- chapter fifty eight -

• sierra

Yeah, it's all alright.
I guess it's all alright.
I got nothing left inside of my chest,
but it's all alright.
Yeah, it's all alright.
I guess it's all alright.
I got nothing left inside of my chest,
but it's all alright.

The lyrics rang and warbled though my ears as I regained conscience. My eyes blinked open and it felt as if the world was spinning. There was a heaviness in my chest. It felt like 1000 pounds was weighing down on my heart. I looked around and finally realized I was in a ditch. Pain began to settle in and I saw my leg was severed and I knew my head couldn't be in good shape. I couldn't move to feel my face but I could feel blood trickling down my face. I knew I had multiple severe injures but that's not what I was most worried about. Where is Demi? I tried to sit up and ended up hacking up blood. I eventually gave up and laid back down in my pool of blood. This is how I'm dying. This is it. This is what death feels like, I've felt it before. "D-Demi." I attempted to scream but it was just a whisper. I needed to get help and fast before the both Demi and I died. Demi got hit side on there's no way she will live if she doesn't get help stat.. If she's even alive. I have to keep it together to survive. Think. I moved my arm that wasn't as injured and felt my back pocket for my phone and sure enough it was there. I pulled it out and winced from the pain in my arm. My vision wasn't the best so I squinted as I dialed the police. As expected they answered right away. "This is Los Angeles County Police. Tell us your emergency and remain calm." I tried to talk but it resulted in more coughing up blood. "I-I was in a fatal car accident with another person and I don't know where they are and I can't move." I said in a whisper. "Where are you?" I moved my head as best as a I can to my left and I screamed at the sight. Demi's car is completely trashed all but the radio and Demi lies outside of it, her body covered in blood. "Miss, please tell us where you are." Tears streamed down my face as I looked for a sign of where we are. I know we're in Baker California because that's where Demi's family lives which is basically the middle of nowhere and also where the orphanage is. I finally found a sign. "Zzyxz road in Baker California." I said quietly. "Okay, I'm going to have another receptionist call the police in Baker for you and they will send help right away okay? Stay on the line with me." It was getting hard to breathe. "It's too hard to breathe." I forced the words out. "They will be there in two minutes, okay? Stay with me. What is your name?" My mind was fuzzy. "Sierra Lovato and Demi Lovato is my.. Parent. She adopted me." Memories of what happened began to surface. When she told me I was leaving to when I said I hated her. Those were my last words to her and I will never forgive myself for this. "Okay. The ambulances are on their way. Stay still and don't move, okay?" I coughed but was able to squeeze out and okay. Within seconds I could hear the sirens of the ambulance and I began to hope that Demi and I will be okay. We've always been okay and this can't stop us either. I army crawled to the side of the road so the ambulances would see me. I waved them over while wincing in pain. They rushed out of the ambulances and pulled out the gurneys. Please let Demi be okay. That was the last thought I remember before I was rushed into the E.R. at a hospital and the world turned black.

some truths, over time, can learn to play nice.
some truths are sharper than knives.
some truths we only see in the corners of our eyes.
some truths we wish we could hide.

some truths can save us,
some take our lives.
some truths are fire
and some truths are ice.

"I hate you!" I repeated the last words I said to Demi in my mind over and over again. I've been awake for the past three days and I haven't been able to stop thinking about the fact that those were my last words I have said to her. The doctors keep coming in quietly talking amongst themselves about considering the option of sending me to a psych ward. I don't care. Maybe I am crazy and maybe my head is a mess. Images of the crash wish forever be burned into my mind. The shattering of the glass, the car flipping over, Demi flying out of the windshield, and not to mention her left leg barely holding onto her own body. I still remember the feeling that coursed through my body when I was thrown though the passenger window. I felt weightless but once my body hit the ground I blacked out. If there is a way to explain how death feels like then this car accident is a perfect way to explain it. My vitals were stable and they said that even though I had suffered some extreme injuries I should heal effectively and in a decent time. Nobody cared to tell me how Demi was because they all thought I was crazy enough to go into a psych ward. I wasn't speaking because I have nothing to say. I feel nothing at all. I've experienced so many crazy and horrible things and I don't how much more I can take until I really lose it. Until they really throw me in a psych ward. I'm not sure if Demi's family was contacted or not but I'm sure they know something went wrong by now. My thoughts were silenced by my doctor opening my door. Her name was Sam and she specializes in trauma. She was gentle and kind unlike most doctors I've worked with. She glanced at me and smiled sadly. She pulled up a chair next to my bed and pulled out what seemed to be Demi's folder. "I'm sure you want to know how Demi is, yes?" I nodded and my stomach twisted into knots. If she isn't alive I will never forgive myself. Ever. This as all my fault to begin with. "Demi is alive. Her vitals are stable and she should wake up soon but there is.. There is one more thing." Sam took hold of my hand and bit my lip as the anxiety started to eat away at me. "We had to amputate her left leg."

Shocker? Maybe.
Everyone is alive so that's a thing to rejoice about right?!
I'm very excited to see where this book goes and I hope you guys are too. I know it took some pretty crazy turns.. I put some lyrics from two songs in because for me it adds more emotional element. The next 1-2 chapters will have them but if you want me to continue after that let me know in the comments. I'll list the songs below if you want to take a listen after the update info. Also, you guys passed the goal again! It does motivate me to write and update. I do read all of your comments and greatly appreciate your votes. (: I love you all and hope your day is amazing.
xx

next update - 4-8 days
early update - 50 votes & 15 comments

songs -
1. all right - fun.
2. south by sleeping at last.