Chapter 34- Murder of the mayor

Wyatt held the drawing in front of his face and brought it down, revealing the Gates' mansion with Y/n beside him.

"This is where Garret Gates lived, the boy who my father was accused of murdering"

Wyatt took Y/n's hand walked towards the gate and lightly pushed it, realizing the gate was already open.

"The sheriff told me his family died. Along with their legacy of hate."

Wyatt pushed open the gate and walked in Y/n following him.

"But ghosts don't kill  the living. Goody showed me this house for a reason. I need to unlock it's secrets, or die trying."

Wyatt approached the front door with Y/n and was about to open it but he peered through the tinted windows and noticed that someone was inside. And that someone was about to exit.

Wyatt grabbed Y/n and pinned her against the wall hiding the both of them from Y/n adnWyatt covered her mouth as she was bout to gasp. The Mayor looked around walked out and locked the front door of the property. Wyatt, Y/n and Thing watched as the Mayor walked back to his car.

"I need a distraction." Wyatt whispered to Thing.

Mayor Walker picked up his phone and called someone. "Sheriff pick up your damn phone, it's Noble. Listen I think I know who is behind this..."

The Mayor was interrupted by Thing throwing pebbles at him. He looked around confused and went back to speaking into the phone.

"It's a long shot. I'm going to have to lay it down for you. We'll do it over pie at the the Weathervane, just like the old days. See you soon."

Wyatt took Y/n's hand again and snuck past the Mayor into his car and opened the door climbing in. Thing followed after him. Wyatt closed the trunk as the Mayor got in and drove the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was night as the Mayor parked across the Weathervane. Sheriff Galpin sitting down at a booth, spotting the Mayor arriving.

Wyatt and Y/n poked their heads above the seats of the car as the Mayor made his way across the road towards the cafe. 

The Mayor only made it half-way before a blue and white Cadillac came out of nowhere and hit the mayor. 

Y/n let out a gasp of shock and covered her mouth with her hand watching the scene in front of her, tears filling her eyes. Wyatt simply watched the scene in front.

"NO!" Sheriff Galpin screamed as Wyatt and Y/n climbed out of the car as the sheriff ran towards the mayor.

"Noble!" The sheriff cried.

He knelt down near the body and lifted the mayor's head. The sheriff glanced at the crowd forming. "Call 911! Get an ambulance!" The sheriff orders.

Wyatt and Y/n walked towards the sheriff as he glanced in their direction, Y/n looking pale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Sheriff ran his hands over his face as he sat in a booth across Wyatt and Y/n. Y/n looked traumatized and was hugging herself. Through the window, an ambulance drove away followed by police cars.

"Well, he's alive, barely. I'll take you back after you have given your statements." The Sheriff said looking at both of you.

"I already gave it to your deputy. Blue Cadillac, no license plates."

"Yeah, I know." The Sheriff took out a recorder and placed it on the table."I want a better one, what were you two doing at the back of the mayor's car?"

"I...I was taking Y/n out on a...date." Wyatt lies.

"To the Gates Mansion? What the hell were you two doing there?"

"House hunting." Wyatt replies sarcastically.

The Sheriff rolled his eyes.

"We both were walking around and overheard the call to you and got intrigued."

"Back when the mayor was sheriff. He used have a lot of wild theories on cases. So...we'd dissect them over a pie in that booth over there. Most of the time they went nowhere." The Sheriff explains.

"Call me old fashioned," Y/n spoke up, "when someone is run over on their way to give police key information, it usually means they are onto something. And all those signs point to the Gates' family and that house."

The Sheriff looked at her unconvinced. "The Gates family? How? They are all dead.Every last one of them? And I don't believe in ghosts."

"What about Laurel Gates?" You ask.

"What about her?" The Sheriff asked.

"In her case file it said that she died overseas, but her body was never found?" You ask raising your eyebrow hinting.

"You mean to say that you think she is alive? But how? She would have showed up if she wasn't." The sheriff argues.

"Perhaps, unless she has other plans."

You picked up the recorder and pushed it back towards the sheriff. He stood up and left.

~time skip by Lady Gaga grounding Wyatt~

Wyatt sat at his desk typing away on his typewriter when Ms. Thornhill walked in.

"Wyatt, I heard what happened to Mayor Walker. Are you alright? I can't imagine witnessing something like that." She said.

"It was on my bucket list." He replies looking at her. "You can tell the warden, I'm still in my cell."

Thornhill sighed "Principal Weems is only looking out for you Wyatt. You could've been seriously hurt or injured. " She looked a this typewriter. "How goes the novel?" She asks.

"Viper's investigation has been thwarted on several fronts. He is plotting his next steps with his girlfriend."

"Sounds intriguing." She compliments and held up a book. "I saw this on my bookshelf and thought of you."

It was 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelly. "She wrote it when she was only 19."

"I know, she's both my literary hero and nemesis.I have only 364 days to beat her."

"Well, I think it's very smart that you're focusing on literary monsters and leaving the real ones to authorities." Ms. Thornhill says placing a hand on her hip.

"'No man chooses evil because it's evil. He only mistakes it for the happiness, the good he seeks.' Mary Shelly wrote that line to describe people like Weems, who do bad things under the disguise of protecting the greater good." Wyatt held up the book. "Did she put you up to this? Encourage me to pursue other interests?"

Ms. Thornhill shook her head. "No, but she will expel you if you continue to defy her." She warns.

"So you're only trying to look out for my best interests?"

"Always, I think we're a lot alike."

"We aren't" Wyatt answers harshly, holding the book out to her. "I don't need your help or pity. I already mother, and therapist I think that's enough torture for me."

Ms. Thornhill took the book back and sighed dejectedly as she left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiiii,

Hope you liked this chapter! Please vote and comment. Love you guys!

All the love,

Hermione <3