank God, you didn't let me down..", he said and Karthik dragged me outside.

"Are you serious!?", He yelled.

"What else do you expect me to do when he's talking like that, Karthik. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do when he's saying he will die if I don't marry him."

"Vidhya, you can never be happy with him. It's like ruining your own life."

"I know but he-"

"You're coming inside and saying no to him.."

"His condition is not good. What if his condition gets worse if we say something?"

"But, I won't allow you to ruin your entire life for him. You have a long ife ahead and live it happily out of all pains. I'll send you to US and you can work there for a few-"

"He's dying, Karthik. The man who gave us shelter for 14 years is dying and here you are, planning to send me away. Running away from all this would do nothing but haunt me more."

"So, you're going to marry that bastard!?", He yelled and I look at him desperately.

I don't have any other way, do I?

"What's with your silence? You want to marry that bastard and ruin your entire life. Today or tomorrow, you'll regret it."

"You know what? I've never seen you this crazy before. You slapped aunt and Maya for talking ill. I understand how mad you should be. I'm the reason for all of it and I don't want to be a burden to you anymore."