Chapter 22- The cave

Wyatt pinned up all the pictures he had taken from the morgue. He moved the board to the Beekeeper's shed.

"Enid wouldn't let me keep this in my dorm, and I was worried someone might walk in and see it." Wyatt explains.

"No worries. Mi colmena es su Colmena. I assume this creature is the that's been rampaging the woods?" Eugene asks gesturing to the monster with circles around it.

"You've heard about it before?" Wyatt asks surprised.

"Rumors. Mr. Fitts banned me from bug-hunting until further notice. Claimed a bear was on the loose, which I knew was a lie. Didn't match their hibernation schedules."

Wyatt glanced at him impressed. Then he looked at the windows at the path that lead to the shed in search for the young girl.

"Is Y/n coming?" Wyatt asks in hopes of being subtle.

Eugene shook his head. "No, she said she had to complete some homework. I think it's because of the upcoming dance. Did you hear she is going with Xavier Thorpe?" Eugene asks.

Wyatt's fists clenched, guilt and jealousy flowing into his body. "I head." He says through clenched teeth.

"Speaking of which, could you give this to Enid?" Eugene asks pulling out a jar of honey. "Put in a good word for me? I hear she is still looking for a date to the Rave'N."

"Eugene!" Wyatt says sharply.

"I knew the chances of her asking me to a date are next to zero, but I don't care. I'll keep putting myself until she notices." Eugene insists.

"And if she never does?" 

"She will." Eugene says confidently. "I'm playing the long game; my moms say that people will appreciate me when I am older. I know they're probably trying to make me feel better, but-"

"Listen." Wyatt says cutting him off. "People like me, you and Y/n, were different. We're original thinkers, intrepid outliers in the vast cesspool of adolescence. We don't need these inane rights of passage to validate who we are."

"So you're not going to the Rave'N either?" 

"No, we don't need to attend events so...idiotic." Wyatt says wincing on the inside.

"But Y/n's going. With Xavier." Eugene says sounding slightly disgusted. Eugene hoped that Wyatt would have asked out his friend.

"It's not like she likes Xavier!" He snaps. "It's for ulterior motives."

He turned towards the board. "Sketches are the closest thing we have to a lead to try and stop this thing."

Eugene looked at the sketch closely. "That circle...I know where that is." He realizes.

"Show me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wyatt held up the drawing to his face and then brought it down to make sure they were at the correct location. Which was a creepy cave, a very creepy one if you ask me.

"It's definitely a match. What were you doing out here anyway?" Wyatt asks.

"Collecting specimens. This place is ground zero for gypsy moths. You think it's in there?" Eugene asks.

(I am afraid of moths and butterflies, don't ask me why. It's a childhood fear.)

"Only one way to find out."

Wyatt approached the entrance with Eugene following him.

"I am not a huge fan of enclosed spaces. I am claustrophobic."