Luckier than he had hoped

Arthur Parnassus x Linus Baker
Mr. Parnassus' Heim für magisch Begabte
Gay, Asexual

Word count: 846

Arthur Parnassus was not what Linus had expected. Not in any way. First of all, he had never expected that someone could possibly love him the way he was. With a bit too much fat on his hips, fading hair, high blood pressure and especially with his asexuality.

But there he was. Engaged to Arthur Parnassus, raising seven very special children with him. And he was happy. Happier than he had ever expected to be.

When he was young, maybe 20 years old, he had given up on even finding love. By then he had figured out he was gay. And that had been enough. He never felt like he was brave enough to be someone who was openly gay in this world. Plus, he had always been an introverted person. And since he was clearly not feeling like going into a Gay Club on any level, there was a very low chance of even meeting a man.

And meeting a Phoenix through his job and falling completely in love with him, definitely wasn't what he'd expected.

When he finally had also found out that he was in fact asexual and not very much into the idea of having sex or getting sexually pleasured by someone, he had completely given up. There was not a chance that someone would love him - a fat old man - if he couldn't and wouldn't even want to sexually pleasure them.

And again... There was Arthur.

Arthur who was asexual himself. Who enjoyed making out and being with him, discussing psychology and just being happy with him. Who wanted to marry him.

Linus would probably never really believe it. Maybe he would forever think that one day Arthur would say that it was all a joke. But with every day, he thought more and more that this all might be real. Completely real. That this beautiful man really did love him and did want to be with him forever.

Linus thought about all of this while watching Arthur (who seemed to be more asleep than awake) carrying Lucy, carefully rocking him on his arm to calm him down a bit more. Lucy had had way worse nightmares and he had calmed down rather quickly with this one but he still needed Arthur to help him go back to sleep.

So there Arthur was. Standing in the middle of his closet, in a black tee and shorts, completely barefoot and with closed eyes, rocking his body from one side to the other. Being the perfect father he always was.

"Can I sleep in your bed?" Lucy asked quietly. Arthur opened his eyes and looked at Linus in a questioning way. "Of course." Linus softly said.

They didn't do that often. The kids weren't really allowed to sleep in their bed because they would have to take turns and then Arthur and Linus wouldn't have a single night of the week for themselves. But it was different when they had had nightmares and couldn't go back to sleep alone. Then Arthur either stayed with them in their beds (Arthur was more of a comforting person because he was so big and warm so they mostly preferred him staying instead of Linus - which Linus was very fine with, he preferred his own bed anyway) or they were allowed to sleep in their bed for the night.

Arthur switched off the lights and walked back to the bed, letting Lucy crawl onto the mattress first. Linus stepped to Arthur, put a hand around his hip and pulled him close. "You are doing really good." he whispered in his ear, giving Arthur some assurance. He wasn't sure Arthur needed it. But it also couldn't hurt.

Arthur leaned towards him and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. For a moment he leaned his forehead against Linus' and closed his eyes like he was about to fall asleep then and there. "I love you, Linus." he mumbled, his voice slightly slurred because of his tiredness.

"I love you too, Arthur. Let's go back to sleep, hm?" Arthur nodded: "Good idea." He climbed over Lucy, laying down beside him and pulling the blanket over both of their bodies. Linus laid back down too. He was the tiniest bit sad that he couldn't snuggle up close to Arthur like he usually did. But the child between them didn't keep Arthur from reaching over to him, softly caressing Linus' cheek, smiling softly.

"My dear, dear man." he mumbled tiredly. Linus grabbed his hand and pressed a loving kiss to it. "Sleep well, my love."

"You're disgusting..." Lucy complained while nestling closer to Arthur's warm body. "I'll scratch your records." Arthur mumbled. "You wouldn't dare!" Lucy screamed and sat up. Linus pushed him back onto the mattress. "Go to sleep! Both of you!" he laughed.

He might have never expected to get any of this but he was very happy he got so much more lucky than he had ever dared to hope.