52

Chapter 52 Thick-skinned

“Like the man just now, you should not let him in. Do you think anyone can enter my office casually?”

Miriam did not expect that on her first day at work, Lamont would treat her poorly. She could only smile and agree, “I’m sorry, Mr. Byron. It’s my first day here, and I’m still new to all these. But please believe me. I can definitely do better than Hector.”

“Well. Then show me.”

Lamont suddenly raised his voice. Finding out the stock price kept falling, Lamont started to be in a bad mood. While Miriam was chattering next to him, Lamont felt even more agitated.

“If you came here just to introduce yourself, then you may leave now as I already know you.”

Miriam had indeed just wanted to attract Lamont’s attention. Since her intention was exposed so bluntly, Miriam had no other choice but to leave the office resentfully.

Then she recalled the scene when she was called to Macey’s side last night.

“Do you know why I called you here?”

Miriam shook her head obediently. “I don’t know, but I will do whatever you ask me to do, Ms. Aylward.”

“Then I will arrange for you to be Lamont’s assistant now. What do you think?”

Miriam was shocked and immediately thought about Lamont’s handsome face.

“Of course!”

Miriam figured she would be so stupid if she didn’t seize such a great opportunity.

However, sophisticated Macey surely knew what Miriam was thinking, so Macey gave Miriam a warning at that time.

“I have to remind you that you should do your job well by Lamont’s side. Don’t dream of seducing him with your body. After all, he has already seen tons of beauties like you.”

Macey’s words were like cold water that immediately put out any flames. Miriam’s enthusiasm was gone, However, she still had great interests. After all, not everyone had such a good opportunity to stay by Lamont’s side. So Miriam started to plot something in her mind.

At the same time, Amelie was angry thinking about what happened. She felt her blood heat up and then took out her

phone from the bag.

Just as Amelie was about to ask Lamont out for a talk, she felt that it was inappropriate and stopped. After thinking tor a long time, Amelie finally texted, “About Rohan, what have you done?”

Lamont’s phone rang.

He looked at the message sent by a familiar number on his phone and telt an indescribable feeling in his heart.

For so long after their divorce, Amelie actually contacted him because of Rohan.

Holding the phone and thinking for a long time, Lamont still did not think of a suitable reply to Amelie.

He wondered if he should confidently tell Amelie that he was responsible for the incidents, or if he should pretend to be cold and didn’t reply.

After struggling for a long time, Lamont quickly sent out a sentence. “It seems you are quite well–informed.”

Get Bonus

Amelie stared at her phone and was so angry that she could not say a word,

Does he think that he is humorous?

He actually used such a dirty method and was so thick–skinned that he dared to admit it. No wonder he is part of the Byron family.

Amelie threw her phone on the table and stopped caring about it. She had something else that she was more concerned about.

“Sergio, can you contact Rex?”

Amelie nervously sent an email to Sergio. Although she wanted to get some good news from Sergio, Amelie knew that it was of little chance to contact Rex.

But she knew she had to try it on Sergio.

The underground forces in Africa were too powerful, so Sergio asked some companies to design a chip that could be implanted into the human body and tracked.

Back then, when the chip had just come out, the design team reminded Sergio that there were still risks. The chip was the first generation, and its imperfect performance in various aspects required a period of careful experiments.

However, Sergio couldn’t wait. He had to make profits. Rex was at home at that time and volunteered to be Sergio’s experimental subject. Fortunately, other than the unstable signal, the first–generation chip did not have any other bad impacts.

At that time, with the chip that connected the two, Sergio could easily know Rex’s location.

To Amelie’s surprise, Sergio quickly replied, “What is it? Why are you looking for Rex? Couldn’t I just help you instead?”

Amelie did not know whether to laugh or cry as she checked the message. She had no choice but to tell Sergio her

guess.

“I want Rex to go to the prison and see Leila if he has time. Otherwise, I feel uncomfortable all the time.”

Not long after, Sergio made a video call.

As soon as Amelie picked up the call, she saw Sergio and Rex squeezing each other and trying to get to the screen.

“Rex! Sergio! Why are you two together?”

Sergio and Rex both crowded over there, trying to make their faces appear on the phone, neither of them showing any

signs of politeness toward each other.

“I have quite a long vacation. I plan to stay with Sergio for a few days before going back to you.” As he spoke, Rex gave

Sergio a smug look. “Sergio, just stay here and deal with this group of those barbarians. I’ll go back on my own.”

“You!”

The image on the screen suddenly shook, showing Sergio’s face alone. It was obvious that Sergio had taken the phone

away.

“How dare you do that to me! It’s me who let Amelie contact you.”

Amelie couldn’t tell them to shut up or cover their mouth, so she could only raise her voice.

“Stop! Listen to me!”

It worked. Sergio and Rex quickly quieted down. Then they smiled and appeared on the screen. “What is it, Amelie?”